You Can Now Play Quake II RTX on AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
quake-ii-rtx-environment-1024x576.jpg
Image: id Software

NVIDIA has released a new patch for Quake II RTX that adds support for Vulkan Ray Tracing extensions. What this means is that any graphics card that supports the Vulkan Ray Tracing API, such as AMD’s Radeon RX 6000 Series, can now run the game and enjoy id Software’s classic FPS with modern effects like global illumination and real-time reflectivity.

“Quake II RTX was initially released in June 2019, reimagining the classic game’s graphics with amazing ray-traced lighting, shadows...

Continue reading...

This is legit better than I was expecting from AMD based on Minecraft results.

Dunno if that's because of the extra dynamic visual stuff Minecraft has or not but this is more than adequate to play with the dynamic resolution in Q2

This is legit better than I was expecting from AMD based on Minecraft results.

Dunno if that's because of the extra dynamic visual stuff Minecraft has or not but this is more than adequate to play with the dynamic resolution in Q2
where did you see the minecraft benches?

Man, I forgot all about this game. Yet another to go back to with the new card.

Those MC benches are not kind to RDNA2

May I suggest a DXR article on the 6800 series? I'm curious on how big navi performs on past and current raytracing titles.

May I suggest a DXR article on the 6800 series? I'm curious on how big navi performs on past and current raytracing titles.

A limiting factor is how many of those titles use a ray tracing implementation using dx12 ultimate, and how many use a custom api extension from Nvidia?

A limiting factor is how many of those titles use a ray tracing implementation using dx12 ultimate, and how many use a custom api extension from Nvidia?
There is nothing NVIDIA-specific about DXR. AMD may simply do better with Vulkan's implementation on their hardware. It's not the first time this has happened, only roles were reversed back in the day (NVIDIA did better with OpenGL while ATi did better with DirectX).

There is nothing NVIDIA-specific about DXR. AMD may simply do better with Vulkan's implementation on their hardware. It's not the first time this has happened, only roles were reversed back in the day (NVIDIA did better with OpenGL while ATi did better with DirectX).

It took a while for nvidia to reach parity and then outperform AMD on vulkan. Funny thing is that AMD never got its act together with Ogl. Even today its performance sucks.

BTW afaik, no game uses DX12ultimate features yet. I expect at least current games will update to ultimate.

BTW afaik, no game uses DX12ultimate features yet. I expect at least current games will update to ultimate.
WoW: Shadowlands, DiRT 5, Godfall and Cyberpunk 2077 are all using DirectX 12 Ultimate right now.

Really I did not expect its numbers to be as high as they were. I honestly think AMD did a fairly good job on its RT implementation, although a fairly good job isn't enough to catch NVIDIA.
Its great to see that this title has platform agnostic RT now.

Become a Patron!
Back