What CPUs are in your Machines?

Main PC: AMD Threadripper 2950x
Previous PC: Intel Core-i7 3770k
FreeNAS: AMD E-350 Processor
Work Laptop: Some POS Intel 2 core CPU with hyper-threading. Opening a new tab in Firefox spikes all four cores.

My ancient ASUS G75vw has an Intel Core i7 3720QM in it. After throwing an SSD in it, the thing is still pretty snappy due to having four cores with Hyperthreading. It can still play games, albeit on lower settings for anything newer.

Currently I'm rocking a 9900k cooled by a Corsair H150i and Kryotech Paste. Boosts to 4.8 ghz....I haven't really felt any need to get it to 5.

Home Desktop: i7 860 @4.4GHz o_O ...soon to be dumped for the ryzen 3900x
Home Lab: 2x Xeon E5-2670
Workstation: i5 7200U
Work Other: Xeon, xeon's everywhere, far too many to list

i7-8700K on main rig.
2600X on guest rig.
i5-9400F on TV rig.
i5-3570K on GF rig.

My beastly i7-2600K. Pure, raw, concentrated kickass in a can. Wolfenstein (1991)? Crushes it. DOOM (1993)? Rip 'n tear!

Cinebench R20 multithread? Uh... hey, what's that ove- <ruuuuns>

Well it's pretty much in my signature but here's a little more breakdown.

edit: I know you said 'just the CPU no other specs' but honestly each CPU has a story on why it was chosen. I don't just pick on one spec alone. There's a logic path for each.

4930k @ 4.3Ghz w/ a Hyper 212(fan at 100%) that keeps it in the 50-60c range under gaming loads. 60-66c under bench or render loads. This is the 4k rig but also used for more extreme FPS 1440p testing with DXR stuff. I chose this CPU due to it's 40 PCIe lanes and a great BF deal thru Newegg(around $400 for both the MOBO & CPU back then). At the time I had SLI and a PhysX setup to take advantage of the lanes. MOBO also has 3 RAID chips and at the I time was using them with six platters. Now back down to 1 GPU and not using the raids but might as SSD SATA III prices continue to drop. Just waiting to get a pair of 2TB's for a good price. More extreme enthusiasts go for the 3930k's but I've been very happy with this one and it's proven it will suffice for at least one or two more top end GPU gens. The MOBO is unusual and by no means a preferred gamer's choice but it's been great for my needs a still offers a lot of options for the future.

2600k @ 4.2Ghz using a Hyper 212 EVO that keeps it in the same temperature ranges as the one above. OC is via OC genie from the MOBO. I know I could take it higher manually but the gains are just not worth it for me. This rig is in the living room and very, very, quiet. This was my 1st post pentium 4 build. This rig is the daily use and 1440p gaming machine. Anyone who knows Intel CPU's can tell you the amazing history of this model and it's siblings. It's one for the history books with the first person, single player, games I play and it'll still hold around 50-70% usage for most and only recently started pegging 80% and higher(SOTTR). It drives that 1080TI to 80-120FPS on average in 1440p. I bought this CPU ~July/August 2011 and it's been running since except for a year or so off during the 4930k build.

5700HQ @ 2.7Ghz(boost to 3.4Ghz) in a MSI GT80 2QE Titan laptop. This was a graduation gift but an unusual beast also. 2x980m's in SLI. 2 pairs of m.2's each in RAID0 and a platter. As laptop CPU's this one has done reasonably well with the pairing of GPU's. It just fast enough to not bottleneck them much and allow upwards of 120hz at 1080p(attached monitor)for games that support SLI. Biggest complaint was the laptop display, 1080p 60hz, should've been a 100+ hz since the cpu/gpu's can easily hold 60fps for most games at ultra. Overall a fun laptop but with the death of SLI I recently re-purposed it as a music server in the cave since it's near silent, in this capacity-not gaming, and connected to a nice home theater set-up. I also just finished moving all my FLAC files to a portable HHD so I can use it a server for my DIME account which I've neglected over the last few years. I've also never been happy with the laptop's cooling solution. At max I've seen the CPU hit 80c and that's too hot for my taste. It's living a much easier life now.

Last edited:
Well it's pretty much in my signature but here's a little more breakdown.

edit: I know you said 'just the CPU no other specs' but honestly each CPU has a story on why it was chosen. I don't just pick on one spec alone. There's a logic path for each.

4930k @ 4.3Ghz w/ a Hyper 212(fan at 100%) that keeps it in the 50-60c range under gaming loads. 60-66c under bench or render loads. This is the 4k rig but also used for more extreme FPS 1440p testing with DXR stuff. I chose this CPU due to it's 40 PCIe lanes and a great BF deal thru Newegg(around $400 for both the MOBO & CPU back then). At the time I had SLI and a PhysX setup to take advantage of the lanes. MOBO also has 3 RAID chips and at the I time was using them with six platters. Now back down to 1 GPU and not using the raids but might as SSD SATA III prices continue to drop. Just waiting to get a pair of 2TB's for a good price. More extreme enthusiasts go for the 3930k's but I've been very happy with this one and it's proven it will suffice for at least one or two more top end GPU gens. The MOBO is unusual and by no means a preferred gamer's choice but it's been great for my needs a still offers a lot of options for the future.

2600k @ 4.2Ghz using a Hyper 212 EVO that keeps it in the same temperature ranges as the one above. OC is via OC genie from the MOBO. I know I could take it higher manually but the gains are just not worth it for me. This rig is in the living room and very, very, quiet. This was my 1st post pentium 4 build. This rig is the daily use and 1440p gaming machine. Anyone who knows Intel CPU's can tell you the amazing history of this model and it's siblings. It's one for the history books with the first person, single player, games I play and it'll still hold around 50-70% usage for most and only recently started pegging 80% and higher(SOTTR). It drives that 1080TI to 80-120FPS on average in 1440p. I bought this CPU ~July/August 2011 and it's been running since except for a year or so off during the 4930k build.

5700HQ @ 2.7Ghz(boost to 3.4Ghz) in a MSI GT80 2QE Titan laptop. This was a graduation gift but an unusual beast also. 2x980m's in SLI. 2 pairs of m.2's each in RAID0 and a platter. As laptop CPU's this one has done reasonably well with the pairing of GPU's. It just fast enough to not bottleneck them much and allow upwards of 120hz at 1080p(attached monitor)for games that support SLI. Biggest complaint was the laptop display, 1080p 60hz, should've been a 100+ hz since the cpu/gpu's can easily hold 60fps for most games at ultra. Overall a fun laptop but with the death of SLI I recently re-purposed it as a music server in the cave since it's near silent, in this capacity-not gaming, and connected to a nice home theater set-up. I also just finished moving all my FLAC files to a portable HHD so I can use it a server for my DIME account which I've neglected over the last few years. I've also never been happy with the laptop's cooling solution. At max I've seen the CPU hit 80c and that's too hot for my taste. It's living a much easier life now.

My CPU choices are nothing like this. I simply buy the highest clocked part with the most cores I can afford at the time I decide to buy one. Occasionally, I end up with freebies and I use those. For example, I didn't pay for my dual QX9775 setup.

Home (game) machine: AMD Ryzen
Work laptop: Intel Xeon E3-1545M

My CPU choices are nothing like this. I simply buy the highest clocked part with the most cores I can afford at the time I decide to buy one. Occasionally, I end up with freebies and I use those. For example, I didn't pay for my dual QX9775 setup.

I totally understand. I'm usually on such a tight budget that each rig has to be planned for a multitude of uses and is expected to last 5-10 years for what it's intended. The rigs in my signature are happily carrying on that tradition.

The days of freebies have ended for me as my own rigs far surpass anything that anyone I know would hand down to me. I'm actually the one giving things away these days. I had a few though in the Pentium 1-3 days and then I started building my own with a P4 around 2000. Eventually that P4 rig ended up with the fastest one I could afford, 2.4Ghz in 2005 which also included a MOBO upgrade with my 1st SATA I RAID, and then retired around 2007. I was proud of that rig since it could play some 1080p media files and with a USB OTA stick I was recording the Star Trek HD remasters years before the Blu-Rays were out. Final GPU in that rig is a ATI HD2600 Pro which provided some DX10 features, even on XP.

Hardest part for me now with future plans is knowing, that outside of maybe Case/GPU/PSU, my next build will likely be from scratch as I want to move into the DDR4/NVMe/PCIe 4.0/TR or Ryzen field and in the 2700x or 2950x performance range with their next gens. Looking forward to your reviews for guidance.

I'll just keep it to the machines that actually work:

Home work desktop: Ryzen 2700X
Macbook Pro: i7-4750HQ
frankenstein hadoop cluster: i5-3470, i5-5300U, Xeon W3680
Wife's iMac: E8135 (Core 2 Duo Penryn) -- to be replaced this year, I think
Ultra 60: 2 x 450MHz UltraSPARC II -- to be retired this year, I hope

There's also a Powerbook G3 Bronze Keyboard ("Lombard") that still works, but I probably shouldn't count it since I only turn it on when I'm showing off to someone.

My gaming system - i7-3770K
Kids gaming system - i5-4570
Home office/wife's - i3-2100
Laptop - i5-3210m

5960x. I got it for 1/2 price back in the day. Son ordered it, something else came out that was faster not long after, so I snatched it up.
I have a 2700 in my mining cabinet for video cameras.

Become a Patron!
Back