The Gran Turismo Movie Gets a 2nd Trailer Ahead of Its August 11 Worldwide Release Emphasizing Its True Story Angle

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Sony Pictures has released a 2nd trailer for the Gran Turismo movie which places a greater emphasis on the true story for which it is based. The new trailer encapsulates the series of events that led to a team of videogame racers being recruited to compete for a chance of becoming a part of a real-life racing team. The focus of the story is on Jann Mardenborough who is seen at the beginning of the trailer evading police in a high-speed chase as he speeds home to join an online competition only to be met by his upset father. From there it can be seen how he must overcome the challenges of going from virtual to real while learning how to become confident in himself following a near-death accident.

See full article...

The driving scenes they're showing don't inspire confidence in this movie. Despite filming professional drivers racing these vehicles, it looks like a lot of CGI was used. If you have to wait 60 minutes to get to any of the driving, I will be extremely disappointed. There has been a depressing lack of real driving scenes in movies for decades, at this point.

The driving scenes they're showing don't inspire confidence in this movie. Despite filming professional drivers racing these vehicles, it looks like a lot of CGI was used. If you have to wait 60 minutes to get to any of the driving, I will be extremely disappointed. There has been a depressing lack of real driving scenes in movies for decades, at this point.
Did you not watch Ford Vs Ferrari. I enjoyed that. but it was more the story of a man than the driving itself.

I like the story for this but I felt the same about the CGI in the trailer. I could see how they were trying to mimic the game's perspective but it didn't seem right.

Did you not watch Ford Vs Ferrari. I enjoyed that. but it was more the story of a man than the driving itself.
I did and enjoyed it, but James Mangold had no idea of how to direct the racing scenes. I get that what they did specifically with Le Mans at the end was due to the mockup track they made, but the Texas World Speedway stand-in for Daytona didn't work either. You get no sense of where the cars are or what they're doing while going around the track. Ron Howard did a better job with the racing scenes in Rush, in my opinion. Still, as far as driving scenes in general go, nothing has really topped the classics like Ronin, To Live and Die in L.A., Vanishing Point, and Bullitt. Need for Speed did a pretty good job up until the end.

Why can't it be both? This is why I like pre 2000 movies, guaranteed that every bit of driving is real, the only way they can ruin it is if they speed up the footage, but thankfully not all directors did that unlike today where everything and the kitchen sink is cgi too.

I mean it's no Days of Thunder with Tom Cruise. ;)
Despite the editing errors in that movie, the racing scenes were actually pretty good. It's laughable to me today how they frequently jumped between different tracks during the same scene except at the Darlington and Daytona races, though. I've been wondering what a sequel to that would be like after Top Gun: Maverick. 😁

Become a Patron!
Back