World’s 1st PCIe USB3.2 Card, Meet the Gigabyte GC-USB 3.2 GEN2X2

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
GCUSB3.2GEN2x2-1024x576.jpg

As many around the world were focused on looking for deals GIGABYTE quietly released the world’s 1st USB 3.2 PCIe expansion card. This PCIe x4 card has a USB Type C port providing speeds up to 20GBps. USB 3.2 has launched with a variety of specs and designs here’s what Jackson Hsu, Director of Gigabyte Product Devlopment Division has to say about this card,

” GIGABYTE strives to offer users the most effective solutions at the best value. Since the announcement of the USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 specification, we’ve been focused on developing a simple, effective solution for all users alike, USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 and Thunderbolt™ 3 both use the USB Type-C™ slot but we cater to different needs. After close discussion with many experienced users, we’ve decided that the flagship board will support Thunderbolt™ 3 which delivers up to 40Gb/s transfer speeds while other products can be paired with the GC-USB 3.2 GEN2x2 PCIe Expansion Card to deliver 20Gbps blazing fast USB Type-C™ transfer speeds.”

For those of us with older rigs wanting options for these newer standards this offers a way to keep in the loop. Nice to know that USB 3.0 isn’t the end of the road if you haven’t been able to upgrade to a newer motherboard yet. A price was not announced but it probably will be soon. Evidently the first 100 units have already been sold and more are on the way.

I'm so behind the times. I own exactly one 3.0 USB device, and that's only because the PS4 won't use anything slower for connected storage.

I guess, though, my most "modern" computers are Haswell era. There just hasn't been compelling reasons to really upgrade until recently.

It's probably about time to at least upgrade my external SATA docks and TB2 externals though.

This card only has one ****ing Type-C port?! I remember when buying cards like this would get you at least 4 ports. This card should have a few Type-A ports and more than one Type-C. Although I do not know how much this card costs.
I'm so behind the times. I own exactly one 3.0 USB device, and that's only because the PS4 won't use anything slower for connected storage.

I guess, though, my most "modern" computers are Haswell era. There just hasn't been compelling reasons to really upgrade until recently.

It's probably about time to at least upgrade my external SATA docks and TB2 externals though.
I think it was around 2010 when I got a USB 3.0 external HDD, which came with a USB 3.0 card that I used to add USB 3.0 support to my X58 system. Later I got an external HDD enclosure that is USB 3.0. I also have a few USB 3.0 flash drives (two of them I got for free, thanks MicroCenter!). My X99 Haswell-E system that I built in 2014 has a ****load of USB 3.0 ports. My use of USB 3.0 is mainly limited to those flash drives and the external enclosure though. I really could use a new SD card reader. All the old external ones I have are USB 2.0, and don't even work anymore anyways. The one working one I have left is built into my Dell U2410 monitor, and it's slow as ****.

Oh wait, my Corsair K70 keyboard uses a USB 3.0 plug, mainly for power reasons. It has two USB plugs. You need to plug them both in if you have USB 2.0 ports, but if you have an available USB 3.0 port, then you only need to plug one of them in.

Hmm I have a Corsair Ksomething or another keyboard and it has 2 USB plugs as well, except one is for the keyboard and the other is pass through for the additional USB ports on the keyboard.

Become a Patron!
Back