Upgrade Deal Alert: AMD AM4 Processors at All Time Lows

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
With Amazon’s Deal Days getting kicked off, we’re starting to see some great deals rolling in and in this case, it represents the perfect send off to the AM4 platform by giving you the opportunity to upgrade to a Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000) chip at some of the lowest prices that we’ve seen. The great […]

See full article...

The 3D V-cache versions are completely off the market here in the EU. IDK if this is a temporary stock issue or they stopped supplying them in order to push enthusiasts to the newer AM5 platform ?!

I seemingly actually purchased my 5800X3D around the lowest price point in February, it was crawling up steadily ever since. According to the price aggregator site it was last available 9/26.

The 5900X3D is also MIA, but the regular versions are abundantly available and indeed show a downward trend in pricing. I still wouldn't buy one at this point though.

It's ridiculous that the 5700X3D is $190, but the 5800X3D is still $390-400 if you can find it. The 7800X3D is $400.

Some of this pricing makes no sense.

These are indeed good prices!

Right now is a great time to do an end of life AM4 platform upgrade. If I hadn't already moved both of the AM4 systems in the house to 5800X3D's I'd probably be thinking about it.

...but I am still not sure they are good enough to convince me to buy into a dead platform.

It seems silly to spend on a new AM4 system now when that leaves you no upgrade path without having to buy a new motherboard (AM4 -> AM5), RAM (DDR4->DDR5) and CPU (AM4->AM5) in one go, when if you spend a little bit more on an AM5 motherboard, you have a drop in upgrade path for the next few years.

I'd have to do detailed cost and performance comparisons between high end AM4 chips and lower end AM5 chips to determine if that is really worth it.

I guess if your budget is very tight now, but you imagine it won't be in 2 years time when you go to upgrade, maybe this is a good idea.

It's ridiculous that the 5700X3D is $190, but the 5800X3D is still $390-400 if you can find it. The 7800X3D is $400.

Some of this pricing makes no sense.
They are probably just discounting what isn't selling.

There is still demand for the 5800X3D because if you have an AM4 system, that is the - as far as gaming is concerned - peak of the AM4 platform you can upgrade to, so everyone who is looking to stretch their AM4 system a little bit longer for gaming purposes without looking to spend on RAM, a new motherboard, or the hassle of rebuilding everything is going to want that 5800X3D.

There are likely many shoppers looking to get as close as they can to latest gen systems for lass money than actually buying a latest gen system.

$350 may seem crazy for an older 5800X3D, but if you take the approach of, I have a budget of $XX today, how can I make the most of it.

Then it becomes $350 for just a 5800X3D vs $205 for a 7600X + $210 for a decent AM5 Motherboard + $100 for DDR5 RAM.

Now you are talking $350 to get you within 5% of what would cost you $515, and you can pout off that $515 investment another couple of years, and you'll have way more money in two years (Of course you will)

A version of this is why I upgraded the kid and my better halfs machines to 5800X3d's late last year. Minimal effort, relatively low cost, and they continue to have machines that perform very well.

So I think that explains why the 5800x3d remains a strong seller and pricing remains high. No one wants lower end AM4 parts. That's hwy they are cheaper.

I don't get how the 5700X3d is not as popular as the 5800X3d, IMO it should be the #1 gaming cpu. It's an amazing processor for the price. Far better deal than the 5800X3d.

That is a great price for the 5700X3D.
$182 Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQ4H4H7X/?tag=thefpsreview-20

Or $180 Micro Center: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-8-core-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

I don't get how the 5700X3d is not as popular as the 5800X3d, IMO it should be the #1 gaming cpu. It's an amazing processor for the price. Far better deal than the 5800X3d.
I seem to recall hearing that the 5700X3D comes within 5% of the 5800X3D's performance, so yeah, it really is an insane deal.

Attachments

• 5700X3D_Price_Amazon.png
    5700X3D_Price_Amazon.png
    585.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 5700X3D_Price_MicroCenter.png
    5700X3D_Price_MicroCenter.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 1
I seem to recall hearing that the 5700X3D comes within 5% of the 5800X3D's performance, so yeah, it really is an insane deal.

It is true, that is a lot of performance for the money, but lets not forget that it is two generations behind at this point.

It may only be 5% behind the 5800X3D, but when you start comparing it to the 7800X3D or 14900KS those numbers are much larger. And the 9800X3D and Intel Ultra9 285k (or whatever the hell it is called) are right around the corner.

Still, if you are like me, and like to play single player titles at high resolution with eye candy turned on, you'll never notice any negative impact from that. But if you are like a lot of younger kids who mainly play Fortnite and other twitchy multiplayer titles and turn down graphics settings to minimum to get as high framerate as possible on their 360+hz screens, its not going to compete anymore.

The kid plays a lot of Fortnite, and I forget the game mode (I've barely ever played the game), but one of them with many players causes minimum framerate to go below 60fps, even on his 5800X3D.

Lets just face it. AM4 is getting old.

Lets just face it. AM4 is getting old.
Maybe old but still solid.

I wouldn't go out and build a brand new rig around AM4... but I'm also not out there scrambling to ugprade all my AM4 rigs to AM5 either. This is a nice little boost to someone who maybe has a Zen 3 Ryzen 5 or something. Sure, it won't beat out a new AM5 rig, but at <$200, getting another couple of years out of it is a helluva deal.

Trying to talk my kid into jumping on this deal, but he has to earn his own money to do so. So he probably won't, as he doesn't care about potato settings... and I'm not going to purchase it for him - he has other things coming up for Christmas he needs Santa to bring, like Socks and Underware.

Become a Patron!
Back