What Linux OS do you use currently?

I don't use Linux on my desktops, but use it fairly extensively on my servers and virtual machines - no GUI for me.
  • The FPS Review website and Forums - Ubuntu 18.04
  • Home Storage Server - Freenas (Free BSD)
  • Main gig web server - CentOS 7 (Running Plesk)
  • Other VMs - Mix of Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 depending on when I set them up.

How do you like FreeNAS and if you are using ZFS, how do you deal with adding drives?

I use Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS on my home server and just use WoL and SSH to access it from my laptop.

Server at work is redhat and Alpine for most docker images. Server at home, ubunto 16.04 for base and 18.04 in most lxc's... none with a gui. I recently tried ubuntu on my desktop (with default hi) for a few days and it's still not even close to ready for desktop, as I assume it never will be honestly but try every few years just to ch do progress. I am probably going to update my server to 18.04, get rid of proxmox (similar to esxi) and start playing around with docker at the house some more. It's much thinner and eaiser to spin up vs lxc containers.

Trying Debian 10 out but having to download a rng just to get ssh working on a reboot gives me an unsettling feeling.

I do use real-time Linux for my desktop cnc that I use to route circuit boards on, I forgot about that one.

Anyone try out PureOS? They are behind the Librem product line; supposed to be security/privacy focused.

Thinking of giving Pop OS a whirl. Awaiting new internet service in the next couple of weeks.

Fedora/CentOS for servers, Arch for desktop.
iOS and macOS for mobile/laptops :)

CentOS 6.10 on one system and CentOS 7.3 on another system.
Couple VMs I have running Debian, not sure which version. They're about 2 years old now IIRC.

Using Fedora 30 on the primary home desktop.
Have about 15 raspberry pis all running raspbian (debian)
Freenas runs bsd, but it's not like you really do much outside of the ui
Running centos as the router into the pi network

Work is pretty much entirely OL

I don't have a single Linux install with a UI... Got 2 Rapid, 1 server and1 "test box" all running command line only. Never understood the point of a Linux desktop, I try it once in a while (about once a year for 20+ years now), see it still sucks* and load windows back up. Still waiting for the year of the Linux desktop, but it works great for my servers and stuff, so I'll just keep using it where I find it useful.

*Sucks is relative, the UIs are getting nicer looking and all, but the apps are still slacking and the games I play still aren't supported. Actually rocket league was supported, but they are dropping it. Rainbow 6 siege still doesn't work, plenty of others as well. It's such a catch 22, but it has at least gotten better as of late with steam/ubuntu pushing some Linux stuff.

Become a Patron!
Back