Users Reporting in Survey That Galaxy S23 Android OS Is Taking Up Large Amounts of Storage

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
A recent survey has users reporting that the Android OS for Samsung's latest smartphone has a ravenous appetite for storage. Esper's senior technical editor Mishaal Rahman conducted a very informal survey asking folks "how much of your phone's storage is taken up by the system?"

See full article...

Probably not OS files taking all that space. More likely Samsung collecting an absurd amount of metadata on the users. Wouldn't be surprised if it's audio and photo/video data it's collecting without the phone owner knowing.

Android 13 takes up 19 GB on my Pixel.

Last edited:
Android 13 takes up 19 GB on my Pixel.
Yep, I dug pretty deep into that thread and saw this is about average for most. It looks like the newer Samsung phones are the worst in terms of this but it's all over the map. Ars ran with it a little prematurely because there is some truth about having to set the phone up properly to get even close to an accurate reporting of the system size but even then it still ranks as the largest of them. It also reminds me of that old saying in regard to VRAM that the more you have the more it'll use. It appears that Samsung phones with 1 TB can have much larger OS installs, for whatever reasons.

Yep, I dug pretty deep into that thread and saw this is about average for most. It looks like the newer Samsung phones are the worst in terms of this but it's all over the map. Ars ran with it a little prematurely because there is some truth about having to set the phone up properly to get even close to an accurate reporting of the system size but even then it still ranks as the largest of them. It also reminds me of that old saying in regard to VRAM that the more you have the more it'll use. It appears that Samsung phones with 1 TB can have much larger OS installs, for whatever reasons.
If windows is any example... It's probably due to some sort of indexing and caching.

Hmm...

For comparison:

iOS 15 is around 2.5G just in terms of file size, however, when running it takes/reserves around 8.5G of storage space (caches, minimum free working space, room to decompress and install updates, etc). So I guess there really are 2 different metrics involved

If windows is any example... It's probably due to some sort of indexing and caching.
After discovering when I was still on a 1tb drive that my windows 11 home was using over 150 gig for the drive indexing... I did some cleanup. So just something to keep in mind.

After discovering when I was still on a 1tb drive that my windows 11 home was using over 150 gig for the drive indexing... I did some cleanup. So just something to keep in mind.
I do that about once a quarter. It always shocks me, with 10, how it'll say that maybe 8 GB can be saved by deleting old update files, which take forever to do, and then usually only frees up around 4-5 GB. Still, though, a good practice to keep. It's been something I've had to do out of necessity's sake for the last few years because my 1st OS SATA SSDs, like other users, were usually around 128 GB, and even with Windows trimmed down it could take upwards of 60 GB. These days I'm happy to have OS drives that are a bit bigger NVMe's at 1 TB (I went with these more so because there are speed differences at the 512 GB level) but still don't want to let things get wasteful.

Goddamn bloat is beyond getting out of control.

I don't care if it is a computer, a tablet or a phone. IMHO, the OS that resides on it is supposed to be an OS, not a full ecosystem with all the applications anyone might want preinstalled.

An operating system should be a kernel, drivers, a window/display manager and a means to install what the user wants, and that's it.

If you want a program or an app YOU install it. NOTHING should come preinstalled.

Goddamn bloat is beyond getting out of control.

I don't care if it is a computer, a tablet or a phone. IMHO, the OS that resides on it is supposed to be an OS, not a full ecosystem with all the applications anyone might want preinstalled.

An operating system should be a kernel, drivers, a window/display manager and a means to install what the user wants, and that's it.

If you want a program or an app YOU install it. NOTHING should come preinstalled.
There are a lot of preinstalled things that we all use... in Windows.

notepad <-- for when we can't use something like notepad++

Task manager

Resource monitor

Explorer (aka file explorer)

mmc and it's many snapin's like control panel applets.

If I broke MMC down it would be a TON.

Command prompt.

Network configuration.

and the list go's on.

There are a lot of preinstalled things that we all use... in Windows.
Hmm, yeah, we use them, but that's a different question than if they need to be there in the first place - because replacement apps exist for every one of those things, and most of them are better than what's provided "in the box".

That said, I don't have a problem with anything Grim listed as being pre-installed. I think an OS should have enough built-in tools to at least be functional and useful out of the box... and having basic things like control panels and a basic text editor I don't think is too much to accept.

But Edge... hmm. I mean, it's one thing to have a browser included with your system as a basic function, like a text editor. It's another thing to constantly force it upon your users if they choose to use something else. Microsoft crosses the line there I think - much in the same vein that Apple does with Safari on iOS (but oddly enough, does it acceptably and gracefully on OS X).

But Edge... hmm. I mean, it's one thing to have a browser included with your system as a basic function, like a text editor. It's another thing to constantly force it upon your users if they choose to use something else. Microsoft crosses the line there I think - much in the same vein that Apple does with Safari on iOS (but oddly enough, does it acceptably and gracefully on OS X).
Oh yea I agree here FULLY. I'm sure the explorer is somehow using the edge back end as well.

Keep in mind that at one time you used to have a choice of what was installed when you installed the OS. In the case of Windows is became fewer and fewer options of what you could choose over time until it was finally decided you no longer had a choice. As the choices became fewer I came to like Windows less.

And at least for a while you could uninstall some of the things you weren't allowed to tell it not to install but that has also disappeared.

I have the same issue with phone OSes. They are too bloated and the footprint is insane for something so limited; especially as a base install.

Keep in mind that at one time you used to have a choice of what was installed when you installed the OS. In the case of Windows is became fewer and fewer options of what you could choose over time until it was finally decided you no longer had a choice. As the choices became fewer I came to like Windows less.

And at least for a while you could uninstall some of the things you weren't allowed to tell it not to install but that has also disappeared.

I have the same issue with phone OSes. They are too bloated and the footprint is insane for something so limited; especially as a base install.

This is why I buy unlocked Pixel's direct from Google. No carrier or other bloat. Just plain vanilla Android.

This is why I buy unlocked Pixel's direct from Google. No carrier or other bloat. Just plain vanilla Android.
If I ever go back to Android for a phone I'll probably do the same. Currently trapped with Apple due to the entire family only wanting to use Facetime for most calls.

Yeah, I still use CC Cleaner and it always shocks me when it tells me that Edge is running and asks to force it to close. I'm like, I wasn't even using the d*** thing. Add the whole AI thing into it and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be looking into hacks to block that thing since basic common sense measures are becoming less effective in managing it.

Makes Linux look better and better all the time.

Even Linux distributions are starting to ship with bloat.

A base install of Mint has so much bullshit preinstalled and it is so annoying.

At least you can remove it all if you want to, but I'd rather install the software I want, rather than having to uninstall all the software I don't.

Even Linux distributions are starting to ship with bloat.

A base install of Mint has so much bullshit preinstalled and it is so annoying.

At least you can remove it all if you want to, but I'd rather install the software I want, rather than having to uninstall all the software I don't.
You mean, you don't use Arch, btw?

Become a Patron!
Back