"The Mandalorian" Is Proving to Be Extremely Popular with Pirates

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Disney's new streaming series, "The Mandalorian," is set to become the most pirated show of 2019. That doesn't come as much of a surprise due to the advertising blitz behind Disney+ and the popularity of the Star Wars brand, but the show has received an incredible response on torrent sites, which began serving HD rips within hours of the service's debut. Disney is trying to contain the damage with takedown requests, but with The Mandalorian being exclusive to a few select regions, the piracy is especially rampant.

The fact that Disney+ isn’t available in many countries is similar to HBO’s situation when Game of Thrones first came out. This serves as a piracy incentive. After all, people who want to watch Mandalorian in the UK, Australia, and elsewhere, have few other options than to pirate. The limited release of Disney+ may actually breed some new pirates. Even worse, there is a chance that many of these pirates may not go legal when the streaming service officially launches in their country.

On a side note, I just watched this today on Disney+ and it's amazing. This is how Star Wars should be. It's not overly convoluted yet surprises you from time to time. It has fun and interesting characters which entertain. The action's there as well as all the classic Star Wars elements you would expect. It also tells its own story without relying too much on nostalgia to sell it.

Last edited:
I've only seen the first - I agree, it's not bad

That being said - if something's good and it's locked behind any type of restriction, someone's going to see value in removing said restriction. DRM is just like door locks - it keeps honest people honest, but nothing is 100% secure.

We loved it. I can see certain production styles that definitely make it a t.v. show but then it has so many little details that even the most hardcore star wars addict will be left drooling for more. Loved It! Honestly, it's the Jango/Boba story people have wanted for decades but they created a new character for. Gotta say that J. Favreau and company have really done well and only hope they can keep the momentum for the rest.

I once sailed those seas for the better part of two decades, even before the ship sailed when it took knowing someone to get a vhs copy of something, and I think it's unfortunate this show is being pirated so much. Even the basic subscription is pretty modest for a year. I only hope that it promotes a legitimate revenue stream in the end. The show deserves it. I can easily see a dark side of where this service ends up but its starting in a nice way. At the moment we've got no regrets getting it. It's actually leading us to stop our basic cable package.

I've only seen the first - I agree, it's not bad

That being said - if something's good and it's locked behind any type of restriction, someone's going to see value in removing said restriction. DRM is just like door locks - it keeps honest people honest, but nothing is 100% secure.
Too true. I feel ambiguity in defending locks but as I said the price is pretty modest for what you get out of it. Funny though, just this week on other fronts I've said that if someone makes a lock that someone else will make a way to break it.

Yeah, I don't think Disney+ pricing is bad at all, which is shocking that I'm defending Disney pricing on anything, but yeah.

It isn't quite to the point where my wife is ready to cut the cord (I haven't watched any cable TV in years, but she has her shows and that's that), but it's getting really really close. The death of a thousand small subscription fees is what I'm worried about now.

Yeah, I don't think Disney+ pricing is bad at all, which is shocking that I'm defending Disney pricing on anything, but yeah.

It isn't quite to the point where my wife is ready to cut the cord (I haven't watched any cable TV in years, but she has her shows and that's that), but it's getting really really close. The death of a thousand small subscription fees is what I'm worried about now.

From vhs>dvd>BD>4k disc, I've felt the same. Still walk funny after some purchases over the decades. I pretty much avoided the recent 4k re-releases/upscales and couldn't believe how many were on the service plus how many things you simply couldn't buy that were too. Totallly impressed, at the moment. A bit skeptical about what the price will be a year or two down the road though.

I got lucky. My wife's tastes are mostly what's here on disney. Also feeling those subscription fees too. We've got prime/DC/Netflix/Disney+ bundle now but she was excited when I told her we'd be getting rid of cable by 2020. I flat out refuse to do CBS or Warner though. Seriously waiting for that magical entrepreneur to pull off the deal that binds the ring of all these though, even if that's a fantasy.

Yeah and how many of those files are seeds by Disney themselves? All of them?
Free advertising its what is called.

Started watching this yesterday and I'm impressed. Just enough balance of humor and action along with great character building. I feel the new Star Wars movies try to hard to force the humor now whereas in the earlier movies it just blended in like this series does.
Based on the topic of the thread, it's a shame that pirating does happen but also they should have expected this with making it an exclusive to one streaming service.

..wait .. I thought this was a new Linux distro ..? :unsure:

My wife works for Spectrum/Charter now and we get free cable .. I still don't watch it. But I'd like to get Disney+

Its going great with the mandalorian. Excellent show so far. Makes me hate the movies even more.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and at first I was gritting my teeth waiting for the abortion that Disney has made out of Star Wars but I gotta say this show is pretty bad ***! Maybe Disney has taken the hint and have stopped forcing politics in Star Wars and are just concentrating on telling a great story.

So far I'm really impressed and liking it and looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

Become a Patron!
Back