Rumor: Disney Removing Star Wars Sequel Trilogy from Canon

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
luke-skywalker-drinking-green-milk-1024x576.jpg
Image: Lucasfilm

Disney’s Star Wars sequels turned out to be such a mess that most fans have coped by pretending they’re fan fiction, but soon, they may not have to. According to YouTube’s Doomcock (via Cosmic Book News), who’s made a bit of a name for himself with Star Wars rumors, Lucasfilm and the house of mouse are considering wiping out The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker from the official canon.

That’s great news for J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson haters, but how could this be done without invalidating and wasting the mountains of sequel-trilogy material (e.g., novels, games, merchandise) that’s been built up over the past few years? Well, the answer evidently lies with the “Veil of the Force” – a...

Continue reading...

I don't think it matters. Most diehard Star Wars fans don't count the last 3 movies as "real" Star Wars movies anyway, me included. It's why I still haven't seen the last Skywalker of whatever it's called.

I hope they don't plan on making 3 more movies that they'll butcher just as bad. Might as well leave worse enough alone. The "magic" of Star Wars is always going to be Lucas' imagination. It is possible to make good Star Wars stories without him (Rogue One, Mandalorian) but they still don't have the magic that the first 6 do so making a Star Wars movie without Lucas' writing or directing or something heavily involved will probably always fall flat.

This ain't happening.... What is happening is this... Us talking about it so that those who want this to happen can hold on to the rumor for the rest of their lives... Will turn into an old wives tale and so on. Otherwise this is a bullshit rumor from a company trying to salvage a 4b investment.

The way I see it... Star wars can exist however they want it to. They don't need to make "Star Wars the apology that other **** never happened we promise." For reference see the 3rd Highlander movie that was the apology for the second Highlander Movie.

The statement about Lucas. They need to let Lucas develop the script, but get someone else to direct it. Did you SEE the job he got out of Portman and whats his name? It was GARBAGE. They need a good director to run the show and let Lucas be the creative and producer but hand over control of the story to a good director. Writer/Directors Rarely make great movies... and I've never seen one make an epic series that really works.

Ok you know who Might be able to make it work? Kevin Smith, or one of his guys like Matt Damon. I bet that crew would pick up the young obi wan character and make some amazing freaking stories.

Short of that it would be a bondage fest with the Wachowski brothers (see Matrix 2 and 3). Another Star Trek Mess with Abrams, or full of jedi force throwing star destroyers and pulling gouts of flames from stars to wipe out fleets at a time if you put it in the hands of Kevin Fergie.

You know a movie I'd like to see... a live action of some jedi struggling to hide from the Imperial hunting squads. Could be several. Some heroic moments and such tied into it. References to the balance of the force being disturbed. Some explanation that the fewer of each side that exist the more extreme the abilities get but using them alerts the other side and so on.... And just some good character progression. What happens when Jedi fall in love... does it have to lead to the downfall of the jedi or do they secret themselves away and forget their past... and so on.

But that would need to be a series of course.

I honestly would have accepted this money hustle more if they tried, failed, and moved on. Instead they are looking to milk the brand again? Bleh not a fan.

If only they'd just flat-out used the Timothy Zahn novels instead of the piecemeal butchering they did to the material after claiming they were jettisoning that canon. At this point any statement they make about removing from canon is honestly a bad joke. It's more like a cop-out so they don't have to admit whose material is being used.

Sad to say it but Star Trek isn't much different at this point. It all depends on whose in charge at the time and that can be changed again down the road. Pick a series and at one point it won't be considered canon only then to have some story element included in another at some random point down the road.

At this point both franchises are more of a cut/paste and throw it at the wall to see what sticks. Seems to be a common theme these days in Hollywood. I was saying something similar in regards to DC and Batman the other day.

Never gonna happen. But will the next movie just ignore what happened before it? Much more likely.

I would figure that most fans don't count the prequels either...

They (we) do. You gotta remember, the prequel hate is something that only became trendy in recent years. Yes everybody hated Jar Jar 21 years ago but for the most part, we loved the movies. They really showed the force to be pretty awesome. In the first 3 movies, the force meant you could move some stuff around if you concentrated really hard but other than that it didn't amount to much. In the prequels, it made the Jedi and Sith basically superheros! The fight scenes were some of the coolest scenes ever put on film. It paid great respect to the first 3 movies and had some of the coolest and best characters ever! Liam Neeson knocked it out of the park as Qui Gon Jin. Ewan MacGregor did an awesome job as Obi Wan. Samuel Jackson was the baddest MF'ing Jedi ever! Christopher Lee as Dooku was a terrific character with his bent hilt lightsaber and regal attitude. And Darth Maul, one of the greatest bad buys in movie history who gets to have one of the all time greatest fight scenes in movies history!

Yes the dialogue was cheesy, it had a lot of plot holes and yes they did over use CGI. However it was still a "Star Wars" story and while not perfect, it was a very good story and fit perfectly in the Star Wars universe. So yeah, the prequels, while maybe not "great movies", were great Star Wars movies.

I myself am a huge fan of the prequels for the reasons mentioned above. Dooku and his badass bent hilt lightsaber, Mace Windu as the baddest mofo of them all, Liam Neeson knocked it out of the park as Qui Gon Jin as did Ewan MacGregor as Obi Wan.

Yes everybody hated Jar Jar 21 years ago but for the most part, we loved the movies.

No. We didn't.

Video from 2009.

https://www.tubefilter.com/2009/12/...-review-explains-why-star-wars-prequels-suck/

Forum posts from 2006 of people complaining about the Prequels.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/who-should-have-directed-the-star-wars-prequels.99643/

I saw the first two in the theater. I remember people complaining about the prequels the day they saw them.

They sucked.

I actually liked the last 3 better than the first 3... but that isn’t saying much, it’s a low bar.

The prequels are not cinematic masterpieces to be sure. But they were better than the Disney trilogy.

I didn't love TFA but it's probably the best of the new 3 which is sad. TLJ and ROS were both just god awful from start to finish

If only they'd just flat-out used the Timothy Zahn novels instead of the piecemeal butchering they did to the material after claiming they were jettisoning that canon. At this point any statement they make about removing from canon is honestly a bad joke. It's more like a cop-out so they don't have to admit whose material is being used.

Sad to say it but Star Trek isn't much different at this point. It all depends on whose in charge at the time and that can be changed again down the road. Pick a series and at one point it won't be considered canon only then to have some story element included in another at some random point down the road.

At this point both franchises are more of a cut/paste and throw it at the wall to see what sticks. Seems to be a common theme these days in Hollywood. I was saying something similar in regards to DC and Batman the other day.

I'm going to disagree with this for a variety of reasons. Many people often say this, but given how much time had passed since the original trilogy was filmed, it simply wasn't possible without recasting everyone. Beyond that, there are several story issues and problems with canon that arise from using that story without heavy rewrites. The biggest problem with it is that the end of the Last Command is anticlimactic at best. It almost comes off as fan fiction. The series is solid as a whole, but that last novel really falters at the end. There are also issues with the villain, and I'm not talking about Grand Admiral Thrawn.

That said, from what I've heard from the rumor, and given some of the sources have good track records I think this is happening. There are two schools of thought on the rumors and what form that will take

. 1.) It will be swept away quickly by some other material using the Veil of the Force concept introduced in Rebels Season 3. What medium this will happen in and how well publicized this will be isn't clear.

2.) It won't be swept away one day really quickly or with massive fanfare. It's believed that Disney is going to set all future material before The Force Awakens and if their new directions with the Mandalorian and other projects are ultimately successful, you will see them slowly contradict and invalidate the sequel trilogy until it's totally incompatible. Eventually, the sequel trilogy will probably be re-branded quietly as Star Wars "Legends." In the meantime, they'll ignore the sequel trilogy entirely. I think there will still be some sort of in-universe Veil of the Force stuff to explain this, but it may be done in a lesser known format, such as in a comic or animation.

There is supposedly a plan to create a Star Wars multi-verse as other franchises have done, which will be the necessary explanation for how the sequel trilogy gets cleared off the board. Supposedly, the seeds of this have already been planted via Episode 9. To be frank, Disney paid a massive sum for Lucasfilm and it's not been nearly as successful as hoped. The merchandise isn't selling but as Disney found out, there is a market for merchandise if they can produce material the fans actually like. The Clone Wars Season 7, The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order were all well received.

It isn't franchise fatigue or any BS like that which is killing Star Wars. People like Kathleen Kennedy and Rian "Roundhead" Johnson do not give two squirts of piss about Star Wars. They wanted to use it as a vanity project and as a form of evangelism to sell people on whatever message they felt like peddling. They chose to alienate the fans in order to broaden its appeal, and this failed entirely. The audience they wanted to bring into the fold aren't the people that spend the money on merchandise and they aren't invested in the brand in the first place. Disney only cares about making money, and they bought a huge cash cow to do it. Unfortunately, the milk that cow is producing isn't palatable to the fans that have been consuming it for decades. It turns out, new people that stepped up to try it don't care for it either.

Disney has a long way to go to repair the bridge between themselves and fans. Invalidating the sequel trilogy may not be necessary entirely, but it will go a long way towards winning the fans back and it will help from a creative standpoint moving forward.

It isn't franchise fatigue or any BS like that which is killing Star Wars. People like Kathleen Kennedy and Rian "Roundhead" Johnson do not give two squirts of piss about Star Wars. They wanted to use it as a vanity project and as a form of evangelism to sell people on whatever message they felt like peddling.

Well put. Just not even going to try and counter it because I see your points and agree. In regards what I'm quoting from you it reminds me of something. A part of our backyard has a section with many different breeds of ants. Probably a half dozen in a 6x6 area. Most days they get along pretty well each other. Knock over enough of the different piles on top of the ground and they all go to war with each other. Kathleen and Rian did a great job of that among the fans with this trilogy. There's always been divisiveness with the fans when it comes to favorites but those two managed to escalate it to another level as well. Not overly thrilled with JJ but I was able to find some enjoyment with his two ventures. TLJ, however, just plain hurts to watch. I mean, I actually get a headache when I try anymore. I keep trying to imagine how all three could potentially be re-edited down to two hour movies of some sort.

For what its worth, GFR has an ongoing story/thread about how Favreau might be taking over as the head of SW/Disney. Evidently there's some splitting of the ways going on at camp Disney, but this could all be rumors to. I've heard rumors about Feige as well but Favreau seems more likely.

Become a Patron!
Back