Valve Faces Patent Infringement Lawsuit over Steam Deck and Valve Index

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Immersion Corporation, a developer and provider of technologies for haptics, has announced that it has filed a complaint against Valve in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington over what is alleged to be patent infringement regarding its Steam Deck and Valve Index devices. The complaint against Valve asserts infringement of at least seven patents, including those involving a "method and apparatus for providing tactile sensations" and a "system for haptically representing sensor input." This does not appear to be the first time that Immersion has filed a suit against a gaming giant over patent infringement claims.

See full article...

I'm curious how successful Immersion Corporation's lawsuits have been to date against other makers. That will inform the risk that Steam is looking at.

And yes copyright enforcement is important because as soon as a company fails to enforce copyright is when someone else can argue that it is null and void.

And Google bard.... your suck:
1684259508510.png

Rephrased my question and got back something useful:

What lawsuits has immersion interactive filed?​

Immersion Corporation, the company formerly known as Immersion Interactive, has filed a number of lawsuits against various companies in the tech industry. These lawsuits have alleged patent infringement of Immersion's haptic feedback technology.
Some of the companies that Immersion Corporation has sued include:
  • Apple
  • Google
  • Microsoft
  • Nintendo
  • Sony
  • Valve
Immersion Corporation has also sued a number of smaller companies that make gaming hardware and software.
The lawsuits filed by Immersion Corporation have been successful in some cases and unsuccessful in others. In 2017, Immersion Corporation settled a lawsuit with Apple for $80 million. In 2018, Immersion Corporation lost a lawsuit against Sony and was ordered to pay Sony $40 million.
Immersion Corporation's lawsuits have been controversial. Some people have accused Immersion Corporation of being a patent troll, a company that buys patents with the sole purpose of suing other companies for infringement. Immersion Corporation has denied these accusations, saying that it is simply trying to protect its intellectual property.
The lawsuits filed by Immersion Corporation have had a significant impact on the tech industry. They have raised awareness of the importance of haptic feedback technology and have led to a number of companies developing their own haptic feedback solutions.

At first, I would've thought nothing of this but in reading the Wiki link in the article it appears they've had successful legal campaigns against Microsoft and Sony which is impressive. I recommend reading that post as there are some interesting details. Valve better have its act together if it's hoping to win this because Immersion has precedence on its side with winning cases such as this.

I remember when the SIXAXIS controller for PS3 launched without rumble because of the Immersion lawsuit, and then after that sh1t got taken care of, the DualShock 3 came out. I also remembered them going after Microsoft (though I don't remember the details), but I don't recall them having issues with Nintendo. I thought Nintendo and Immersion were cool since the beginning, cuz Nintendo wasn't a f*cking retard like Sony and Microsoft were. I think Nintendo had gotten proper permission from Immersion for their rumble tech.

Become a Patron!
Back