Trickle Down supply issues (aka F Scalpers)

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast
So the current gen outage is ridiculous... but it is what it is. I see cards trickling out, a drip, but there's movement.

I have another build that I was working on. I have an older RX580 that I plan to throw into it, but I thought - hey, let's see if I can't find something a bit beefier to throw in there. My first thought was to check out EVGA. Since they were doing the queues for the current gen, I thought I'd give them a shot to help support them for doing something pro-consumer. I wouldn't mind a current gen card, but wasn't expecting it and not intending to sign up for (yet another) queue. I went in looking for something like a 2060S, that was available in inventory that I could drop into this build that wouldn't need to be immediately replaced again for 1080p gaming.

Nope. No 2060's. No 2070's. No RTX, not even most 1600 series cards.

In fact, the only cards I could find were a couple of 1650 models, and that was all that was recent. There were some 1030s. 710s. 210s. And 8400s. I thought - hmm. Well EVGA is doing well for themselves obviously. Good on them. So I threw out a bigger net and just popped over to Amazon to see what a 2060S was running of any brand.

$899.

For a 2060S. Yeah, there are cheaper options. The cheapest in stock option for an RTX card of any sort I could find on Amazon - $489. A quick search over at Newegg showed much the same.

My favorite:
$413.41
FREE Shipping
Only 19 left in stock - order soon.

This scalper crap has got a bit out of control.

I have a hard time blaming the retailers - they just want to move product, and it's obviously moving. I'm really starting to despise the third party sales that Newegg and Amazon allow. I wish I could more easily restrict my search options to just first party inventory and cut all that noise out -- if I wanted something resold second hand, I'd check out Ebay or Craig's List.

I hate to say something anti-consumer, like linking warranty coverage to the original purchase only, or requiring the serial number to be recorded by the retailer on original purchase: I've seen both of those done in the past and I'm not a huge fan, although it's really about the only way I could see to even limit scalping like we are seeing it now. There's no way in hell I want any sort of government regulation to step in here, as that will make a bigger mess than anything.

I hate the situation, but honestly, it only exists because people are impatient (or dumb, or both) enough to pay the scalper price. If people wouldn't do that, the scalpers wouldn't exist. So I guess we really have no one but our neighbors to blame. I do distinguish this from people using bots to place personal orders - that's just playing the game against the scalpers, rather than feeding the trolls. The need for a script or bot to place an order is another symptom of the problem, not the root cause.

I wasn't in dire straits for a card this go around, fortunately, so I'll continue to wait. But god help you if you had a machine down or something and needed a replacement. And thank god this isn't for something that's really needed, like food.

I'm looking at buying from places like Best Buy or B&H Photo, so as to avoid the scalpers. I'm trying to put together a system for Christmas, and it's been a very trying experience. It never used to be this difficult.

Scalping only works when there's scarcity. Nvidia and AMD failed to plan for it. AMD will be the bigger loser here, as they are trying to gain market share.

So the current gen outage is ridiculous... but it is what it is. I see cards trickling out, a drip, but there's movement.

I have another build that I was working on. I have an older RX580 that I plan to throw into it, but I thought - hey, let's see if I can't find something a bit beefier to throw in there. My first thought was to check out EVGA. Since they were doing the queues for the current gen, I thought I'd give them a shot to help support them for doing something pro-consumer. I wouldn't mind a current gen card, but wasn't expecting it and not intending to sign up for (yet another) queue. I went in looking for something like a 2060S, that was available in inventory that I could drop into this build that wouldn't need to be immediately replaced again for 1080p gaming.

In fact, the only cards I could find were a couple of 1650 models, and that was all that was recent. There were some 1030s. 710s. 210s. And 8400s. I thought - hmm. Well EVGA is doing well for themselves obviously. Good on them. So I threw out a bigger net and just popped over to Amazon to see what a 2060S was running of any brand.

$899.

For a 2060S. Yeah, there are cheaper options. The cheapest in stock option for an RTX card of any sort I could find on Amazon - $489. A quick search over at Newegg showed much the same.

My favorite:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L35YR6X/?tag=thefpsreview-20

I have a hard time blaming the retailers - they just want to move product, and it's obviously moving. I'm really starting to despise the third party sales that Newegg and Amazon allow. I wish I could more easily restrict my search options to just first party inventory and cut all that noise out -- if I wanted something resold second hand, I'd check out Ebay or Craig's List.

I hate to say something anti-consumer, like linking warranty coverage to the original purchase only, or requiring the serial number to be recorded by the retailer on original purchase: I've seen both of those done in the past and I'm not a huge fan, although it's really about the only way I could see to even limit scalping like we are seeing it now. There's no way in hell I want any sort of government regulation to step in here, as that will make a bigger mess than anything.

I hate the situation, but honestly, it only exists because people are impatient (or dumb, or both) enough to pay the scalper price. If people wouldn't do that, the scalpers wouldn't exist. So I guess we really have no one but our neighbors to blame. I do distinguish this from people using bots to place personal orders - that's just playing the game against the scalpers, rather than feeding the trolls. The need for a script or bot to place an order is another symptom of the problem, not the root cause.

I wasn't in dire straits for a card this go around, fortunately, so I'll continue to wait. But god help you if you had a machine down or something and needed a replacement. And thank god this isn't for something that's really needed, like food.
NVIDIA stopped producing Turing cards. Combined with the difficulty in acquiring an Ampere card, the new and used market for Turing cards exploded. I've read many people who sold their Turing cards in anticipation of getting an Ampere card at launch only to be left hanging without another good card to use in it its place. So the demand for Turing cards is up and the ones who were left holding them are now laughing all the way to the bank.

$899.

My favorite:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L35YR6X/?tag=thefpsreview-20

Government regulation is really your solution here - NVidia would rather sell every GPU the second it’s made over having to move surplus inventory. The market isn’t big enough and the barrier to entry is too high to have several more companies step in and put enough product into the channel to prevent market manipulation by scalpers.

the new world may very well be that bots scoop up all the available inventory until the next generation drops and the scalpers move on to buying and selling those.

You have to ride the razor to score a card. I was watching and managed to get a 6800xt because Newegg had a big drop today of several models. Good luck everyone!!

I never got on the F5 crazy train, monitoring Youtube feeds and Discord channels etc.

It's cool that some manage to score when possible, but for me it just takes up too much of my time to be worth it.

Newegg is getting greedy... That's what I'm seeing..

EDIT: I stand corrected... Thanks Armenius for pointing out the reasons for the increase :(

Last edited:
And that's how the myth that was the $700 hiend graphics card died.

I managed to grab a 3080 from BestBuy the other day, seemed it was a pretty big drop. I ended up canceling as I don't think it's worth it for my usage right now and I want to see what the Super/Ti models bring to the table. Hopefully stock gets better in the second half of this year.

I managed to grab a 3080 from BestBuy the other day, seemed it was a pretty big drop. I ended up canceling as I don't think it's worth it for my usage right now and I want to see what the Super/Ti models bring to the table. Hopefully stock gets better in the second half of this year.

Man if you scored one you coulda been a gentleman and flipped it to a community member for MSRP+TAX+SHipping + 50-100 bucks and been thanked for it.

Man if you scored one you coulda been a gentleman and flipped it to a community member for MSRP+TAX+SHipping + 50-100 bucks and been thanked for it.
The only thing I can recommend is to try out Hotstockapp. But you are right, maybe next time I’ll consider that instead. I probably wouldn’t even take anymore than $10-20 because I personally don’t believe in scalping at all. I really do hope it normalizes a bit towards the second half of this year.

I tried BB a few times in the past as I wanted/want a 3080 FE for my smallish case, but even tho I got to the actual order page I always get told none are available within 250 miles from my location haha.

So I gave up on ever having one and chill out in the EVGA que.....and play games with the 2070...yeah..

NVIDIA stopped producing Turing cards. Combined with the difficulty in acquiring an Ampere card, the new and used market for Turing cards exploded. I've read many people who sold their Turing cards in anticipation of getting an Ampere card at launch only to be left hanging without another good card to use in it its place. So the demand for Turing cards is up and the ones who were left holding them are now laughing all the way to the bank.
One of the smartest things I did was pick up a used 2080TI before the Ampere launch. I had a weird feeling about it, and I knew that it would be moving to a bloody HTPC eventually, but... I did it anyway. probably overpaid from what I could have paid too, at $800+, but... I regret nothing. That freed up other cards so all my friends and wife have cards now, which wouldn't have happened otherwise.

One of the smartest things I did was pick up a used 2080TI before the Ampere launch. I had a weird feeling about it, and I knew that it would be moving to a bloody HTPC eventually, but... I did it anyway. probably overpaid from what I could have paid too, at $800+, but... I regret nothing. That freed up other cards so all my friends and wife have cards now, which wouldn't have happened otherwise.
Makes me feel good at the 2080 Super I was able to score for $575...

Become a Patron!
Back