Unboxing the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX & 7900 XT

Thanks, AMD for the samples and thank you, Brent and David, for getting this out. I really like the look of these, and a number of the AIB versions as well. I was thinking about that yesterday when the Colorful 4070 Ti images surfaced and it just reinforced how nice these cards look. You really get the impression that AMD engineers put some serious thought into the design. I am a little concerned with the lack of venting on the back and display side of the card but perhaps it is designed so that it will not be an issue.

Thanks, AMD for the samples and thank you, Brent and David, for getting this out. I really like the look of these, and a number of the AIB versions as well. I was thinking about that yesterday when the Colorful 4070 Ti images surfaced and it just reinforced how nice these cards look. You really get the impression that AMD engineers put some serious thought into the design. I am a little concerned with the lack of venting on the back and display side of the card but perhaps it is designed so that it will not be an issue.
I would say with the chiplet design it just might not need that rear venting or with air flow under the shroud it might not even be possible based on heat sink fin layout.

They're sticking with 2x eight-pin PCIe connectors, meaning a maximum of 300W from the PSU (per spec), and quoting 350W, which means pulling an additional 50W through the PCIe slot.

This isn't really a lot of power draw for a larger card. They could probably have tweaked it to be 'more', but I'm betting tweaks were instead focused on keeping the BOM low since they're still going to be relying on Nvidia's high prices as a selling point - and Nvidia could lower them.

I heard there is an AIB who might push one much higher on TDP. In addition, I'm still betting on a "7950" in the future with higher TDP.

I heard there is an AIB who might push one much higher on TDP. In addition, I'm still betting on a "7950" in the future with higher TDP.
ASRock's 7900XTX OC cards all that 3x 8 pin power. Should provide a bit of power headroom for pushing those cards.

What is the maximum number of displays per card? My 6700XT was 3, which wasn’t enough - hoping these are 4

What is the maximum number of displays per card? My 6700XT was 3, which wasn’t enough - hoping these are 4
All of the examples I have seen have 2x DP 2.1, 1x HDMI 2.1a and 1x USB-C. So, technically, it could support 4 or more displays.

All of the examples I have seen have 2x DP 2.1, 1x HDMI 2.1a and 1x USB-C. So, technically, it could support 4 or more displays.
Number of ports does not equal number of supported monitors. My 6700xt had 2 display ports and 2 hdmi, but max displays of 3

This doesn't quite answer your question but it's something I noticed in the fine print when doing the ASRock post this morning.

"*DisplayPort (DP) 2.1 on any one or two ports. DisplayPort (DP) 1.4a on any and up to 4 ports simultaneously."

So those ASRock cards all have 3x DP 2.1 and 1x HDMI 2.1, which I've seen on multiple AIB cards now and this might be true for them as well. At least for these, the limit is all 4 but with reduced bandwidth.

Become a Patron!
Back