CORSAIR MP600 M.2 SSD PCIE 4.0

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member

It'll be awhile before I can afford to jump in on this but I'll happily watch from the sidelines when the real world tests happen. Hold on tight folk's it's gonna be a fast ride.

Rumors are around $250 for 1TB and $450 for 2TB.

"The CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD provides extreme storage performance, using Gen4 PCIe technology to achieve blazing fast sequential read speeds of up to 4,950MB/s and sequential write speeds of up to 4,250MB/s. "

I thought so too. I've heard thru the grapevine that fast speed ssd's generate a bit of heat and it looks like they're not messing around with that heat sink.
Not like I look at a ton of these drives, but this is the first I've seen to be sporting any cooling apparatus whatsoever.

I'm long over due for a new build and I fully intend to incorporate this bad boy.

this is the first I've seen to be sporting any cooling apparatus whatsoever

I can't remember if it was Gigabyte or Asus but someone made a card that looks like a GPU but is actually just an PCIe adapter for multiple SSDs or raid. It looks so much like a GPU that it even has a cooling fan(s). I remember reading the review and the tester unplugged or disabled the fan and quite a bit of heat gathered in the case. They re-enabled the fan and everything was fine. Temps are definitely going to be an issue with fast ssd tech.

The upcoming PCIE-4 Phison E16 and E19 based SSDs should set a new price/performance standard.
This is what I am waiting for.

The upcoming PCIE-4 Phison E16 and E19 based SSDs should set a new price/performance standard.
This is what I am waiting for.
These will use the E16. From Corsair's site, "Easily fitting into a PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 slot, the MP600’s NVMe interface and high-density 3D TLC NAND combine with a Phison PS5016-E16 controller to enable a new level of single-drive SSD performance."

My bad, I wrote a bit more but deleted it when making it easier to read. I meant from companies like Inland etc.
Their current PCIE 3.0 E12 1TB drives retail for around $100 and are not far off the speed of the Samsung 970 Evo plus at less than 1/2 the price!
I wasnt aware Corsair are also basing new drives on the E16, thanks for pointing that out. It will be interesting to see if they compete on price.

My bad, I wrote a bit more but deleted it when making it easier to read. I meant from companies like Inland etc.
Their current PCIE 3.0 E12 1TB drives retail for around $100 and are not far off the speed of the Samsung 970 Evo plus at less than 1/2 the price!
I wasnt aware Corsair are also basing new drives on the E16, thanks for pointing that out. It will be interesting to see if they compete on price.

I'm a short drive from a couple microcenters, so once they show up, I'll go buy them to test.

Nice. Just got a WD Black so not looking to get anything else for a while.

The specs sound pretty amazing. I just don't wanna spend $500 on a new motherboard :(
Same boat here. Prices for TR are already dropping but now I've got to take things like into consideration before planning that next build.

I was meaning for x570 boards to get gen 4

Indeed. PCI-Express 4.0 is only available on X570 motherboards right now leaving no alternatives for getting the most out of a storage solution like Corsair's MP600 drives.

My other concern with these drives is longevity. I've killed every Corsair SSD I've ever tested in short order.

Indeed. PCI-Express 4.0 is only available on X570 motherboards right now leaving no alternatives for getting the most out of a storage solution like Corsair's MP600 drives.

My other concern with these drives is longevity. I've killed every Corsair SSD I've ever tested in short order.

I've purchased exactly three SSD's since they first hit mainstream. A pair of first gen PNY XLR8 120GB SSD's and a 950 Pro 256GB. The PNY's have been great. One is still going strong, the other just gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago. The 950 is still going strong, of course.
I forgot about the SM961 256 I bought a few weeks ago. Put one in the server and one in my gaming laptop.

Become a Patron!
Back