Turtle Beach’s Atlas Air Is the First Wireless Open-Back PC Gaming Headset with 24-Bit Audio Support and Floating Earcups

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Turtle Beach has unveiled a new lineup of gaming headsets, keyboards, and mice that it plans to launch next month, and it includes the Atlas Air, a new wireless open-back PC gaming headset that is said to be the first to not only support high-fidelity 24-bit audio, but also floating earcups, complemented by an adjustable float headband, for improved fit.

See full article...

Looking at the image... that's a lot of plastic.. nope. Snappy mc snaperson.
Consumer grade, probably. Plenty of plastic headphones that can handle years (decades) of abuse, but not produced by 'gaming' companies.

Especially not whatever company is turning Turtle Beach into a junk production facility.

Turtle Beach. Proud maker of e-waste.

Just wait for reviews.

It sucks you can't get excellent headphones without spending $300+
You can get decent for less.. but for something you will wear for hours at a time, cutting corners is not recommended.

Sad part is, the 'reigning king' of gaming headsets is the Audeze Maxwell, with Audeze just recently being bought by Sony.

Build quality isn't necessarily great with these either; probably have to go with something from Beyerdynamic for that. They make stuff that will survive the war after the next world war.

First, whats the different been open and closed back? They all look the same to me LOL

Secondly, I have the Astro A50 wireless headset and haven't had many complaints on them in the few years I've owned them. I normally wear them for hours a day while I'm at my computer gaming.

My only main complaint with them is the micro-USB port on the base station. It sometimes doesn't get a good connection and I have to wiggle the **** thing to get it to power up. It hasn't been much of an issue lately since I replaced the stock cable with a different one. So maybe it was a cable issue the whole time?

Either way, I really wanna know the difference between closed and open backs. lol

Either way, I really wanna know the difference between closed and open backs. lol
Literally as it sounds - open back headphones are 'open' as in you can hear through them, so someone next to you speaking will be audible so long as you don't have the headphones loud enough to drown them out (lol).

Closed back is more or less sealed (some have vents for acoustic tuning), and will naturally block out more of the sound around you. All of your noise-cancelling headphones are closed, which add cancelling waves to the audio stream to neutralize sound around you that would otherwise make it into the headphones.

You'll find among open-back headphones that there are designs that are 'more' open and that are 'less' open. The Sennheisers I mentioned above are very open, to the point that they barely attenuate sound. Typically you'd use those in quiet environments or when you actually want to hear what's going on around you for whatever reason. I use open cans in the office so I hear people around me for example.

Yeah, after I made the post I got impatient on waiting on a reply. The CUPS are open in the back. I was thinking it was something to do with the head strap or some crap. Yeah, I know. I'm an idiot. Once I realized it was the cups, I knew what it meant. lol

Spent about an hour or so researching headphones since I'm kind of looking for some to use when gaming on the patio and I don't want to blast out the neighbors.

Hence the crux of it though. I've used some nice closed backs over the years and my ears get way too hot, plus I don't like not being able to hear around me.

Never had open backs and honestly didn't even know they were a thing until this. However, after reading some reviews (thanks @LazyGamer and @Niner51 for your posts since they gave me some launching points), there are folks who state how obnoxious open-backs can be for those around you if the volume is loud. Now I'm not expecting to crank them but I don't want to blast the backyard with wearable speakers either.

The next detail is that I don't care about gaming headphones (ironic since I'm looking for headphones for gaming) since I'm not going to use the mic. Wireless 24-bit is also important but so is the freq. response and these are okay at 20-40K, would prefer 10-40 kHz like what the HD6xx offers. I actually just ordered these on Amazon since the price dropped today to more or less match the Drop version and there are so many 4 and 5 star reviews on multiple sites.

Yep, a lot of plastic on these Turtle Beach ones, been down that road before, and yep, just a matter of time until it gets trashed. I'm sure that's also a factor with the price being lower than most of the others in this tier and yeah, my research yesterday showed that you're pretty much looking at $250-$300 for quality.

I'll update how my experiences with the HD6xx go. They'll be my 1st headphones in around 20+ years

I have the corsair virtuoso SE's that I purchased refurbished in July of 2020 that have been rock solid. I'm one of those people with a big head and I needed something I wouldn't break and I wanted the full headset.

Personal remarks. The headset is solid but the earcups I replaced after 3 years, and I need a cover for the headband as the pleather is coming apart on it but it isn't easily replaceable. All of the hardware is still rock solid and not giving me issues. Wireless and wired options are great. The cable that comes with it isn't short so that is a big + if you need to use it wired. It will even work wired off of your phone if you want to but you'll need your own USB C to C cable.

the newer XT models support bluetooth if that's important to you. As far as durability I have had zero issues with mine and it's a refurb. BUT reviews say frequency response is a bit warm and rated 20hz to 40khz. 20 hz supposedly the bottom of human hearing but I've heard mixed review on that. A good sub response matters. But if you're wearing a headset you're not looking to 'FEEL' the rumble.

BUT reviews say frequency response is a bit warm and rated 20hz to 40khz. 20 hz supposedly the bottom of human hearing but I've heard mixed review on that.
I'd take these as... complete fabrications.

A good sub response matters. But if you're wearing a headset you're not looking to 'FEEL' the rumble.
Not on a gaming headset, or really most headphones for that matter - regardless of cost (like >US$50,000 even). There are certainly headphones that will bring out sub-bass, just understand that there's usually a tradeoff somewhere else, and at more accessible pricepoints, there are likely tradeoffs everywhere else.

Become a Patron!
Back