NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition Review

Nice review and the card looks nice too. The only issue I have is the performance is a bit lower than it could be due to the use of the 3700X system. I know AMD gives you PCIe 4.0, but it lags about 7-8% (3900XT does) from the Intel CPU's. A dual test setup would be nice.

Nice review and the card looks nice too. The only issue I have is the performance is a bit lower than it could be due to the use of the 3700X system. I know AMD gives you PCIe 4.0, but it lags about 7-8% (3900XT does) from the Intel CPU's. A dual test setup would be nice.

[/URL]
AMD still lags a bit in IPC compared to Intel, so in resolutions that are more CPU-dependent like 1920x1080 you're going to see a big difference. The more the GPU struggles, the more that difference disappears. It's practically non-existent at 4K.

AMD still lags a bit in IPC compared to Intel, so in resolutions that are more CPU-dependent like 1920x1080 you're going to see a big difference. The more the GPU struggles, the more that difference disappears. It's practically non-existent at 4K.

I thought in the current generation that IPC lead was actually on the Ryzen CPU's side.

At least according to this techspot article..

https://www.techspot.com/article/1876-4ghz-ryzen-3rd-gen-vs-core-i9/

Not saying it's a huge difference though Intel does lead still in raw GHZ throughput.

I thought in the current generation that IPC lead was actually on the Ryzen CPU's side.

At least according to this techspot article..

https://www.techspot.com/article/1876-4ghz-ryzen-3rd-gen-vs-core-i9/

Not saying it's a huge difference though Intel does lead still in raw GHZ throughput.
In the context of gaming, which is what we're talking about with the 3080, It is still Intel. This is at 1280x720, so basically as much CPU dependence as you can get on a modern game. No question that Ryzen is better in other types of applications, especially multithreaded ones.

1600277392488.png

I just hope my 650W PSU can hadle it, it's a seasonic titanium one, otherwise I will need to swap in the 850 from my X299

In the context of gaming, which is what we're talking about with the 3080, It is still Intel. This is at 1280x720, so basically as much CPU dependence as you can get on a modern game. No question that Ryzen is better in other types of applications, especially multithreaded ones.

View attachment 429
To compare IPC you'd have to lock both cpus to the same clocks. This just tells us that a higher clocked cpu is faster.

To compare IPC you'd have to lock both cpus to the same clocks. This just tells us that a higher clocked cpu is faster.
Yes, that is true. But to the consumer, how the product performs out of the box is the most important metric.

The indepth review I've been looking for! Thanks for making it pretty straight forward and easy to understand even for a newbie such as myself.

Based on Microsoft FS performance, I'm really hoping MS does continue to optimize the game's performance. Until then, here's hoping the new architecture from AMD improves things a bit. Otherwise I'm going to have to start selling blood to buy a Threadripper!

The indepth review I've been looking for! Thanks for making it pretty straight forward and easy to understand even for a newbie such as myself.

Based on Microsoft FS performance, I'm really hoping MS does continue to optimize the game's performance. Until then, here's hoping the new architecture from AMD improves things a bit. Otherwise I'm going to have to start selling blood to buy a Threadripper!

M$ has always developed new releases of Flight Sim to be ahead of current GPU performance levels. It's by design. So the game has plenty of room to grow over many years. FSX was the same way, as was FS98,

You're in luck! New patch released today addresses CPU performance impact by preventing interruption of rendering threads, among other things.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/patch-version-1-8-3-0-is-now-available/

Yeah, it's time to hand down the 980Ti to the kids computer and get a 3080...if I can manage to actually place an order before they go OoS.

Become a Patron!
Back