What OS's, Appliances, and other Software do you run on your VM Servers?

IceDigger

Staff member
Weather you use your VM for work or just playing around and having fun with it. What OS, appliances, etc... do you have running on your servers?

Mine is just for work right now and just hosts my Simple Help remote server. I have been running it on an older C2D 8500 desktop for years on a big old dell workstation. Yay for consolidation. Also went from using the server from windows vista (don't laugh) to linux lite 4.4 and worked like a charm since they have a linux based edition of the software. So easy to configure too.

Not sure where else to go from here. I have 10x 2.5" 900GB SAS drives I can throw in it, and also 2x 2.5" 1TB 7.2k I can use also. SAS or bust as usual for this old machine!

For my home lab:
  • I am running pfSense for my firewall/router.
  • I've got one running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for my UNIFI Controller (to manage WiFi for the house)
  • Another Ubuntu 18.04 server for my kids Minecraft servers
  • Other test VMs mainly for when I'm testing crap for work.
Simple Help looks nice! If I get back into the Consulting business I would think of going down that road for remote support. For the price it seems neat!

IceDigger

Staff member
Hmmm never thought of that. Hosting game servers on it. Should handle stuff no problem I'm guessing.

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm never thought of that. Hosting game servers on it. Should handle stuff no problem I'm guessing.
I've been running into issues with game servers where they are not multi-threaded, specifically, MineCraft and Space Engineers. I've got plenty of cores, but with an all core turbo around 2.1GHz, it chokes on single threaded game servers..

I've been running into issues with game servers where they are not multi-threaded, specifically, MineCraft and Space Engineers. I've got plenty of cores, but with an all core turbo around 2.1GHz, it chokes on single threaded game servers..
While for modded Minecraft that is very true, my kids are vanilla junkies and running Vanilla MC on it isn't too taxing..

I run proxmox at the moment, but probably switching to docker of sorts. I have one Minecraft container running bungee with mutliple worlds (about 10 running in total that you can get to via the lobby) with all different mods. I have a separate one setup for pixel Mon (Pokemon for Minecraft that the kids like). I have a Plex server with a quad TV capture that I use for DVR and movies. Have one setup for some of my programing for testing (node js, sql, etc). NAS (sba). Looking into adding an ldap server and maybe a few other things.

Grimlakin

Sort-of-Regular
For ours we run pretty much all of our application servers and DC's and even Avaya phone servers in a virtual environment. The only thing we are 100% physical on are the network and the SQL machine because those are multi threaded to a large degree and the licensing to do those virtually is crazy high.

It's all work stuff, cause sadly since I got into IT for work I've become a total lazy ass consumer at home... But anyway:
I run a couple openvpn appliances in failover, a couple dedicated DCs, a file/print server, SQL server...

Which makes me wonder about an above posters comment. Is there something I missed with running Microsoft SQL server in a VM? Should I consider making this a physical deal?

It's all work stuff, cause sadly since I got into IT for work I've become a total lazy ass consumer at home... But anyway:
I run a couple openvpn appliances in failover, a couple dedicated DCs, a file/print server, SQL server...

Which makes me wonder about an above posters comment. Is there something I missed with running Microsoft SQL server in a VM? Should I consider making this a physical deal?
Not that I'm aware of. I prefer running my SQL Servers as a VM, even if it's the only VM on the box. This way I can take advantage of migrating the VM to another host in the case of a hardware failure. While the new home won't be optimal, I'll be able to get the server back up and running quicker.

Cool thanks. And I agree.. My life has been so much better when emergencies strike since I virtualized everything. Hyper-v replication is also pretty spiffy for this. Had as little as 30 minutes downtime during my last hardware failure.