Upgrading Radeon RX 580 to Radeon RX 5600 XT

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Upgrade Path!

Introduction

Is the new Radeon RX 5600 XT a good upgrade path from AMD’s three-year-old Radeon RX 580 Polaris video card? That is the question we are going to answer today.  The AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT has launched on January 21st just a couple of weeks ago. We reviewed the XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT THICC II Pro video card for $279.99.  Then, in a reaction to NVIDIA lowering pricing on GeForce RTX 2060 Founders Edition to $299 it was decided that the AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT could actually be pushed higher.  Add-in-board partners released new BIOS’s with faster clock speeds.  We tested the new BIOS that XFX has released for the XFX...

[url=https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/02/03/upgrading-radeon-rx-580-to-radeon-rx-5600-xt/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Brent! This was one of the analysis angles I was looking for when the 5600/5700 series of cards were released. I'm inclined to get 5600 XT's for the wife and kids at this point, as they really don't hammer the cards hard, and are all playing @ or below 1080p..

I would have liked to see a 8gb version of the 580 vice 4gb which for a few of those games may helped the 580. I too think the price is a little high for the 5600XT, game bundle helps if one likes and would want to play those games. Still the cards that are out there for the 5600XT are rather high quality which is very good.

As for the 5600XT, 6GB is a long term consideration and actually maybe short term. A good sell on a 5700 with 8gb of memory with a faster wider bus just makes the 5700 a better deal if one can swing $40-$50 more - which in the long run will be more viable for a longer period of time making the initial investment better in my estimation. Then again 5600XT will eventually see these types of sales as time goes on if one waits. I would say do what one can and get a 5700 or wait a little while and get a 5600XT when there is a good deal or combo package.

These are very important type of reviews which can help folks pick the right product for themselves. Making an inform decision is always valuable and hope to see more comparisons in the future. Thanks.

Thanks for the write up. I enjoy these types of reviews — particularly useful for real world situations... when upgrading most people are in fact upgrading from something a few years old and want to see what their options are relative to where they’re coming from.

Last edited:
I went the 5700xt route myself. I do have a box with an aging rx480 that still sits in the 1080 realm. This could be a decent upgrade for it

good review.
i tried and tried to find a 5600xt but ended up with a 5700 and it dances circles around my 580 8GB. for the price difference of only $40CAN it was worth it.

Really appreciate this article again now that I have a friend looking to upgrade from his RX480 Same card, No Regardless it still gives a good enough baseline to give him a recommendation based on where he wants his system to be.
Thanks Brent! (y)

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back