Turbo Overkill Is a Cyberpunk FPS Inspired by Doom, Duke Nukem, and Quake

In my opinion, this game exists to cash in on the recent cyberpunk game trend started by Cyberpunk 2077's monstrous hype train. Everyone wants to get onboard. For every good one like "The Ascent", we'll see dozens of ones like this that are quickly made cash grabs with a cyberpunk theme.
Unpopular opinion: The Ascent is not good, just bad in a different way.

Unpopular opinion: The Ascent is not good, just bad in a different way.

I have never played it. I was basing the comment on how the game has generally been received. It's gameplay isn't my cup of tea.

I can do without a great story, if they made Ion fury in a modern engine with decent graphics I would probably play it.

I don't mind games like Duke nukem3D where at least you can jump in and play a bit and don't need to wonder about what you were supposed to do or where to go, just shoot stuff.

That's also why I like DOOM 2016, I played some Q2 RTX a while ago but I played it so much back then I lost interest partway trough, and while the ray tracing stuff is cool and all it's still the same game with the same old graphics.

A game can have no real story or a ****ty story and I can deal with that, but game play has to be top notch. However, a good story can keep my interest through some less than stellar gameplay design decisions. Ideally, I'd have a good game with a good story, but that's rarely the case.

Games that really stand out to me in how they completely changed what it means to be a first person title in the 90's and early 2000's were Half-Life and Deus Ex, which were both infinitely more interesting to me than yet another high speed run around blasting monsters or other players in a deathmatch type of game. At the time while playing Half Life I felt that it had instantly made every FPS title that came before it obsolete and uninteresting. I felt similarly about Deus Ex in 2000.
Agree with you on Deus Ex and Half-Life. I didn't care for Invisible War, but I found every other Deus Ex game to be really enjoyable. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided didn't have the same impact on me as the first game, but I still enjoyed them a good deal.

If you still really like HL, I heartily recommend this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/Black_Mesa/

As my mother said, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
I definitely lean towards chocolate myself in most scenarios.

Titles like Quake, Descent, and Unreal aren't matched by these modern copies.
That is very true. Speaking of, we never got an Unreal 3, and modern-day Epic would never give one to us (and I don't think I'd want them to). Unreal II was kinda trash.

...if I'm ever feeling nostalgic I'll play actual old games, not modern pretend retro games.
Definitely the smarter plan.

That is very true. Speaking of, we never got an Unreal 3, and modern-day Epic would never give one to us (and I don't think I'd want them to). Unreal II was kinda trash.
I think it became Gears of War, which wasn't nearly as good as Unreal was. Gears had always felt big and clunky to me when playing.

Agree with you on Deus Ex and Half-Life. I didn't care for Invisible War, but I found every other Deus Ex game to be really enjoyable. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided didn't have the same impact on me as the first game, but I still enjoyed them a good deal.

If you still really like HL, I heartily recommend this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/Black_Mesa/

Funny you should mention that. I'm actually playing through it right now.

I've had it in my library since it was in Greenlight, but never got around to actually playing it.

It's been so long since I played through vanilla Half-Life that I can't remember how closely it follows the original, or if they took some liberties to improve it, but thus far I have been impressed just how well the game holds up. I mean, you can tell it is older. The story lacks as much context and development as you would get with a good modern story based FPS title, but it is definitely still a very enjoyable game.

They just put out a demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328350/Turbo_Overkill/
Took me about an hour to run through. They have you play a few levels. Pretty fun, good controls, nice player movement, just feels really good to play so far. The music was pretty good too. They did some neat stuff with the art and graphics. I'm definitely interested in checking out the final game.

They just put out a demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328350/Turbo_Overkill/
Took me about an hour to run through. They have you play a few levels. Pretty fun, good controls, nice player movement, just feels really good to play so far. The music was pretty good too. They did some neat stuff with the art and graphics. I'm definitely interested in checking out the final game.
Thanks. Downloaded the demo so I'll give it a whirl.

Become a Patron!
Back