What is your target FPS for gaming?

What is your target FPS for gaming?

• Total voters

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
As the title says, I'm polling to get an idea of our readers/gamers target FPS for playing games. I.E., what framerate do you like to play at? Simple as that. Don't make it too complicated, if the exact FPS isn't listed, go with the next closest answer, go with your gut, first instinct :)

Once you make your vote, it sticks, no changing, so get it right the first time!

I'm currently running a 1080p 75hz monitor so I go for 75fps but am hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor later this year. If so, it will obviously change then

I've had displays ranging from 60 to 120 Hz, a 144 Hz, and recently took a chance on a 200 Hz and can say that for myself that I'm pretty happy if things can render solidly in the 90-110+ range. I could only just barely tell a difference going from 144 to 200 and even then if someone tested me I'd probably not be accurate in my guesses. However, I can easily notice anything under 60 and just enjoy things when they get upwards of 120. This is another reason why the C2 has been a perfect display for me.

I've had a 144hz display before my current which is a 75Hz, I had no issues going back. It's not that I can't tell the difference between 75 and 144FPS, but that I don't care. For me Graphics > FPS always. I play every game at the maximum ultra setting, or the setting that produces at least 45FPS on average, which is where I draw the line for playability. Of course I'd prefer higher FPS but not at the cost of graphics fidelity.

I don’t have any set requirement - if the screen isn’t tearing and I don’t notice sluggishness some games are just fine at a stable 30 to me (mostly MMOs and single player games) - but higher does look better when I can get it

I've commented a number of times in recent years that it's a bit more complicated these days when it comes to the ideal resolution vs framerate with there being so many different types of gamers out there now. We also have so many more graphical options now, plus different types of displays that offer significantly different visual experiences, from graphical fidelity to chasing the pixel dragon and then the speed fanatics there are really a lot of different angles to examine. I'm primarily focused on IQ but will suffer minor compromises to keep FPS in a sweet spot at 4k. The catch is that we're constantly getting new features added to games that can still make things even look good at 1080p, especially if using a nice display, and the resolution goal is as much a moving target as is FPS.

Depends on the game. For a slow paced RPG I'll crank up the graphics for all the eye candy and try to maintain over 60 FPS. For a fast paced FPS I'll dial the graphics so I maintain as close to 144 FPS as possible.

For me it really depends on the game. However as a general rule I'd like to be no less than 60fps if possible. I generally aim for running a game at max settings at 60fps at the minimum, but I'll take more than 60fps when I can get it. After getting HRR monitors I also prefer to get the framerate as close to the max refresh rate as I can, but it's not a dealbreaker if can't. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to be some framerate elitist though. I've been gaming since the 2nd console generation. I've definitely played games that were 30fps or less (especially during 5th-gen, and the early days of 3D on both consoles and PC - some of those N64 games were rough!). I've also played plenty of PC games where I sacrificed framerate for eye candy. My first time going through TR 2013 I ran it at 40fps max settings, and that was perfectly playable, even though it looked and felt so much better when I re-played the game on my next PC at well over 80fps.

On the other hand, higher framerates are way better for input feel/response and play control, and I appreciate having that even for games where it doesn't matter anywhere near as much. I also really like how games look at higher framerates versus lower ones. After being at 60Hz for soooo many years, I really appreciated that higher refresh rates allowed way more frames to get to my eyes each second than just the usual 60 I was used to. The added visual smoothness is ridiculous, and I appreciate how much clearer things look, and how I can track sh1t in motion with my eyes better. Visual detail that is in motion is easier to see. DF calls it "resolution over time." There is a point of diminishing returns though, and at some point I don't need the framerate to just keep getting higher and higher. It hits a point where it's "good enough", same as resolution.

Depending on the game it's a toss-up on whether I prefer graphics or framerate, cuz I did spend too many years not able to run games at max settings, so when I finally did start getting hardware that allowed me to do that years ago, I've been going for that as well. My first time going through a game I especially like to use max graphics settings, because of how the memories of the game get seared into the mind. That first run has the strongest impression. I guess I try not to sacrifice either. I don't wanna turn the graphics down but I don't wanna give up framerate either. Honestly what I've cared about the most is VRR, and that has been tremendously helpful. Regardless of framerate I can have a smooth, tear-free experience without having to use VSYNC.

I'm pretty happy if things can render solidly in the 90-110+ range.
Yeah I would say that range is generally the sweet spot for me too.

I could only just barely tell a difference going from 144 to 200 and even then if someone tested me I'd probably not be accurate in my guesses. However, I can easily notice anything under 60 and just enjoy things when they get upwards of 120.
Generally the same case with me as well.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back