Todd Howard on Potential Starfield and Elder Scrolls Shows: “I’ll Probably Say No”

A Starfield TV show true to the game would be like watching paint dry.

Last edited:
I believe this already is. SO BOOORING. I'm contemplating watching it at 2x speed. The second episode was somewhat better than the first, but still tons of unnecessarily long dragged out scenes and wasted screentime. And I still don't know if it wants to be serious or funny.

I believe this already is. SO BOOORING. I'm contemplating watching it at 2x speed. The second episode was somewhat better than the first, but still tons of unnecessarily long dragged out scenes and wasted screentime. And I still don't know if it wants to be serious or funny.
Have you not played the games? I'm just curious what your expectations were going in?

My feeling exactly and also why I haven't been able to get back to playing that game.
I had it on Game Pass and cancelled my subscription. I played Starfield a lot for a month or so but got bored. The ship building is the part of the game I spent the most time on. To be fair, I probably will get it on Steam at some point, but that will be after the Creation kit is released and hopefully after some decent patches are added to the game.

Have you not played the games? I'm just curious what your expectations were going in?
Do you guys have phones?

I played all the games except for Fallout 76. And they weren't boring, exploring is exciting, but watching actors boredly walk from place to place then having dragged out fruitless conversations is very different.

As for the tone, the games were clearly satire to a degree, but it always maintained in universe seriousness.

The show however is not just satire, it appears to be comedy that is unfunny, while wanting to maintain a facade of seriousness by adding lots of pointless gore. And the characters are goofy, not taking themselves seriously, acting like it is a game. As if they are just players in a videogame acting out of character and not acknowledging their situation. The sets and cgi backgrounds might give the appearance of a wasteland, but everyone is happy go lucky, not a single care in the world, nobody seems at all concerned about food or water.

It's taken a long time, and a lot of time trying, but I've basically learned that I'm not a fan of most Bethesda games. My dad picked up the first Fallout game in a thrift store and gave it to me. I barely remember installing it and playing for 15 minutes before getting bored but I had already heard through the grapevine that it was supposed to be a great game. Not long after that a friend gave me an awesome deal on their Xbox when they upgraded to a 360 and I splurged on a bunch of cheap games from GameStop with Morrowind being one of them. Also got bored after numerous attempts to play but appreciated the world-building and graphics.

Next up was Elderscrolls. Now I admit I got into this game for about 2 years or so, bought it at release, but once I beat it I could never make it back for more than a few minutes before getting bored with it. Early on though I started to feel disengaged with the voice acting since after a bit it sounded like there were maybe 6 people doing hundreds of characters. I know that's not true but its another example of the generic feel I get Bethesda games but the lore and graphics at least manage to keep me interested to finish it one time. I tried mods and all sorts of stuff but could never get past being burned out with it.

Then came Fallout 4. I waited probably a year or so before getting and this is a great example of how despite some games getting so many great reviews from players and reviewers alike, they are not for everyone, I just checked Steam and I've put in just over 10 hours with it. I do like the graphics to a degree, except for some of that typically bland Bethesda look, but it just didn't grab me. It did make me miss playing Autoduel from the MS-DOS days.

The latest attempt, Starfield, well I really wanted to like it because there was a PC game from the 80s I had really enjoyed and missed playing (can't remember the name, Star or Space something, but remember playing on a Tandy 1000EX and I'm pretty sure it was either an EA or Ubisoft game-back when both companies could still put out games that I enjoyed). I've put 34 hours into it and have major doubts I'll be putting in any more but there's still a chance.

The short end of it is that I don't enjoy their games but am, somewhat, enjoying this series.

The first and second fallout games had nothing to do with Bethesda, they only came in for Fallout 3.
And to shock and horror I was never a fan of Fallout 1 & 2 either. They were hardcore RPGs, and I couldn't even get out of the starting area without dying.
As for Bethesda I did not like Morrowind for reasons I no longer remember.

Fallout 3 was a mixed bag, badly written story, clunky mechanics, but I enjoyed the exploration.

New Vegas was not made by Bethesda, and they are still seething over the fact that people like it more than any of their games. I'm not sure I personally like it more, I liked it for different reasons, but primarily the hardcore mode which required you to sleep, eat, and drink clean water. It elevated the whole experience giving it much more immersion and stakes and made it necessary to plan ahead. The reason I'm not ranking it above Fallout 3 overall is that the exploration was nerfed, the map became restrictive with narrow paths leading to and from locations.

Oblivion
was basically the same story as F3 for me, worthless story, no characters to mention, basic mechanics, but loved to roam in it and do side content. Also modded it extensively but mostly only cosmetic mods.

Skyrim, same thing again, worthless story, except I did not even like the frigid northern setting, but still the only aspect worth anything was the exploration. I did not put more than 40 hours into it, which is much less than previous Bethesda RPGs, but IDK the exact numbers for those pre-steam games.

Fallout 4 had a slightly better story, and finally decent mechanics, I put over 100 hours on the clock, which is a lot for me.

Starfield is the same old, with a new setting. People hate on it much more than the other games, which baffles me as I don't believe it is any worse than those. I played it for 150 hours, which by sheer value for money puts it well above Fallout 4. Of course it is flawed, but so were all the other games. It's not like I don't wish it was even better, but I don't regret buying it at all.

The short end of it is that I don't enjoy their games but am, somewhat, enjoying this series.
I really don't enjoy the series, 2 episodes in, but enjoyed all their games at least to a certain degree except morrowind.

Not sure I'm going to be able to watch the series as I'm not going to sub for it but maybe a DVD release.

My first Bethesda game was morrowind which I never realy got into, it felt like the game world was huge, but every couple steps I had a small "loading" pause that completely killed the mood, also never gotten into Oblivion for some reason, maybe I had something more fun to play, can't remember.

I did enjoy Fallout 3 other then the annoying metro bit (I did not know you had to go trough it to get to an otheriwse inaccesible part of the map for the longest time)

Skyrim was cool, and I got some 150 hours into it but could not tell you anything from the story but exploring was fun once you get somewhat powerful.

Fallout 4 was also decent enough for me to play a good 150 hours, always wanted to return to it but never gotten around to it.

I started starfield but decided to put it on hold while they patch it up some more kinda a bad sign though that I did not care enough to keep playing

Become a Patron!
Back