XFX Radeon RX 5500 XT THICC II Pro 4GB Review

Eduardo_Domingot

{NG}Fidel
Staff member

Introduction

On today’s testbed, we have the XFX Radeon RX 5500 XT THICC II Pro (RX-55XT4DFD6) in the 4GB variety. This GPU, like all 5500 XT GPUs, comes in an 8GB variant, but performance is largely the same between the 4GB and 8GB models. This is largely due to running out of GPU muscle the moment you actually need to use the full set of video memory. This makes the 4GB models a little bit more attractive in my eyes, as they are priced more reasonable in comparison. The natural competition in this price range ($169-$200) is the 1650 Super from NVIDIA. In this review, we will be using the...

Continue reading...

Congratulations on your first Review here! I enjoyed it, although the product had no relevance to me and my use-cases.

Hopefully they toss you more "real" hardware to crunch down the #'s for!

Good read. I happen to be looking out for a decent 1080/1440 card, this one may not quite be it, but there's still room for reviews on budget hardware out there - even if it's not the sexiest hardware.

Let’s face it, you are here because you are looking to buy a Radeon RX 5500 XT 4GB based video card and just trying to find the best one for your needs.....

If you are on the prowl for a Radeon RX 5500 XT GPU based video card, give the XFX Radeon RX 5500 XT THICC II Pro some attention.

So this isn't a recommended budget card in general? This sounds like a polite way of saying you don't really recommend this over, say, the 1650, even though in these paragraphs that you mention it's generally faster than a 1650.

I'm reading the article because I'm interested in a <$200 solution right now, and the 5500 happens to fit that bill.

And if the purpose of the review was to find the best 5500XT, well, you're only looking at one of several SKUs..

Just a small thing that got my attention - not trying to bust balls. Good writeup overall!

but there's still room for reviews on budget hardware out there - even if it's not the sexiest hardware.

I totally agree. Many people look to the budget side of hardware (me included at times). Many can't afford the bigger, faster, more top end hardware and look for reviews on the budget parts. Sometimes budget parts can be an issue to find decent reviews on.

As mentioned above @Eduardo_Domingot , congrats on the first review!!! Great write-up and review man!!!!!

Good read. I happen to be looking out for a decent 1080/1440 card, this one may not quite be it, but there's still room for reviews on budget hardware out there - even if it's not the sexiest hardware.

So this isn't a recommended budget card in general? This sounds like a polite way of saying you don't really recommend this over, say, the 1650, even though in these paragraphs that you mention it's generally faster than a 1650.

I'm reading the article because I'm interested in a <$200 solution right now, and the 5500 happens to fit that bill.

And if the purpose of the review was to find the best 5500XT, well, you're only looking at one of several SKUs..

Just a small thing that got my attention - not trying to bust balls. Good writeup overall!

It's both. It is recommended as a budget card, and itis also true many people are reading the review because they are looking specifically at the 5500 XT as their budget card and trying to find a good one. After all, many people will be waiting to see what budget RDNA2 brings. So the people looking for a card now, are here to see if this is a good 5500 XT worth buying.

The 1650 does also exist below $200 and also fits that bill though. So just cause you are looking for a sub-200 card doesn't restrain you to just the 5500 XT as an option. I think you might be getting caught up in semantics a bit. The testing and conclusion stand pretty solid. If you want a 5500 XT here's a good one, and also if you are looking under 200 the 5500 XT is a good option.

If you are here its because you are interested in a 5500 XT, otherwise you are probably waiting for the next gen.

I miss the simpler times when I gamed @1080p so I could consider sub $250 cards

But since I switched to 4k I just can't go back. So I'll have to spend at least twice that for a RTX3070 as a bare minimum.

Given that both vendors are releasing brand new GPUs in November, this is a little late to the party.....like the only ones left at the party are the clean-up crew.
Nice article, neutral conclusion,nice pictures.
I guess you need to review older GPUs because there's no new stock to buy otherwise......

Given that both vendors are releasing brand new GPUs in November, this is a little late to the party.....like the only ones left at the party are the clean-up crew.
Nice article, neutral conclusion,nice pictures.
I guess you need to review older GPUs because there's no new stock to buy otherwise......

They aren't replaced just yet and depending on how long NVIDIA and AMD take to replace the lower-end, it could be months. Therefore people still looking for this price range, or this specific GPU, here you go. :) Until they are replaced, I would expect more reviews.

They aren't replaced just yet and depending on how long NVIDIA and AMD take to replace the lower-end, it could be months. Therefore people still looking for this price range, or this specific GPU, here you go. :) Until they are replaced, I would expect more reviews.
Here's an addendum: simply look at Polaris cards, they are still out there. I bought an RX570 earlier this year to replace my ancient HD5770 simply because it was still a decent enough card and I was able to get it for $120. My preference would have been for a 5500XT simply because of the newer architecture but I was severely restrained with regards to price.

Once you get to the price point of cards such as this, the price becomes a larger factor than performance. This is the penny pinching tier but also a high volume tier so you must have a card in this area to get those sales. It's also the tier which tends to get the fewest upgrades or refreshes simply because the margins are so low. New cards are coming out at the high end and maybe in a couple of months we might see some midrange cards but we still have no idea when new low end cards will appear or even if they will appear. Both companies may not even bother to move the new architectures into this low tier leaving the current offerings as the only offerings.

This means the review is anything but too late much less useless. There are no indications at this time there are any imminent replacements for these cards.

Thank you to everyone for the input, I appreciate all of it.
Brian _B, the reply from Brent basically nailed my reply. As others have started these GPUs are still relevant to buyers seeing as no replacement has come out.

Thank you to everyone for the input, I appreciate all of it.
Brian _B, the reply from Brent basically nailed my reply. As others have started these GPUs are still relevant to buyers seeing as no replacement has come out.

To pile on here, the 5500 XT shipped months after the "flagship" of its line. At this point, the next gen "flagship" has not launched yet, so I'd say this card is relevant for at least 6+ months, minimum, just as the 16x0 series is from NVIDIA. If you're buying a card between now and then at the $200 price point, you're looking at the 5500 XT and GTX 1650 Super.

To pile on here, the 5500 XT shipped months after the "flagship" of its line. At this point, the next gen "flagship" has not launched yet, so I'd say this card is relevant for at least 6+ months, minimum, just as the 16x0 series is from NVIDIA. If you're buying a card between now and then at the $200 price point, you're looking at the 5500 XT and GTX 1650 Super.

I concur, I think nvidia will go as "low" as a RTX3060 and may not even have a lower end RTX card. The 16xx replacement will probably have tensor cores to take advantage of DLSS but no RT cores.

AMD could just keep the RX5700 and lower its price. Maybe even rebrand as RX6500

Become a Patron!
Back