Use a NUC 9 Extreme to Stream from Your PC within a PC

Can someone explain to me how you use this NUC to make your streaming experience better? I am completely missing the boat here.

Wouldn't it be better to use a higher core count CPU and run your streaming software natively?

Nope. I expect any day that Apple decide to cash in with it too. Already trying to tap the school/gaming market. Ad campaign for slo-mo selfies for latest iphone. I'm sure the next thing will be a mac based streaming product. Just sayin'

Sigh.

I don't understand why kids can't just play games for fun anymore. Why do they always need an audience? It's so damned stupid.

And why on Earth does anyone watch these streams? Makes no sense.

I wish I had enough time on my hands to be so bored that I'd be willing to watch someone I don't even know play a game online, but that has literally not happened event in my life, at least not since I started first grade and had **** to do.

Can someone explain to me how you use this NUC to make your streaming experience better? I am completely missing the boat here.

Wouldn't it be better to use a higher core count CPU and run your streaming software natively?

Well, prior to Ryzen 3000 series to get the best streaming experience possible required a dedicated gaming PC and a dedicated streaming PC. Known as the "2 PC setup". You install a video capture card in the streaming PC and have the streaming PC's CPU do all the encoding. This allows your gaming PC to not be performance hindered by the encoding process which is CPU intensive. You'll always get much higher quality streaming out of CPU encoding over what NVENC is capable of with GPU encoding.

Now with Ryzen 3700, 3800, 3900 and 3950 you have enough CPU power to encode and game on the same machine with good quality.

Using a NUC to stream is just another version of the 2 PC setup. Though I'm not sure it has enough CPU power to equal what current streaming PC setups are capable of.

Well, prior to Ryzen 3000 series to get the best streaming experience possible required a dedicated gaming PC and a dedicated streaming PC. Known as the "2 PC setup". You install a video capture card in the streaming PC and have the streaming PC's CPU do all the encoding. This allows your gaming PC to not be performance hindered by the encoding process which is CPU intensive. You'll always get much higher quality streaming out of CPU encoding over what NVENC is capable of with GPU encoding.

Now with Ryzen 3700, 3800, 3900 and 3950 you have enough CPU power to encode and game on the same machine with good quality.

Using a NUC to stream is just another version of the 2 PC setup. Though I'm not sure it has enough CPU power to equal what current streaming PC setups are capable of.

Looking at the configuration I don't recall in which article that you could effectively put a Xeon CPU in one of these. Given that I would suspect they are relatively capable of supporting some demanding CPU's in these.

CPU options: 9th Gen Core i5, i7, i9 Xeon

As far which specific model # Xeon I'm unsure. Pulled those specs straight from the Intel Site. The pic from PCGamesN actually showed a Xeon model Nuc.

And this also is confusing. If there is no communication with the host PC, then you still need a capture card for the stream PC. How do you install a capture card? Serious streamers use PCIe capture cards since the USB ones introduce some latency.

I just googled "best capture cards" and it seems like "card" is just the name these days. Most of them appear to be little USB3 boxes.

I guess I'm with everyone else on this.

Cool concept I suppose, but must have relatively few really useful applications.

I just googled "best capture cards" and it seems like "card" is just the name these days. Most of them appear to be little USB3 boxes.

The best ones are still cards. Like the Elgato 4K60 Pro.

The USB ones work fine if you don't care about latency.

The best ones are still cards. Like the Elgato 4K60 Pro.

The USB ones work fine if you don't care about latency.

Does it really matter if your followers watching your stream are 20ms more behind than they already are due to internet latency and buffering?

Become a Patron!
Back