Warcraft 2 Is Reportedly Happening

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
warcraft-movie-poster-1024x576.jpg
Image: Legendary Pictures

Despite doing relatively well in China, Warcraft was a huge flop in the United States, earning just over $24 million at the domestic box office. You’d think that a sequel would be permanently off the table based on such weak earnings, but according to insider Daniel Ritchman (via MovieWeb), a Warcraft 2 is actually in the works.

While plot details appear to non-existent (Ritchman’s scoop is locked behind his Patreon account), revisiting Blizzard’s RTS epic may not be such a bad idea for Legendary Studios. Despite its lukewarm reception in the states, the original film still holds the record for highest-grossing video game movie of all time ($439 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo).

The writers also have plenty of...

Continue reading...

I sort-of-enjoyed it. Not horrible but not great. I wouldn't mind a sequel if for no other reason than it's not another reboot of something else. I think original content needs all the support it can get so maybe Hollywood execs will get a clue.

I read this title and thought to myself, "Didn't we already have a Warcraft 2 happen in ~1995?"

Then I thought, "Maybe it's a remaster or remake of some sort?"

I had no idea they had made a Warcraft film. Did not hear about it at all when it first launched, and can't imagine an RTS game makes for a good movie...

I sort-of-enjoyed it. Not horrible but not great. I wouldn't mind a sequel if for no other reason than it's not another reboot of something else. I think original content needs all the support it can get so maybe Hollywood execs will get a clue.
That's how I feel. It was worth a watch, but nothing spectacular or truly memorable. Just a movie to star Travis Fimmel in after Vikings success

Yeah, it happened 25 years ago. Oh, its he movie that nobody watched? Yeah I'm not watching this one either.

I enjoyed the first movie, but can easily see why it didn't gain a lot of traction. If you have strong Warcraft lore knowledge, then the movie made a lot of sense. The wife and I enjoyed it, and we'd probably watch the sequel.

I enjoyed the first one. My wife did not. Like mentioned, if you don't know the lore it's hard to follow.

Absolutely loved the first movie. Was finally another example of a good movie based on a video game after Silent Hill. Surprised to hear a second one is being made after the first one flopped in the US, but a nice surprise nonetheless. I don't know why it gets a lot of hate.

Never saw the first one. Played the game since day one, left it in 2019 and probably will never return.

Story lost it's appeal to me.

Never saw the first one. Played the game since day one, left it in 2019 and probably will never return.

Story lost it's appeal to me.
First movie is based on the original game. The fact that it wasn't based on the World of Warcraft period is probably why it wasn't that popular, now that I think about it.

I read this title and thought to myself, "Didn't we already have a Warcraft 2 happen in ~1995?"
Did not hear about it at all when it first launched, and can't imagine a game makes for a good movie...

There I fixed it for you.

Funny thing , I played Warcraft 1 and 2 and don't remember a ' story' at all... Not even a crumb... So those games had ' stories' huh?

There I fixed it for you.

I think there are some games with pretty good story lines and well crafted universes that could make for very good movies.

It's just that thus far they have been entrusted to Uwe Boll to make crap out of them, because rather than treating the universe with respect, it has turned into a quick low investment cash cow to profit from the popularity of the game.

Something like the Deus Ex reboot could make for a very good film. There was even talk of that for a while, before it died off.

I think when you get into games, like Warcraft, that have such a huge amount of rich lore - the problem is more of where and how to start.

I can think of several IPs that I think would make great movies, the biggest problem being narrowing the content down to managable 2 hr chunks.

I didn’t think the first Warcraft movie was horrible, but I also don’t think it did the lore or the game justice

I think when you get into games, like Warcraft, that have such a huge amount of rich lore - the problem is more of where and how to start.

I can think of several IPs that I think would make great movies, the biggest problem being narrowing the content down to managable 2 hr chunks.

I didn’t think the first Warcraft movie was horrible, but I also don’t think it did the lore or the game justice
Agreed. Blizzard has done a really good job with lore for all three of their franchises (even though Starcraft is basically a War40k knockoff).

Explaining Warcraft story in a single movie, or even a trilogy, would be insane, unless you only concentrate on a single story arc but that really wouldn't make much sense either.

For that reason, I think they'd be better off just doing a Diablo movie. It's a much simpler story to execute. You've got your Barbarian or a Necro, and you go fight evil. Done. It's cut and dry and everyone can follow it.

Agreed. Blizzard has done a really good job with lore for all three of their franchises (even though Starcraft is basically a War40k knockoff).

Explaining Warcraft story in a single movie, or even a trilogy, would be insane, unless you only concentrate on a single story arc but that really wouldn't make much sense either.

For that reason, I think they'd be better off just doing a Diablo movie. It's a much simpler story to execute. You've got your Barbarian or a Necro, and you go fight evil. Done. It's cut and dry and everyone can follow it.
I agree. For WoW they would need an MCU amount of movies to explain it all and at the end people wouldn't be satisfied.....much like the game, lol.

Become a Patron!
Back