XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT THICC II Ultra Video Card Review

Thank you FPS Review for the awesome article! I love how the card performs, but for me the power #'s are what turns me away from these AMD cards. Power is VERY expensive where I am, so 100+ watts means a lot over the course of many hours of game-time.

Reactions: _k_
As has been the case with all the Navi cards so far, the overclock improvements just don't justify the insane increase in power consumption. A few percent in frames for 20% in power is just not a good trade off; though I'm sure that there is room to undervolt and get them tamed down some.

Edit: While the voltage difference is moderate, my R VII runs 2025/1200 @ 1.093v and in demanding titles will average 230-250w with some spikes to 260w or so, and in games a little less demanding will do 180-210w average. At stock clocks I can run it at 0.952v and drop the power consumption quite a bit also. I don't know about Navi, but I'm assuming there are at least some savings to be had with undervolting, but it's not something every user knows how to do or is comfortable with doing.

Last edited:
This is an interesting read. I'd also be VERY curious to see what happens with current generation video cards not having sufficient power for full performance? Will they croak and crash or will they throttle down to keep the cards stable?

curious here because I wonder if I need a new power supply to feed by RTX 2080.

This is an interesting read. I'd also be VERY curious to see what happens with current generation video cards not having sufficient power for full performance? Will they croak and crash or will they throttle down to keep the cards stable?

curious here because I wonder if I need a new power supply to feed by RTX 2080.

I would suspect they'd crash, if not throw a driver level warning saying there's insufficient power.

Thing is, if your PSU was being over utilized and couldn't keep up then it'd probably crash the rest of your system too....

There is no question that power is still a problem for AMD. It has to run the 5700 XT so high to get the performance they want, which means high voltage, power draw, despite it being 7nm and a revised architecture, it is still not as efficient as NVIDIA has been able to do with its architectural designs. AMD needs to keep pushing forward in that area, the manufacturing process alone cannot save it, it's a combo of architecture design and process. This is RDNA 1.0 which has been reported to still share some things with the GCN architecture, I think the next version of RDNA (2.0?) will be improved, along with process refinements.

What this XFX card does improveme on though is the thermal situation and noise levels. The reference card is loud and hot, and this custom card improves on that big time.

nice review .. could I steal one of these XFX coolers and slap it on my reference RX 5700XT?

Great review, I had heard other things about this card but I trust the FPS Review staff.

Become a Patron!
Back