Venom: Let There Be Carnage Is Being Delayed to 2022, Sources Claim

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
venom-let-there-be-carnage-poster-venom-versus-carnage-cropped-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony Pictures

It was only two weeks ago that Sony Pictures dropped the disappointing news that its Venom sequel, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, would be delayed from its original premiere date of September 24 to October 15.

Insiders are now claiming that the film will be pushed back again, and not only that, it’ll be delayed for far longer than just a couple of weeks.

As reported by Vulture, “multiple inside sources” have stated that Sony is planning to delay Venom: Let There Be Carnage from October 15 all the way into next year. The movie will now purportedly premiere on January 21, 2022.

The date is notable in that it was originally reserved for Jared Leto’s vampire-superhero thriller, Morbius. While it’d be interesting to see both of these films show up in theaters at the same time (both Venom and Morbius are villains of...

Continue reading...

I get the industry wants to go back to making $500M-$1B+ blockbusters but even if the pandemic magically disappeared tomorrow it still wouldn't happen that quickly. There are far too many factors at play now; fatigue/oversaturation of the market is on most peoples minds, prior to the superhero craze revenue was already plummeting so I don't know what they're planning on without it(sequels and reboots still seem to be the formula), theater prices have driven many away, more people are content to wait until it either streams or gets a physical release, and let's face it the economy isn't exactly at its best right now and many are still more worried about paying the bills. I'm sure there are more reasons that can be added but ultimately it just shows the denial the execs in charge of these releases are living in. I also get they want to make their investment back and then some but pushing dates back continuously isn't going to help when everything gets backed up and released at the same time.

I think the lawsuits over streaming/theatrical revenue have merit but they clearly show the industry needs to continue to adjust if it wants to survive post-pandemic. For decades many claimed streaming would be an answer to piracy and declining numbers. I saw a story the other day that claimed Disney has already made over $120M for BW in streaming. At the end of July, it was said to have been at over $327M worldwide. Cleary hybrid approaches can work if the execs get over their mega-multi-billion-dollar fantasies.

Went to the movies with family the other day. Each seat was just over 22 bucks. Then add food on top of that for six people.. let's just say a movie experience for a family of six adults was easily over 300 bucks with no alcohol consumed.

Went to the movies with family the other day. Each seat was just over 22 bucks. Then add food on top of that for six people.. let's just say a movie experience for a family of six adults was easily over 300 bucks with no alcohol consumed.
Exactly my point. Friggin' insane. About four years ago me, my wife and her mom, went to an afternoon showing when the prices were a bit lower, mom got senior discount, and the tickets alone were around $50-$60 for the three of us. I don't remember exactly but we were all pretty surprised. It's just not worth it to me anymore. Besides I've got a 4K projector and Atmos setup, not too mention god knows how many displays in the house, so there's really nothing for me to gain. Factor in the new gazebo we got on the patio along with my BBQ/smoker right outside the living room and I really have no motivation to go. Beer is cold folks and I don't have to drive. :)

I stopped going to theaters a long-@ss time ago, but I did return briefly for a few years in the middle of the MCU craze to check out the theater experience again, mainly thanks to an AMC theater near me that offered $6 tickets on Tuesdays. Comfy reclining seats, good screens, good surround sound, but most importantly a price I felt was appropriate. I usually went to the movies on weekday mornings, which cut down on the number of talkative @ssholes using their phones and sh1t during the movie. It was a neat experiment, but nothing to keep me in movie theaters permanently, and by the time Avengers: Endgame rolled around, I had decided to stop again. The movie-watching experience is just better at home: food, drinks, pausing, bathroom breaks, rewind, screens with better colors and image quality, you name it. It's not hard to beat the theater's visual experience and match (or even exceed) the audio experience in the home. Why should I leave my house, spend gas, buy a ticket that is only good for one showing, and pay for what is really an inferior experience? Plus I never get drinks at the theater, so that I don't have to take a piss in the middle of the movie. Not a problem at home.
Besides I've got a 4K projector and Atmos setup, not too mention god knows how many displays in the house, so there's really nothing for me to gain. Factor in the new gazebo we got on the patio along with my BBQ/smoker right outside the living room and I really have no motivation to go. Beer is cold folks and I don't have to drive.
I think I found my new movie theater...

I think movie studios got scared to death when they saw Black Widow didn't even crack $200 million in domestic theaters after its run, so I'm not surprised.

I think movie studios got scared to death when they saw Black Widow didn't even crack $200 million in domestic theaters after its run, so I'm not surprised.
Yeah this is what I'm suspecting as well - seeing a lot of titles (that didn't have streaming agreements) get pushed way back. I think they are scared of lackluster releases and apathetic turnouts. These movies are probably 95% done sitting around just waiting for "the right time" to release.

I'm in no hurry to go back to the theater, even without Covid as a consideration.

Become a Patron!
Back