The Thermaltake MS-1 M.2 2280 SSD Cooler Is Capable of Keeping Gen5 SSDs Cool While Performing up to 12K Read/11K Write Speeds

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The Thermaltake MS-1 M.2 2280 SSD cooler is designed to keep some of the fastest Gen5 drives cool while performing high-speed data transfers. With its 8000 rpm/16 dB-A micro-blower fan, it is capable of quietly pushing 0.44 CFM of air through the aluminum heatsink with a static pressure of 1.6 mm. The 8-fin heatsink features a direct contact aluminum Ø6 mm heatpipe for optimal heat transfer.

See full article...

Is it me or has this gotten out of hand with needing these special coolers to cool SSD's now? I'm all about performance but man this is getting crazy.

Same thing happened with video cards. They use to be passively cooled remember.

It's the nature of improving performance, more Wattage, more performance, faster frequencies, demands more cooling. It is inevitable.

I'd like to get this cooler to do some thermal testing of SSDs, that could be a neat review. I've jotted this one down as a review idea.

there are aftermarket waterblocks for NVME drives so that's a thing already. I imagine a water block would keep an NVME cool just fine.

Problem is keeping them too cool, if I remember correctly there is a temperature zone sweet spot for NVME performance.

Is it me or has this gotten out of hand with needing these special coolers to cool SSD's now? I'm all about performance but man this is getting crazy.
It's all about the speed. There are slower Gen5 drives that don't need them but this thing is for those that want to keep one pegged at max potential. I'm not thrilled with them either by it is the way of things when wanting to be cutting edge in terms of performance.

It's all about the speed. There are slower Gen5 drives that don't need them but this thing is for those that want to keep one pegged at max potential. I'm not thrilled with them either by it is the way of things when wanting to be cutting edge in terms of performance.
Not to mention how fast you'll burn through the life cycle.

Just go x8 iso x4 and you can double the speed without the heat :p

Become a Patron!
Back