The Flash Opens to $55 Million Domestically: “An Unmitigated Disaster”

Was this always like this? I haven't really been paying attention to them before 2020
Without following the paper trails it's difficult to say who owns what, beyond the Disney/Warner empires, but theatrical runs have been tanking for the better part of two decades and I'm sure interested parties are desperate to hype their projects in order to get what they can. The industry has changed quite a bit in that it often ends up depending on a franchise, or non-movie IP, to survive and when one isn't present it appears to be on the verge of implosion. DC, however, just keeps missing the mark as Marvel, while not getting the huge numbers it once did, can still pull in moviegoers for some impressive numbers (GOTG3 and Into the Spiderverse are both around the half-billion mark globally), and if you compare either to this movie that's pretty epic.

On a side note, skipped to the end of Avatar Way of Water movie and got bored around 3/4 of the way into it. Yeah, rinse and repeat. I'm pretty sure I'm done with this franchise and I have zero interest in buying a physical copy.

I liked the first Wonder Woman, but I haven't mustered the courage to watch the second one yet. I heard too many terrible things.
Yeah, it's pretty bad and after that I'm not surprised the third was put on hold and then Disney did the same with Jenkin's SW project.

I don't understand why is the media acting like cheerleaders of the industry?
Because you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Most of the media companies have a common parent company with the big Hollywood studios.

CNN - Warner
Fox - well, News is still owned by Fox, but Disney now owns the movie studios (along with owning ABC)
Gannett (largest newspaper publisher in US) has a deal with Lantern (was TWC) for movie rights

It goes on and on...

Last edited:
Because you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Most of the media companies have a common parent company with the big Hollywood studios.
I don't think it is just the corporate overlords, not all outlets belong to the same sphere of influence as the movie studios.

It seems more like a mindset of the journalists involved. And not just in the movie industry but gaming also. Always trying to lecture the audience why they should or should not like a thing instead of doing actual reviews and reporting.

I don't think it is just the corporate overlords, not all outlets belong to the same sphere of influence as the movie studios.
More like if we don't like your review you wont get early access any more. Way back we had a movie TV show and they were mostly positive about movies that were about to launch, you had to read between the lines to get a better idea.

A dutch show was not so subtle and they had to stop the show after a couple years as they lost access by beeing open and honest.

We watched this Saturday on Max. Honestly, we enjoyed it. I told my wife how it utterly flopped, but that likely had more to do with the drama surrounding Ezra than anything else. Quite a shame really. I'm not saying the movie is great but I've watched worse and I can see us rewatching this again sometime. The many cameos are fun. The CGI is typical DC-meh. My biggest complaint is the camera switching at the beginning when Barry was talking to various characters before things got rolling (particularly the love interest). Seriously could've set a 3-5 second timer per switch. Useless and dizzying. On the other hand really enjoyed most of the camera shots for the final battle sequences.

Become a Patron!
Back