The Super Mario Bros. Movie Tops $678 Million Globally to Become the Highest-Grossing Movie of 2023

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The Super Mario Bros. movie just had another record-breaking 2nd weekend at the box office after reaching $678 million in worldwide ticket sales. Despite being panned by critics early on The Super Mario Bros. movie has found fans on a global level. It has even become the 2nd highest-grossing animated movie in the U.S. since 2019's Demon Slayer: Mugen Train and is quickly closing the gap to the number one spot held by Minions: The Rise of Gru which earned just over $942 million and was also a Universal/Illumination project. It would appear that Universal/Illumination is on its way to taking the crown formerly held by Disney/Pixar for repeated animated box-office records now.

See full article...

At least this one is full CG, not a mix of that and live-action like those utterly horrible Sonic movies.

I figure unless we give in to the tin hat theory which I do sometimes ponder, that perhaps some movies are just magically moving money, the bottom line out there is that someone has to be going to see them when the ticket sales get this epic. This really isn't my thing so odds are that I still won't see it even after it hits streaming.

Become a Patron!
Back