The Witcher Remake Will Be an Open-World RPG

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Witcher Remake should differ significantly from the original beyond improved visuals, according to a new slide deck that CD PROJEKT Group released today that can confirm the modern reimagining inspired by Andrzej Sapkowski's fantasy novel series will be a "story-driven, single-player open-world RPG."

See full article...

I wonder how long CDPR plans to milk the Witcher cash cow, and how many more derivative products they have waiting in the wings.

I'm ambivalent about the Witcher series. I have all three main titles, but after playing partway through the first two, they never seemed to grab me or compelled me to play further. Basically, I think the protagonist is offputting and I just cannot relate to him or his motivations. It takes more than bewbs on screen to make interesting gameplay. I bought the third GOTY on a deep discount thinking I would eventually go back and try it. Nope. Never have.

I wonder how long CDPR plans to milk the Witcher cash cow, and how many more derivative products they have waiting in the wings.

I'm ambivalent about the Witcher series. I have all three main titles, but after playing partway through the first two, they never seemed to grab me or compelled me to play further. Basically, I think the protagonist is offputting and I just cannot relate to him or his motivations. It takes more than bewbs on screen to make interesting gameplay. I bought the third GOTY on a deep discount thinking I would eventually go back and try it. Nope. Never have.
Basically my exact disposition towards the witcher games.

I'm definitely a fan of all three but I also know my tastes are somewhat unique (didn't like Fable, was bored with Skyrim, quasi into Dragon's Age, and never got into any computer LOTR or D&D games-although love both otherwise). Used to love the original Might and Magic and Bard's Tale (still can't make it through the last one) games but after them, I tried so many top-down type strategy/RPG games that I was on the verge of giving up on fantasy-type games for PC.

I originally got into the franchise about 10 years ago with the release of the 2nd game and then went onto the 3rd when it was released (although in typical fashion for me it took almost 6 months to a year before I really dug into it). I've replayed them both more times than I can remember and at this point probably have more than 1000 hours between them. However, I've only played the first game once and that was at the beginning of the pandemic when I did a run-through of all three back-to-back. I enjoyed it and can easily see how their resources back then limited their ability to do an open-world game, the same for the 2nd as well but I believe that if they could have, they would have done so back then.

I agree that it would be nice to see CDPR branch out but, for now, they're rooted in this franchise and have already announced many other projects in the works plus something that might follow CP 2077. I suppose if they can expand enough they might delve into another genre or project but for now, it seems they're mostly already committed to as much as they can handle (probably overextended IMO).

I feel like we didn't get the cyberpunk game the universe deserved, so I really hope they do something more with it than a measly DLC for CP2077.

I could not care less for Witcher though. I only have vague memories of playing the first game when it came out, only remember a very specific moment from the game after which I quit which was very close to the start.

I enjoyed Witcher 2 more, played it almost halfway through but at that point I could no longer put up with Geralt's personality. I thought he was a straight arsehole.

I tried to get into 3, but the gameplay was worse than 2, especially the combat (it has that in common with Dragon Age 3). And with Geralt being the same old jerk I had no reason to keep at it.

I'm just afraid that by the time they're finished with it, there won't be much of the original game left. I don't have strong feelings about the open-world design decision. I'm sure I'll be disappointed with the game regardless of how it turns out.

Regarding the protagonist, I may have felt similar to others about playing as Geralt initially, but I thought they gave the player enough leeway in terms of choices that I was able to adapt to the role. If anything, it felt like the player had more agency in the first game than the sequels. OTOH, as much as I enjoyed the games, there were more than a few situations where his personality really did irritate me, and I wasn't given the option to behave or influence the outcome in the way I would've preferred. So I get the complaints. Maybe future games will allow us the freedom to create our own witcher, or at any rate offer us more flexibility to shape our character.

I hope that CDPR doesn't branch out, but instead dedicates all of its resources to making Witcher games and spinoffs. :p

W3, Skyrim, Fallout... I don't know why, but I just have a really hard time getting into these games, even though they seem to be right up my alley on paper.

W3 particularly was the combat - it never felt right.

I did enjoy the Witcher books, and the show to a lesser extent. I thought the stories were pretty engaging - like dark Grimm's. Yeah, Geralt is an *******, but there was enough story there for me to understand why he was an *******.

There coulda been more bewbs, though. That may be why I ultimately never got past the first act.

Combat in both the second and third Witcher games always felt clumsy to me, though I still found it enjoyable for the most part.

Biggest combat-related gameplay annoyance for me was probably related to alchemy. I invested many of the limited skill points into the alchemy tree, but because one couldn't consume potions at will, it got really frustrating when then the game would keep the status-effect timer running during long cutscenes and dialogue sequences, or for some reason decided to dispel all potion effects at a critical transition point. The potion mechanics varied from game to game, and it's been quite a while since I've played any of them. For example, one could consume potions during combat in the first game, but not the sequels. One could also be hit by an attack during the potion-drinking animation in TW1, which seemed fair and realistic. But if memory serves, Geralt was allowed to eat a chicken sandwich and chase it down with a beer during combat in TW3, but potions were out of the question.

The Witcher 2 prologue was hilarious. It was more difficult than the rest of the game combined. My character was immediately incinerated after a loading screen, IIRC.

I never played Fallout. Skyrim was fun to mod, but the actual story and quests were a snooze. Combat in Skyrim also felt awkward. I had to toggle back and forth between first- and third-person perspective. First-person view was for spells and ranged weapons only — otherwise I couldn't see ****, not even the enemy right in front of me if the model was large enough. I tried changing the FOV, but it still didn't feel right. It felt crippling to be unable to survey the surrounding environment, especially when deprived of all other senses, and strange for an open-world game in which exploration is a key element. I've mostly avoided games with a (primarily) first-person POV because the perspective seems ill-suited for the types of games I enjoy playing.
There coulda been more bewbs, though. That may be why I ultimately never got past the first act.
I fear you missed out big time. And not only on boobies, but the full-frontal RPG... experience. And more than once, if you played your cards* right. But with the enhancements coming next month, some of which are said to affect graphics, you have the perfect excuse to give it another whirl. ;)

*That reminds me of the in-game collectable cards awarded to the player in the first game following successful "intimate" encounters. I hope they keep the cards, though I have my doubts they'll survive the level of political correctness demanded by today's audience.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back