XMG Demos World’s First Portable Liquid Laptop Cooling Solution

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xmg-neo-15-laptop-with-oasis-key-visual-1024x576.jpg
Image: XMG

XMG has unveiled what the company claims to be the world’s first portable liquid laptop cooling solution.

Developed as an optional add-on for the company’s upcoming XMG NEO 15 (E22) laptop, the XMG Neo is an external laptop cooling solution that comprises a small enclosure housing a 120 mm radiator with fan, pump, and liquid reservoir. Setup partially involves filling the unit with cooling liquid via a funnel and connecting the device using self-locking, quick-release connectors.

“The current prototype of the external liquid cooling was operated on the pre-production model of an XMG NEO 15 (E22) with Core i7-12700H and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti in the overboost performance profile,” XMG noted in its press release before teasing its potential cooling performance.

“The result: By using the XMG OASIS, the temperatures of the processor...

Continue reading...

As someone who's been using gaming laptops on the side for the last 10 years, I've got some doubts about this. I watched the vid and there are a few things that seem off to me.
1. Top off. There could be a secondary reservoir that fills the main and with sensors/valves could top as needed on its own.
2. Drain. Seems like the same reservoir could include a pump to drain the laptop. As long as the pressure is calibrated from the factory it shouldn't put stress on the tubing.
3. Can the laptop be operated safely without the added radiator? Sure it seems like it should but do we, not they didn't compromise on the air cooling somehow? I know XMG is top-notch but other than temps and DBA there's not a whole lot of mention in the video about that.

Over the course of the summer since getting my latest laptop, an MSI GP66 Leopard, I've been once again wondering about alternative forms of cooling. It's obvious that laptop coolers are nearly useless. Up to 5°C if we're lucky. This thing says up to 20. Not bad but I've wondered about another approach. Having seen all these new desktop beverage coolers why not something that merely pumps air into a closed case that a laptop sits on thus force-feeding legitimately cooled air into the underside intakes? I've already seen the type of coolers I'm talking about but they suck in air from the top backside where most laptops are venting.

Here's an example of a design I've seen used on a few but instead imagine the intake being fed from a refrigeration unit like one of those beverage coolers.
1641528713788.png
1641528949058.png

The size of that thing. I'd rather build a mATX PC. They make some really nice portable gaming monitors now as well.
Portable gaming monitors? Any suggestions?

The lappy seems very niche. Imagine the laptop case?
As Ricochet mentioned, it's be easier to do a lan build than try and afford that monster and lug it around.
I'd hate to take it on a plane.....

Last edited:
With my stuff I'm happy to just live with the laptop and it's compromises on the road but then come home to something that unlocks the fuller potential. I'd definitely never want to travel with all that extra stuff.

Yeah, I think if I were looking to game on a laptop... I just can't see it. What's the advantage of this over, say, a Thunderbolt external GPU enclosure?

I mean, if this is sitting at a desk like a docking station - then why not just have a dedicated PC at the desk? And if you are wanting to game on the go, why would you pack anything that can't fit in a laptop bag?

I guess this could work for some people, but I'm just not one of them.

Asus makes a 17.3" ROG Strix 1080P 240hz portable monitor.
Yeah, I almost bought it for my laptop during the holidays. G-Sync, OLED, and I think HDR400 to boot. Problem was the price. I think that particular one was around $500+ at the time. There was an older model a little cheaper but I didn't want to get anything for over $300 so I held off. I honestly spent a lot of time searching right before the holidays and the biggest discount was around $50. I found some knock-offs but didn't want to take the chance. The other thing is I'd much rather have a 21:9 offering to make the difference worth the price. I have a MSI Optix 21:9 2560x1080, 200 Hz, G-Sync, IPS HDR400, connected to my laptop for gaming in the home office and it's pretty amazing. Something like that for portable could be pretty cool.

The Asus is nice, but it's a bit much for the work lappy, the 5700G, and the RX 480 box. Although as a second monitor for my TR box I am considering it.
I see they have a 15" one that I am investigating

The Asus is nice, but it's a bit much for the work lappy, the 5700G, and the RX 480 box. Although as a second monitor for my TR box I am considering it.
I see they have a 15" one that I am investigating
Yep, that 15" was about $200 cheaper if I remember correctly.

World's first? Didn't MSI or Gigabyte or one of those guys do something like this years ago, with a water cooling loop in a dock?

World's first? Didn't MSI or Gigabyte or one of those guys do something like this years ago, with a water cooling loop in a dock?

2016. Asus doesn't claim it's "portable" though, so that could be the distinction.

Become a Patron!
Back