Unity Boss Calls Developers Who Don’t Put More Time into Monetization Early on “F’ing Idiots”

Not that long ago, a lot of movie actors could not be convinced to play in TV shows due to the poor quality of a lot of it. Soaps are hugely succesfull but is it art?
That was more about elitism than anything else, movie actors felt doing TV was beneath them. Also laziness, doing TV is much more demanding.
Making a great game is hard work and takes time and skill or else you end up with stuff like BF2042 or the umpteenth COD or FIFA, they are just by the numbers games.
That's exactly the point, if you view it as a product you end up with BF2042 or Madden, or the next MCU movie.

The only idiots here are the people actually paying real money for in game ****.

If I wanted a virtual barbie to buy clothes for, I'd just go and buy a ****ing barbie.

When someone buys clothes for their Fortnite character, or skins for their Counter-Strike weapons, they are really just doing the online version of playing with barbies.

The only idiots here are the people actually paying real money for in game ****.

If I wanted a virtual barbie to buy clothes for, I'd just go and buy a ****ing barbie.

When someone buys clothes for their Fortnite character, or skins for their Counter-Strike weapons, they are really just doing the online version of playing with barbies.
Whether you like it or not outfitting your character is a big part of gaming. I can waste an hour in a character creator easily. That's why it is egregious to lock away clothing customization options behind paywalls.

Cool armors and outfits used to be quest rewards for progressing through the game, now it's just pay or your character will look like noob #15677.

I'm ok with people who want to spend their money on whatever really. If you want to buy barbie clothes, and it isn't hurting anyone else - feel free if it makes you happy, and that's what games are supposed to do: make you happy.

Barbie clothes do not make me happy, and I would throttle my son if I caught him wasting money like that. But far be it for me to tell anyone (other than my son) how to spend their money.

I do take an issue with Pay 2 Win... where you can just buy better stuff outright versus needing to actually play the game to get it. But that's more to do with the game developer than the players taking advantage of a bad situation.

I raise my eyebrow at the whales - the people throwing thousands of dollars at some of these games. But hey, so long as you can still put food on the table, whatever floats your boat. Most of it are influencers and streamers, and they are just spending other people's money on this stuff for more clicks... which is unfortunate, but again, so long as it isn't hurting anyone...

I raise my eyebrow at the whales - the people throwing thousands of dollars at some of these games. But hey, so long as you can still put food on the table, whatever floats your boat. Most of it are influencers and streamers, and they are just spending other people's money on this stuff for more clicks... which is unfortunate, but again, so long as it isn't hurting anyone...
I have the personal suspicion that these whales are using stolen money to do this. That's the only way I see this making sense to anyone. Probably am coloring this with my own perceptions but there it is.

I'm ok with people who want to spend their money on whatever really. If you want to buy barbie clothes, and it isn't hurting anyone else - feel free if it makes you happy, and that's what games are supposed to do: make you happy.
That's just it, I never would purchase virtual items for real money, be they clothes, skins, weapons, or whatever. You can definitely play without them but the game is objectively worse without access to them. So it is basically the same as "time savers". I believe that all in game monetization is cancerous. When you pay for a virtual item in a game you are basically paying for a NFT that can't even be resold.
I do take an issue with Pay 2 Win... where you can just buy better stuff outright versus needing to actually play the game to get it. But that's more to do with the game developer than the players taking advantage of a bad situation.
In my opinion any advantage a player gets for paying is a form of pay to win, even if it's not directly buying victory. But faster progression is pay to win too, especially in MMOs, where who maxes out their level first is king.
I think whales are just wealthy individuals who don't have anything better to spend their money on. It is basically just chum change for them. It's not just gaming, but I see some regularly tipping thousands in a single stream. on youtube.

That's just it, I never would purchase virtual items for real money, be they clothes, skins, weapons, or whatever.
I guess I’m making a distinction between what I would do personally, and what I think should be imposed on everyone in general.

Become a Patron!
Back