There’s Nothing Stopping Starfield from Adding NVIDIA DLSS: AMD

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Will Starfield ever get an official implementation of NVIDIA DLSS? Possibly, but that's largely up to Bethesda Game Studios, according to AMD gaming chief Frank Azor, who told an editor with The Verge last week that there's nothing stopping the developer from adding NVIDIA's performance-enhancing technology, which is being updated later this year with Ray Reconstruction for improved ray-traced image quality, to its highly anticipated space-faring RPG. The comments come despite AMD being Starfield's official PC partner, a collaboration that seemingly implied exclusive support for its own FSR upscaling technology.

See full article...

I'm betting it wasn't exclusivity but an agreement not to work with Nvidia engineering on the product since AMD was providing tech/support. Probably as an IP Protection sort of thing.

Even if Bethesda doesn't add DLSS to the game, it probably won't be much trouble for a community mod to do it. I see it with plenty of other games that don't ship with DLSS.

What I want to see is more support for DLAA.

Yeah the fact AMD 'won't' let Bethesda comment on it is proof enough to me there is something more to the story

"nothing" is not the term I would use and it isn't the term Azor used either because there is something

Well, in my experience with AMD only type recent titles, and I think the only ones currently have are the last few RE games, if you've got anything upwards 4070 Ti-4090 NV card's performance it's kind of a moot point. At least with those games, things are so scalable that DLSS is largely unneeded. Obviously, I can't say for this but I haven't seen anything in the trailers to make me think otherwise, yet.

However, for owners of Intel GPUs, yeah XeSS can definitely help them to reach their potential.

I did read the story and Azor does say that there's money, contracts, support, and timelines involved between AMD and the developers so at first yes things will be like this but after that, there's nothing stopping the developers from expanding their support.

Honestly, though, I'd say that someone will get it out for free before then so just give it some time. I'm about to get RE4 soon and was googling DLSS for it and folks started getting DLSS2 and XeSS out within weeks and I can't remember if I saw anything for 3 but I wouldn't be surprised but this does seem to be a growing trend for the community to be able to beat contract deadlines ahead of time these days.

Become a Patron!
Back