Will Nvidia’s RTX 2070 Be Making a Comeback?

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
rtx-2070.png

It seems that AMD’s 5700 XT may have shaken things up in the mid range GPU market. Only a few months ago it was announced that the 2070 would be EOL and replaced by the 2070 Super but now GamersNexus has reported that they’ve received news that Nvidia has ordered more 2070 dies. Recently Brent Justice published a review showing how the Asus Strix 5700 XT O8G was able to outperform the RTX 2060 Super and hold its own with the RTX 2070 Super while being priced just under the RTX 2070 Super.

Could it be that Nvidia wants to make sure this part of the market does get away from them? It's well known that the low to mid range tier is often AMD's arena of strong sales and the 5700 XT is very competitively priced for it's performance range so a move of this kind is a good sign of healthy marketplace competition.

Very interesting if true. I was under the impression that all vanilla RTX models would eventually be replaced with their refreshed Super variants (for those that are getting such variants), at some point.

Confused. So if the 5700XT compares to the 2070 Super, why order more vanilla 2070 chips? That would be slower than the competition... and the 2060 Super meets or beats the 2070 vanilla.... this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to this guy.

Yea I also find it confusing. So many rumours floating around these days. I can’t see the point of this one. Hell it would have to undercut the vanilla 5700 for a start.

Yea I also find it confusing. So many rumours floating around these days. I can’t see the point of this one. Hell it would have to undercut the vanilla 5700 for a start.
Very interesting if true. I was under the impression that all vanilla RTX models would eventually be replaced with their refreshed Super variants (for those that are getting such variants), at some point.
I figure both angles apply here. NV had stated that the Vanilla or first run FE's were over and that the Supers were the current run. Problem is that the 5700 xt hit a vulnerable market point and may be taking a hold there.

Nothing truly confirmed other than what GN stated but sometimes rumor's often become true. Either way I'm glad that both sides are at the table especially with the holidays and new year right around the corner.

Gotta look pretty hard to see much daylight in the current lineup. Not sure exactly how this slots in... Maybe it's an OEM play, or a SEAsia play or something.

Gotta look pretty hard to see much daylight in the current lineup. Not sure exactly how this slots in... Maybe it's an OEM play, or a SEAsia play or something.
Totally agree. I've often posted here, and [H], and even Tom's(years ago), how it seems at times that NV will seem to use various parts to make new cards just to hold a spot. I once saw a wiki page for the maxwell cards that could make most dizzy from it.

It seems to be about $50 per 10fps increase up until the 2060 Super or so. The 1660 Super made things rather clear among the clutter of the lower turing tiers. Maybe they will just play the name game again with slower ram or something for OEMs and certain markets.

Become a Patron!
Back