TSMC Reportedly Planning to Build Five More Fabs in Arizona

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
tsmc-logo-black-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: TSMC

The world’s leading semiconductor contract manufacturing and design company, TSMC, is reportedly planning to set up a handful of additional chipmaking factories in Arizona. This is according to sources with Reuters, who told the publication that up to five new fabs are in development for the Grand Canyon State. TSMC’s first Arizona factory, which was announced in May 2020 and currently in progress, is expected to offer a monthly output of 20,000 wafers using its 5-nanometer semiconductor manufacturing technology.

Chipmaker TSMC eyeing expansion of planned Arizona plant -sources https://t.co/WRWg5UL3jn pic.twitter.com/eMNxbNUVlr— Reuters (@Reuters) May 4, 2021

One person with direct knowledge of...

Continue reading...

Given the amount of water used in wafer manufacturing, Arizona always strikes me as a weird place to congregate a bunch of Fabs.
I was going to say the same thing. I can’t wait to leave this backasswards state.

Ground water is a bad idea. The Ogalla Aquifer collapse should teach us all that. Taiwan, weirdly enough, is better positioned because desalination really has no limits. Sure, it is energy expensive but the supply is "limitless' in a way inland water sources are not.
Of course it's bad, Arizona however has very lax laws about ground water use. So there they go. Drill baby drill!

Step one, connect pacific ocean to salton sea.
Step two pipe slaton sea to desalination plant.
Step three, nothing to do with Arizona, but water and profit in like 50 different ways.

Step one, connect pacific ocean to salton sea.
Step two pipe slaton sea to desalination plant.
Step three, nothing to do with Arizona, but water and profit in like 50 different ways.
It's my understanding that TSMC already does desalination in Taiwan for their plants there.

And terrible the rest, plus cost of living.
What's wrong with four seasons? Unless youre a Florida retiree bitching about taxes, The North East is just fine :)
I wouldn't live anywhere south of Philadelphia hahahaha.

As a person living in North East Texas, that lived in Ohio and Idaho for a few years... I really miss seasons... oh and horizons... I miss horizons too!

I guess TSMC has figured out how to turn sand into water?

As a person living in North East Texas, that lived in Ohio and Idaho for a few years... I really miss seasons... oh and horizons... I miss horizons too!

Hey not fair. Here in TX we get all 3 seasons.... scorched apocalyptic earth, torrential rains & floods, and frozen icy tundra! Sometimes all in the same month!

My grandfather used to say the 4 seasons of TX were Summer, Summer, Summer, and Christmas.

What's wrong with four seasons? Unless youre a Florida retiree bitching about taxes, The North East is just fine :)
I wouldn't live anywhere south of Philadelphia hahahaha.
Which 4? Frozen hell, rainy hell, oh look the sun, and miserable people outside?

Yeah, no.......cost of living and taxes are terrible in the Northeast. I'll take good seasons and lower cost of living. I can run my boat 9 months out of the year here. No way in the Northeast.

Hey not fair. Here in TX we get all 3 seasons.... scorched apocalyptic earth, torrential rains & floods, and frozen icy tundra! Sometimes all in the same month!

My grandfather used to say the 4 seasons of TX were Summer, Summer, Summer, and Christmas.
I'm in NM and I've been telling people for a while(been here 30 years now) all we have is summer and wind. On some days/hours we get a glimpse of things that resemble those other seasons I used to know as a kid when I lived in other places. It wasn't always like that but has been for the majority of the last 10+ years now.

I'm in NM and I've been telling people for a while(been here 30 years now) all we have is summer and wind. On some days/hours we get a glimpse of things that resemble those other seasons I used to know as a kid when I lived in other places. It wasn't always like that but has been for the majority of the last 10+ years now.
You get the best thunder/lightning storms imo. Arizona has two seasons: a very hot, extended summer and a short, milder summer.

Which 4? Frozen hell, rainy hell, oh look the sun, and miserable people outside?

Yeah, no.......cost of living and taxes are terrible in the Northeast. I'll take good seasons and lower cost of living. I can run my boat 9 months out of the year here. No way in the Northeast.
I wouldn't trade one drive thru the Catskills in the fall for 9 months of boating.

Become a Patron!
Back