Windows 11 Appears to Be Getting Native RGB Peripheral Controls

Of course it goes for every hardware, why wouldn't it? But you rarely need to install software to utilize core functionalities of a MB.
Motherboards don't really do a whole lot without software. I guess they make nice wall art, or you could use them as a serving tray or something. But they do kinda need software of some sort to use even the core functions. Unless you just like looking at LEDs and that blinking "Insert Boot Disc" prompt. It's just that it's expected that someone else is providing that software, be it Microsoft or some Linux distro or what have you.

Yeah, I agree with @David_Schroth. Bring back what you already let go of before trying to introduce something else that can already be done. I've only recently been tinkering with RGB in the last 12 months but my brief moments with 11 are enough to keep me from wanting to move to it. The API seems ok, haven't heard many negatives there, but I don't want to deal with limiting GUI factors. It's already been bad enough with MS moving things around during 10 that I don't want to deal with the crap that simply isn't there or needs alternative methods to find.

. . . .can only wonder what 12 will be. Well, we've only gout around a year+ to go :)

Hardware manufacturers need to provide more RGB-free options. They apparently have a deleterious effect on unicorn health, judging from the number of rainbow vomit references in this thread alone.
Motherboards don't really do a whole lot without software. I guess they make nice wall art, or you could use them as a serving tray or something. But they do kinda need software of some sort to use even the core functions. Unless you just like looking at LEDs and that blinking "Insert Boot Disc" prompt. It's just that it's expected that someone else is providing that software, be it Microsoft or some Linux distro or what have you.
And you need firmware to get that far, which is also definitely software. ;)

Yeah, I agree with @David_Schroth. Bring back what you already let go of before trying to introduce something else that can already be done. I've only recently been tinkering with RGB in the last 12 months but my brief moments with 11 are enough to keep me from wanting to move to it. The API seems ok, haven't heard many negatives there, but I don't want to deal with limiting GUI factors. It's already been bad enough with MS moving things around during 10 that I don't want to deal with the crap that simply isn't there or needs alternative methods to find.
Windows 11 actually tried to auto install on my PC today. I don't know how to keep it away permanently.

Windows 11 actually tried to auto install on my PC today. I don't know how to keep it away permanently.
My wife managed to upgrade from 10 to 11 on her laptop - without intending to do it.

I haven't had that problem on one of my systems, but I've also gotten over the only thing that actually bothers me in Windows 11, that Microsoft failed to re-implement the ability to have taskbar apps unstacked and have the application title listed.

Did you ever see this in Windows Update? https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS560x560~forums/65627994/ef2d7532ca244d12b84a4c80c5aebb67
On PCs where I have seen this, I click "Stay on Windows 10 for now" and then it never bothers me about Win11 again. Or at least, it hasn't thus far.
It came up during boot, not in windows update. I had to click not now / stay on windows 10, about 3 times before it went away, then immediately went to windows update to pause updates, maybe that was unnecessary but I don't want 11 to install while I'm not looking.

Yeah, it's gotten extremely annoying in the last couple of weeks. From our workstations, and tablets/laptops, to my home rigs I'm seeing all sorts of sketchy behavior with the pushes. I've seen it during boot/updates, and notifications on the taskbar, despite me telling it no every time that I can.

Did you ever see this in Windows Update? https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS560x560~forums/65627994/ef2d7532ca244d12b84a4c80c5aebb67
On PCs where I have seen this, I click "Stay on Windows 10 for now" and then it never bothers me about Win11 again. Or at least, it hasn't thus far.
MS has renewed its push in a major way over the last couple of weeks. Over the last two years, I've had multiple machines where I've done this and all it takes is an update or some push from MS to bring it back.

Yeah, it's gotten extremely annoying in the last couple of weeks. From our workstations, and tablets/laptops, to my home rigs I'm seeing all sorts of sketchy behavior with the pushes. I've seen it during boot/updates, and notifications on the taskbar, despite me telling it no every time that I can.

MS has renewed its push in a major way over the last couple of weeks. Over the last two years, I've had multiple machines where I've done this and all it takes is an update or some push from MS to bring it back.
I'm thinking about switching seeing I use alder lake and have some odd stuttering here and there while gaming that should not be there.

Geezus man.

Also I'm curious if anyone else rolls like this:
GPE_Configuring_Automatic_Updates.png
I've never really had any issues with Windows Update on Win10 trying to do sketchy, pushy stuff, or trying to do sh1t without my permission, and I'm wondering if this is one of the reasons why.

I'm thinking about switching seeing I use alder lake...
Yeah unfortunately Win11 is the only Windows OS that has the CPU thread scheduler updates for Alder Lake, Raptor Lake, and Zen 4. Why they won't also bring these updates to Win10 (along with the full-blown version of DirectStorage, updated version of WSL, and a f*cking Dark theme for Task Manager), I have no idea. Yeah they would rather we just move on to their latest-and-not-so-greatest.

^ watch the video I posted above your post, Win11 "thread schedular" nonsense is pure baloney.... btw Alder Lake and Raptor Lake use a hardware thread scheduler in the CPU

^ watch the video I posted above your post, Win11 "thread schedular" nonsense is pure baloney.... btw Alder Lake and Raptor Lake use a hardware thread scheduler in the CPU
Yeah I just saw that. You posted that when I was in the middle of writing my previous post. Very interesting indeed, and good to know.

Now older versions of Win10 might suffer, but if you have the latest 22H2 update on Win10, it's practically the same as Win11 in this regard.

We are still going to keep using Win11 of course, for all CPU and GPU testing, but I think people get too worked up about the OS version, these days, it might have been an issue early on, but now, not so much IMO. Still, testing for us will continue to be done on Win11. We might have a larger argument when it comes to Zen 4 X3D CPUs, and switching between the different CCDs that everyone is concerned about. Zen 4 relies on OS level optimizations for threads in flight, there is no hardware director on board for it, so you have a better argument using Win11 on Zen 3/4/X3D etc...

Become a Patron!
Back