Turbo Overkill Is a Cyberpunk FPS Inspired by Doom, Duke Nukem, and Quake

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
turbo-overkill-title-card-1024x576.jpg
Image: Trigger Happy Interactive

Apogee Entertainment and Happy Trigger Interactive have announced Turbo Overkill, a cyberpunk-themed FPS inspired by Duke Nukem, Doom, and Quake. Similar to those games, players can expect extreme, ultra-violent battles. Featuring visuals that combine elements of Blade Runner and other cyberpunk media, players will embark to clean up a city overrun in AI-controlled gang warfare.

Protagonist Johnny Turbo returns to the city of Paradise to take down Syn, an AI bent on world domination. Players will use various body enhancements such as guns, grenade launchers, and saws to battle opponents. They will also be able to wall run, car surf, and teleport into the minds of enemies. Turbo Overkill is slated for release on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC. No official release date has been set, but Steam...

Continue reading...

Yea let's see some game play. And it needs a world to interact with not just the farts of a setting.

I'm sure there is a market for these retro shooters, it's not me though.

Gimme a modern Duke nukem game iso all these antiquated clones.

Graphics aren't everything, but ****. This looks like it's 20 years old.

Graphics aren't everything, but ****. This looks like it's 20 years old.

I agree. I don't mind old school shooters from time to time, but this just looks like it was an after thought.

Color me interested, especially after that second video. Not a fan of the graphics and art-style, kinda hard on my tired old eyes. I mean I'm sure it looks a lot clearer being rendered in a real-time vs a YouTube video, but overall not feelin' the look of the game. Gunplay, player movement, and combat seem on point though. As always, I'll reserve judgement until I get hands-on, and see what it actually plays like. I definitely wanna see how the controls feel.

I recently played this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/753590/Hellbound/
I saw it on sale for 5 bucks, and there was a demo, so I tried the demo out. Decided it might be worth the risk of 5 bucks, so I bought it. You know what? Sh1t was pretty fun. The game only took me 3 and a half hours to get through, but I had a blast. So I'm not one to automatically look over these kinds of small simple indie retro-inspired shooters. If the price is right and the gameplay is fun, then I'm down. So I won't knock Turbo Overkill until I try it. Might be a fun game to get on sale at least.

Apogee and this new dev making a game like this reminds me of the recent game 3DRealms and Voidpoint put out, Ion Fury, which is a f*cking awesome game (I played through it earlier this year, waiting on the DLC now).

Unrelated, I've been playing through Unreal Gold and I've been having a great time. I've messed with the game a few times in the past, but never actually gave a serious effort to play all the way through and beat it, so I'm finally doing that. I've also been completely absorbed in Black Mesa.

Gimme a modern Duke nukem
I mean it's not exactly the same, and definitely not on the same level, but Ion Fury might scratch that itch for yah. Did for me at least.

Yea let's see some game play.
I thought the second video showed a pretty good example of that. Would be even better if we could get a demo.

So it's essentially Hard Reset?

Do people actually like these old school fast paced light story FPS:es? I find that while they were really cool back in the 90's when they were new, games have kind of come a long way, and by comparison anything inspired by the likes of Doom, Quake or Unreal are really just dull.

Do people actually like these old school fast paced light story FPS:es? I find that while they were really cool back in the 90's when they were new, games have kind of come a long way, and by comparison anything inspired by the likes of Doom, Quake or Unreal are really just dull.

I don't. Back in the day, we didn't have much in the way of choice. Writing wasn't something that was done well in games. Over the years that changed and games with bad or no real story just feel like antiquated B grade trash. Same as games that can't bother to even give you decent graphics. It's like watching modern science fiction with a 1960's Star Trek budget. There is no excuse for it.

Hard Reset was another game I thought was decent. I enjoyed it well enough. Completely forgot about that one.

...games with bad or no real story just feel like antiquated B grade trash.
Gameplay is always king for me. Graphics and music are important to me, but nothing is more important than the gameplay. If a game has no real story or even if it has a sh1tty story, I don't really give a sh1t as long as the gameplay is good. If a game has an awesome story but the gameplay is trash, then the whole game is trash to me.

Hard Reset was another game I thought was decent. I enjoyed it well enough. Completely forgot about that one.

Gameplay is always king for me. Graphics and music are important to me, but nothing is more important than the gameplay. If a game has no real story or even if it has a sh1tty story, I don't really give a sh1t as long as the gameplay is good. If a game has an awesome story but the gameplay is trash, then the whole game is trash to me.

I just find the old school Doom/Quake high paced running and gunning the same 12 monsters over and over again in different maps without much of an in depth story just gets old really quickly. I only got through the first level of Hard Reset before I got bored and quit. (Luckily it only cost me $2.99 on sale. I didn't even bother to request a refund)

Gameplay is absolutely the most important aspect of a game's design and presentation. However, I don't think its unreasonable to expect a certain minimum quality of graphics. When a game looks like its a couple decades out of date, I'm going to pass on it each and every time. It just smacks of the game being super low budget and rushed to market when I see that. When they can't bother with decent graphics, the developers rarely bothered with other aspects of the game's development. I've played several low budget titles and I don't feel like there are too many that would have graphics this awful (relative to when it was made) and still nail everything else.

I just find the old school Doom/Quake high paced running and gunning the same 12 monsters over and over again in different maps without much of an in depth story just gets old really quickly. I only got through the first level of Hard Reset before I got bored and quit. (Luckily it only cost me $2.99 on sale. I didn't even bother to request a refund)

Well said. I couldn't agree more. I had about the same opinion on Hard Reset. I think i made it a little further than you, but the game had a low rent feel to it without some sort of story and such a repetitive design.

However, I don't think its unreasonable to expect a certain minimum quality of graphics. When a game looks like its a couple decades out of date, I'm going to pass on it each and every time. It just smacks of the game being super low budget and rushed to market when I see that.
How do you feel about Ion Fury, and how it uses the original Build Engine even though it's a game that came out in 2019?

I just find the old school Doom/Quake high paced running and gunning the same 12 monsters over and over again in different maps without much of an in depth story just gets old really quickly.
For me at least, things like the player movement, combat, good controls, weapon feedback, enemy groups with different type mixups (orthogonol unit differentiation), environments, level design and flow, etc are enough to keep me interested - usually. Like if the simple base gameplay feels good, and the controls are good, that's usually enough to grab me and keep me around. Now the maps can get boring if you've played them a bajlillion times, but well-designed levels continue to be fun after years and years, and fights don't always play out the same. I can feel where you're coming from though. You need something to keep the game moving forward, and you need more variation, otherwise you get bored. Honestly I'm surprised that a lot of the simple games I play don't end up boring me. Back when my crew had LANParties, we got guys who didn't wanna play stuff like UT and Quake 3 or whatever cuz after a match or two they became incredibly bored with the games.

I only got through the first level of Hard Reset before I got bored and quit. (Luckily it only cost me $2.99 on sale. I didn't even bother to request a refund)
Okay I'm gonna kinda have to agree with you and Dan on Hard Reset a little bit. It did have a budget, low-rent feel to it, and I recall wondering if I was actually gonna bother to finish it. Somehow I did, and the expansion too. But I can understand why you guys dropped it. It didn't have enough depth or variation. All the environments looked the same. Music was forgettable. Weapon selection was limited. Nothing about the game really stood out. That's why I forgot the game even existed. No one else I know was able to get into the game either. Again, I can't say why I was able to finish it. What I mostly remember the game for was the [H] article on it, where I learned about stuff like FXAA for the first time.

I recently played Hellbound, another small indie game with graphics that are nothing to write home about, but it was so short it didn't outstay its welcome. I played it, I had fun, then it was done. Not many weapons there, not a wide variety of enemies, the levels were aiight (and there weren't that many), but I enjoyed how the game felt in terms of control, movement, combat, and weapon feedback. Good enough at least for 3 and a half hours. Music wasn't bad either.

Now on the other hand, I spent from 2016 to 2020 going through most of the Doom saga again. Doom 1 a couple times (both with and without Brutal Doom, by myself and in co-op), Doom 2 (including stuff I've never played before like No Rest For The Living), SIGIL, Doom 64, and in the middle of all that Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal came out. Only game I didn't touch was Doom 3. Doom 1, 2, and Doom 64 (my first experience with that one) were all an absolute f*cking blast. I had so much fun going through those games. So they definitely still hold up very much for me (and I got to see how great Doom 64 is, now that it can be played on PC with mouse and keyboard - although you can also play it on XB1 with mouse and keyboard). Romero's SIGIL is also awesome, and I am very much looking forward to Romero's new Doom 2 campaign.

It still play UT99, UT2K4, UT3, and Quake 3. I always install those games on every new PC I make for myself, and keep them installed throughout the life of that PC. Then again I still play a lot of classic console sh1t too. I went through Super Mario World twice this year already, and I can never seem to ever leave SMB3 alone. How many times have I been through Zelda: Link to the Past? I go through Mega Man X 1 and 2 multiple times a year. I still play my NES, Super NES, and Genesis, among other old consoles (and I also use emulators a decent amount). A lot of the games I loved back then I still love now, and still find them just as fun. I never got tired of Doom 1 and 2. In fact I probably grew to love them more in the last 5 years than I ever have in my life before.

I also find that my love for original hardware and what it was originally capable of doesn't really die out over time. Graphics cards from the 2000s and 90s still put me in awe, as well as classic consoles. For example, the Super NES game Axelay, I first discovered that in 2007, and when I did, the graphics blew me away. I'm still in awe by a lot of the graphics I see in old 16-bit console games or 90s PC games. I got a Neo-Geo MVS arcade board around 2014 or so (and my brother got an AES), and just like back in the day, I still can't get over the raw graphical 2D might of the Neo-Geo. The first Unreal still looks really dang impressive to me. Ion Fury is a 2019 game using the Build Engine and it made dang good use of that engine. Playing through Black Mesa now, and it's a good reminder of how awesome Source Engine used to be.

I can understand how the graphics and art-style of some games put people off on them. I have a friend who refuses to play the Metroidvania series Guacamelee because he hates the art-style. He also won't watch Spartacus cuz he says the visuals make it look like a poor man's 300. I just won't automatically dismiss a game because of how it looks. Now if the graphics interfere with the gameplay, that's a different story. The game Mad World on Nintendo Wii gave me a f*cking migraine, made my eyes hurt, and I couldn't make out sh1t in that game. The game had other problems besides how it looked, but the graphics were the main killer.

Dan is right though. When you make a game in this day and age, it shouldn't be too much for us to expect a certain minimum level of graphics.

When they can't bother with decent graphics, the developers rarely bothered with other aspects of the game's development.
Yeah that's kinda true.

Last edited:
How do you feel about Ion Fury, and how it uses the original Build Engine even though it's a game that came out in 2019?

I had no feelings about it at all. I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it. That being said, I looked it up and watched the launch trailer. Again, when I see graphics like that I generally assume its a low budget title. There is nothing wrong with that necessarily, but that kind of thing isn't for me.

For me at least, things like the player movement, combat, good controls, weapon feedback, enemy groups with different type mixups (orthogonol unit differentiation), environments, level design and flow, etc are enough to keep me interested - usually. Like if the simple base gameplay feels good, and the controls are good, that's usually enough to grab me and keep me around. Now the maps can get boring if you've played them a bajlillion times, but well-designed levels continue to be fun after years and years, and fights don't always play out the same. I can feel where you're coming from though. You need something to keep the game moving forward, and you need more variation, otherwise you get bored. Honestly I'm surprised that a lot of the simple games I play don't end up boring me. Back when my crew had LANParties, we got guys who didn't wanna play stuff like UT and Quake 3 or whatever cuz after a match or two they became incredibly bored with the games.

Okay I'm gonna kinda have to agree with you and Dan on Hard Reset a little bit. It did have a budget, low-rent feel to it, and I recall wondering if I was actually gonna bother to finish it. Somehow I did, and the expansion too. But I can understand why you guys dropped it. It didn't have enough depth or variation. All the environments looked the same. Music was forgettable. Weapon selection was limited. Nothing about the game really stood out. That's why I forgot the game even existed. No one else I know was able to get into the game either. Again, I can't say why I was able to finish it. What I mostly remember the game for was the [H] article on it, where I learned about stuff like FXAA for the first time.

I recently played Hellbound, another small indie game with graphics that are nothing to write home about, but it was so short it didn't outstay its welcome. I played it, I had fun, then it was done. Not many weapons there, not a wide variety of enemies, the levels were aiight (and there weren't that many), but I enjoyed how the game felt in terms of control, movement, combat, and weapon feedback. Good enough at least for 3 and a half hours. Music wasn't bad either.

Now on the other hand, I spent from 2016 to 2020 going through most of the Doom saga again. Doom 1 a couple times (both with and without Brutal Doom, by myself and in co-op), Doom 2 (including stuff I've never played before like No Rest For The Living), SIGIL, Doom 64, and in the middle of all that Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal came out. Only game I didn't touch was Doom 3. Doom 1, 2, and Doom 64 (my first experience with that one) were all an absolute f*cking blast. I had so much fun going through those games. So they definitely still hold up very much for me (and I got to see how great Doom 64 is, now that it can be played on PC with mouse and keyboard - although you can also play it on XB1 with mouse and keyboard). Romero's SIGIL is also awesome, and I am very much looking forward to Romero's new Doom 2 campaign.

It still play UT99, UT2K4, UT3, and Quake 3. I always install those games on every new PC I make for myself, and keep them installed throughout the life of that PC. Then again I still play a lot of classic console sh1t too. I went through Super Mario World twice this year already, and I can never seem to ever leave SMB3 alone. How many times have I been through Zelda: Link to the Past? I go through Mega Man X 1 and 2 multiple times a year. I still play my NES, Super NES, and Genesis, among other old consoles (and I also use emulators a decent amount). A lot of the games I loved back then I still love now, and still find them just as fun. I never got tired of Doom 1 and 2. In fact I probably grew to love them more in the last 5 years than I ever have in my life before.

I also find that my love for original hardware and what it was originally capable of doesn't really die out over time. Graphics cards from the 2000s and 90s still put me in awe, as well as classic consoles. For example, the Super NES game Axelay, I first discovered that in 2007, and when I did, the graphics blew me away. I'm still in awe by a lot of the graphics I see in old 16-bit console games or 90s PC games. I got a Neo-Geo MVS arcade board around 2014 or so (and my brother got an AES), and just like back in the day, I still can't get over the raw graphical 2D might of the Neo-Geo. The first Unreal still looks really dang impressive to me. Ion Fury is a 2019 game using the Build Engine and it made dang good use of that engine. Playing through Black Mesa now, and it's a good reminder of how awesome Source Engine used to be.

I can understand how the graphics and art-style of some games put people off on them. I have a friend who refuses to play the Metroidvania series Guacamelee because he hates the art-style. He also won't watch Spartacus cuz he says the visuals make it look like a poor man's 300. I just won't automatically dismiss a game because of how it looks. Now if the graphics interfere with the gameplay, that's a different story. The game Mad World on Nintendo Wii gave me a f*cking migraine, made my eyes hurt, and I couldn't make out sh1t in that game. The game had other problems besides how it looked, but the graphics were the main killer.

As my mother said, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

I played the 2016 Doom, but I only did so because I didn't have anything else to play at the time, and I got it cheap in a bundle with one of the Wolfenstein games. It passed the time, but I found it mostly forgettable.

I played the original Dooms (at least 1 and 2, those are the ones I am familiar with) as well as Quake and Quake 2, and I enjoyed them, but I felt like by the time Q3A came around that the whole formula was boring. I tested it out, but proceeded to never really play it. I didn't realize they had released any Quakes after Quake 3, and I didn't realize they had released any Doom's after Doom 2, at least until 2016.

I remember briefly trying Unreal Tournament at that time and just kind of sighing and quitting, not being able to take any more of the **** Deathmatch Arena / gibfest games.

Doom and Quake were hugely significant in how they popularized first person shooters, but I find them absolutely unplayable by modern standards.

Games that really stand out to me in how they completely changed what it means to be a first person title in the 90's and early 2000's were Half-Life and Deus Ex, which were both infinitely more interesting to me than yet another high speed run around blasting monsters or other players in a deathmatch type of game. At the time while playing Half Life I felt that it had instantly made every FPS title that came before it obsolete and uninteresting. I felt similarly about Deus Ex in 2000.

For me there was no going back from that. But I am not everyone.

I don't understand these games that are made to look like they came out 25 years ago. Who wants these? Sure there is the nostalgia factor, but if I'm ever feeling nostalgic I'll play actual old games, not modern pretend retro games.

I don't understand these games that are made to look like they came out 25 years ago. Who wants these? Sure there is the nostalgia factor, but if I'm ever feeling nostalgic I'll play actual old games, not modern pretend retro games.

These are low budget titles produced by much smaller development teams. Apogee isn't a heavy hitter in the market and hasn't been for decades. The company doesn't have the budget to do AAA releases. These types of games don't require the most modern engines, an army of 3D modelers, animators and graphic artists. They also don't require professional writers, music composers and all the rest of the staff required to create a AAA title. These types of games can also be produced in far less time even with a fraction of the personnel a big game requires.

I don't normally bother with this kind of crap for several reasons. 1.) I played this stuff when it was cutting edge. 2.) I played the best of these games back when they were actually innovative and new. Titles like Quake, Descent, and Unreal aren't matched by these modern copies. 3.) These low budget games don't usually deliver a very good experience. These aren't games that would be as good as they are today, just with ****ty graphics. They fail on their writing, sound, and generally, on the gameplay.

These games not only look like they are 25 years old, they are built like they are 25 years old. They play like a 25 year old game made by a lesser studio at that. That's because they are.

In my opinion, this game exists to cash in on the recent cyberpunk game trend started by Cyberpunk 2077's monstrous hype train. Everyone wants to get onboard. For every good one like "The Ascent", we'll see dozens of ones like this that are quickly made cash grabs with a cyberpunk theme.

I can do without a great story, if they made Ion fury in a modern engine with decent graphics I would probably play it.

I don't mind games like Duke nukem3D where at least you can jump in and play a bit and don't need to wonder about what you were supposed to do or where to go, just shoot stuff.

That's also why I like DOOM 2016, I played some Q2 RTX a while ago but I played it so much back then I lost interest partway trough, and while the ray tracing stuff is cool and all it's still the same game with the same old graphics.

Become a Patron!
Back