USB Type-C 2.1 Specifications Officially Published, Delivers 240 Watts over a Single Cable

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
usb-type-c-connector-red-cable-1024x576.jpg
Image: denvit (Pixabay)

Bulky power bricks could be a thing of the past for gaming laptops and other demanding portable devices. USB-IF, the creators of the ubiquitous technology, has published the official specifications for version 2.1 of its USB Type-C standard.

The biggest and most significant change pertains to power delivery; the 2.1 revision allows for up to 240 watts of power delivery over a single Type-C cable. This is quite a bit better than the original implementation, which topped out at 100 watts.

Per Ars Technica’s coverage:

Comparing the USB-C 2.0 standard to today’s 2.1 standard, the optional new Extended Power Range (EPR) specification—which bumps maximum voltage up to 48 V, sufficient to deliver 240 W at 5 A—seems to be by far the largest change.From a consumer’s perspective, the physical standard hasn’t changed—USB-C type 2.1 devices will...

Continue reading...

Laptops that draw 90+ watts of power are toasty beyond belief. 200+ watts should provide a space-heater effect for a large size room!

Just looked and my new laptop's usb-c charger is 65w. So 240w is crazy!
My XPS15 has a 135W charger - and it's proprietary, given that the standard didn't cover that level of power delivery.

Now, I'll agree that 240W seems excessive. I just assume that they're expecting the standard to cover just about everything in the consumer space that needs both power and data.

48v. Wowza.
They push that over CAT5 for PoE devices. Lower amperages, of course, but still enough to make 48-port PoE switches deafening!

Become a Patron!
Back