TSMC and Other Manufacturers Announce Delayed Orders and Revenue Losses amid Supply Shortages

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
tsmc-wafers-bluish-1024x576.jpg
Image: TSMC

The world of semiconductor manufacturing has seen upheavals both before and during the pandemic. Whether it be weather related, a random power outage, or global supply shortages, there’s no end to factors affecting the industry. Due to all of these factors, TSMC and other manufacturers have announced there will be price hikes, along with delayed orders, in 2022.

TSMC previously announced it would be raising prices by roughly 10 percent for its 7 nm or thinner nodes, but some increases could be as high as 20 percent for its larger 16 nm processes. Lead times will grow to 4 to 5 months due to shortages. As a lead supplier for Apple and Intel, the long-term effects of these changes remains to be seen for others seeking products from...

Continue reading...

This announcement = parts scarcity = less parts available = scalpers = insane prices STILL going forward...

EFF YOU!!

Sorry that's just in general to the world not to anyone in particular. ;)

No offense taken. I can't think of anyone here who doesn't at least on some level, share the sentiment.

Think GPU's give sticker shock? You should see new AND used car prices as well as availability. I saw used cars going for a lot more than MSRP of brand new ($37K for a used 2020 Ford Mustang, basic ecoboost). This shortage stuff will continue on until at least 2023. This is why I went ahead and bought an RTX3060 I won a chance at on the NewEgg shuffle. It was not the card I wanted. It was the only card I could get that was not too outrageously priced. I still feel kind of dirty downgrading from upper tier (GTX1080) to a 1080p card.

hink GPU's give sticker shock? You should see new AND used car prices as well as availability. I saw used cars going for a lot more than MSRP of brand new ($37K for a used 2020 Ford Mustang, basic ecoboost).

We had an engine go on our '09 Forester over the summer. For a moment I contemplated getting another car and after a few days of looking I figured screw it. Paid $2700 for a used(55K) engine and then another $1400 to our mechanic for the install. Much happier than going in debt for $10K-$30K for something used with nearly as many miles(135K) as the one we have now.

I made a similar decision for my latest laptop. Now granted, I did get lucky last November and found a Strix 3090 on Amazon. It was a scalper but the price(then) was on par if I'd paid VAT and ordered from overseas so I didn't feel too bad. In the end it's still only $150 more than current MSRP. Ironically when it arrived it was in a NewEgg Europe box.

However, early on in 2021 I wanted to get something else for another rig and by then prices were through the roof. I saw a decent laptop with the 130W 3070 variant and pre-ordered it. Six months later when it was suppose to be released it ended up not panning out but got a substitution with the same GPU and I'm extremely happy with it for 1080p gaming so I know where you're coming from there. I mostly stopped 1080p gaming years ago but in these times compromises are going to happen, or nothing at all. BTW the laptop I ended up getting was a MSI GP66 Leopard 11UG-050 and even with some upgrades it came out to around $2100. I spent another $300 on this and it was a perfect pairing. It rocks on it's own when I want to be outside but come inside and plug it in to that display and it goes up another notch.

Think GPU's give sticker shock? You should see new AND used car prices as well as availability. I saw used cars going for a lot more than MSRP of brand new ($37K for a used 2020 Ford Mustang, basic ecoboost). This shortage stuff will continue on until at least 2023. This is why I went ahead and bought an RTX3060 I won a chance at on the NewEgg shuffle. It was not the card I wanted. It was the only card I could get that was not too outrageously priced. I still feel kind of dirty downgrading from upper tier (GTX1080) to a 1080p card.

You aren't kidding. I got $45,000 for a 2016 F-250 4x4 Lariat Ultimate with the FX4 package and only 38,000 miles on it. I bought it new and had it for just over four years. Fast forward to a few weeks back and I saw a 2015 F-250 in almost the same configuration with 90,000 miles on it going for $62,000. That's almost the sticker price of my 2016 when I bought it new.

For work, we get Fleet set pricing at Ford. It's not the greatest deal, but no haggle, usually end up OTD just a hair less than whatever the sticker is.

We usually do F150 XLT 5.0 2wd models - nothing too fancy, but power locks/windows, basic silver color so our trucks match, a good radio and rear cam. Those usually are 40-42k depending on year and actual options on the ground.

This year... I had to wait 9 weeks to get anything in inventory, I couldn't get the color or the 5.0, and it was $52k.

Become a Patron!
Back