The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC Hotfix Released by CD PROJEKT RED, Addresses Next-Gen Update’s Stability and Performance Issues

I got Horizon: Zero Dawn a while back pretty cheap through a Humble Bundle sale and having some credit there. I didn't get far into the game because I didn't have time to concentrate on it (although I will be doing a playthrough somewhat soon) but I was able to play it will enough at 1080p with a Ryzen 5800x and Radeon RX570. Sure, many of the graphical options were turned down but the game still looked good enough to me and for what I did play through the performance was just fine and I'm sure my RX570 is closer to the minimum specs than the recommended. When I start it up again I'll have the advantage of upgrading to an RX 6750xt so I'll be able to turn up any eye candy I want.

Again, I didn't play much but it was **** fun. I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into the game.
Sounds good! I'll probably hold off for now, at least until I have a better sense of what to expect at the resolution I'd be playing.
Ironically, I've had Witcher 3 for a while now but did little more than run through the intro. I enjoyed the first two games when I played them years ago although the combat for both basically sucks. The story was very enjoyable although the story in the first I found to be better.
The first game was in many respects my favorite. The Witcher 3 was a great game overall (especially with the expansions), but sometimes the player's role felt a little too passive. There's more hand-holding than the previous games, cutscenes accompanied by long-winded speeches weren't always welcome, and too many quests were reduced to "use your witcher senses" — a mechanic that requires no thought from the player. That doesn't exactly read like a great sales pitch for TW3, but those are mostly quibbles that are overshadowed by the positives.

If you enjoyed the first games, I'd strongly encourage you to give the third a shot. It may take a little while to get sucked into it. I'd try to at least make it out of the White Orchard before drawing any conclusions, though some find they need to proceed a good ways further before they're hooked. Personally, I found Blood and Wine even better than the main story.

A comment regarding the in-game Gwent card game: I completely ignored it on my first playthrough, and there are no negative consequences (that I can recall) for doing so, but I compulsively collected all the cards on subsequent playthroughs. I thought it was pretty fun and opened up a few interesting side quests, but YMMV.

(I don't know how anyone can manage to just stick to the "main" quests. The end result is always so unsatisfying. Not just in this game, but all story-driven RPGs I've played.)

Best advice is to ignore my ramblings and enjoy the game! :)
It's another game in my backlog I expect to play soon although I'm not looking forward to the combat. Combat in the Witcher games has always been the worst part.
The mechanical aspect of combat is indeed quite clumsy, but its ancillary components such as the skill trees, alchemy, equipment and so forth, can help offset its deficiency and make it more interesting and enjoyable in my opinion. But I would say that is true of all the Witcher games. For what it's worth, I thought TW3 combat was much improved over TW2, minus the weapon and armor repair tedium. (Ugh, just remembered a certain optional encounter in the sewers of Loc Muinne from TW2.) Just don't bother with crossbows. ;) The first Witcher is difficult to compare, as combat was almost RTwP.
I recently acquired a cheap gamepad and might try playing with that to see how I do.
If you're anything like me, you might prefer the mouse and KB just for reasons of familiarity, but it certainly can't hurt to try both. I bought a wired Xbox 360 controller years ago for use with certain games, but never found the patience to accustom myself to it. Lately I've been thinking of trying again, but with a modern controller. Not sure if there's a go-to controller for the PC.
For reference, these games are being played under Linux.
(y)

A comment regarding the in-game Gwent card game: I completely ignored it on my first playthrough, and there are no negative consequences (that I can recall) for doing so, but I compulsively collected all the cards on subsequent playthroughs. I thought it was pretty fun and opened up a few interesting side quests, but YMMV.

I never understood the mini game, every playtrough of the main game I tried to beat that first guy that is supposed to teach the game to you, always failed and never touched it again afterwards.

The game itself is great, just annoying that there are gwant quests that you see on the map if you won't want to take them to clutter your quest log.

The first game was in many respects my favorite. The Witcher 3 was a great game overall (especially with the expansions), but sometimes the player's role felt a little too passive. There's more hand-holding than the previous games, cutscenes accompanied by long-winded speeches weren't always welcome, and too many quests were reduced to "use your witcher senses" — a mechanic that requires no thought from the player. That doesn't exactly read like a great sales pitch for TW3, but those are mostly quibbles that are overshadowed by the positives.

Heh... sorry this was TOO on point not to reference. ;)

If you're anything like me, you might prefer the mouse and KB just for reasons of familiarity, but it certainly can't hurt to try both. I bought a wired Xbox 360 controller years ago for use with certain games, but never found the patience to accustom myself to it. Lately I've been thinking of trying again, but with a modern controller. Not sure if there's a go-to controller for the PC.
For me one of the modern wired xbox whatever edition controllers work greak. You KNOW they will work with windows and you know games that use controllers will be compatible.

For me one of the modern wired xbox whatever edition controllers work greak. You KNOW they will work with windows and you know games that use controllers will be compatible.
That's why I switched to them years ago after trying so many aftermarket ones back in the early 90s-early 2000s and I really got sick of all the tricks for mapping things because I just wanted it to work. I use the wireless ones because the latency is acceptable with the games I play. The big trick I've seen with the newer BT ones is that if the battery gets low or it's just out of range, it can really cause some funny issues with frame stutters.

Just don't bother with crossbows
So, if you want to knock something out of the air - that's what the crossbow is for. It's also the only weapon you can use underwater, and it's highly effective there, but so are enemies underwater too, regardless of level.

The big trick I've seen with the newer BT ones is that if the battery gets low or it's just out of range, it can really cause some funny issues with frame stutters.
This is why I've sourced the wireless USB dongle. It works quite a bit better than pure Bluetooth, which I've given up on while sitting next to the system in use.

Not sure if there's a go-to controller for the PC.
Most recent Xbox controller. Anything else is less - Microsoft still knows how to make killer peripherals. Can get a rechargeable docking station for it that you just set it on when not playing (replaces the bottom cover etc.).

(y)
It's almost guaranteed that I'll end up preferring mouse and keyboard even if I do try the controller. I've tried the controller with a couple other games and the results were not exactly acceptable. Part of the problem is the last time I used a controller on a regular basis was in the SNES heyday as that was the last console I owned. After that it was all computer with mouse and keyboard with the occasional joystick for games like X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Off the top of my head about the only game type I'd go for a controller first would be Street Fighter type games. There's no way I'd use mouse and keyboard for that.

So, if you want to knock something out of the air - that's what the crossbow is for. It's also the only weapon you can use underwater, and it's highly effective there, but so are enemies underwater too, regardless of level.
Yeah, that's a fair point. Crossbows have their use in a few situations — probably more than I initially remembered. I would still advise any new player not to waste limited ability points on them though. They also didn't scale properly when I played, an issue that affects NG+ unless it's since been addressed by a patch. I don't recall encountering any setbacks as a result, however, likely because of the limited use they see throughout the game.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Crossbows have their use in a few situations — probably more than I initially remembered. I would still advise any new player not to waste limited ability points on them though. They also didn't scale properly when I played, an issue that affects NG+ unless it's since been addressed by a patch. I don't recall encountering any setbacks as a result, however, likely because of the limited use they see throughout the game.
The uses for them work regardless of whatever you put into them skillwise etc. - you need to have one, but that's it. If you pick up a better one, use it, better bolts, use them, etc.

It's almost guaranteed that I'll end up preferring mouse and keyboard even if I do try the controller.
I understand this perspective. It's one I carried for... decades.

However, as you note for fighting games, there are games that are smoother with a controller. I won't say TW3 is better or with either, but that using an Xbox One controller in my case is seamless.

If the game were a shooter, I'd have never bothered. But TW3, as well as the Jedi Fallen Order game (and that one especially so) just run better with a controller.

The uses for them work regardless of whatever you put into them skillwise etc. - you need to have one, but that's it. If you pick up a better one, use it, better bolts, use them, etc.
My comment to @SmokeRngs about crossbows was just a shorthand way of expressing that they were a pretty a lackluster part of the game, not a comprehensive guide on their use. It isn't worth wasting limited resources such as ability points on crossbows, or getting too excited about them in general. That doesn't mean it's necessary or advisable to avoid them at all costs. :) There aren't any bonus points from completing the game with crossbow that Vesemir gives the player near the beginning, though it's probably not hard to do. In fact, it may be possible to complete the game without ever using a crossbow, at the expense of missing out on some side quests.
The game itself is great, just annoying that there are gwant quests that you see on the map if you won't want to take them to clutter your quest log.
Heh, that sort of reminds me of my first game. All those Gwent-related side quests and dialogue options do grow annoying if you don't have any interest in the card game. They just keep shoving it in your face.

In fact, it may be possible to complete the game without ever using a crossbow, at the expense of missing out on some side quests.
I'm sure it possible but there are some nerve racking horse races you have to use them with. Other than that moment with Vesemir I almost never use them. I prefer Igni to get the attention of things in the air. However, I think the most powerful crossbow is the one you get if you win the knights tourney in one of the expansions. On the Igni note, even after all these years and replays, I just found out about the Igni skill that essentially lets Geralt become a flamethrower. I saw it in a video over the summer and just used it. Good times ;)

Become a Patron!
Back