Monitor Prices Might Be Going Up Due to LCD Display Shortage Worsened by Earthquakes, Power Outages

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
acer-predator-x25-monitor-1024x576.jpg
Image: Acer

Ready to pay even more for that overpriced gaming monitor? Following reports of a general display shortage stemming from surging demand, DigiTimes has revealed that major LCD panel manufacturer AUO was struck by an earthquake in Taiwan last week, which crippled some of its production lines and reduced output significantly.

Coincidentally, Japan’s Nippon Electric Glass (NEG) suffered from a power outrage affecting its supply of glass substrates, an integral component of LCD displays. While both companies are busy assessing the damages, this seems to be a clear recipe for increased monitor pricing.

“The shortage of LCD panels has worsened after a strong earthquake struck northeastern Taiwan and a power outage hit glass substate supplier Nippon Electric Glass (NEG) in Japan recently, according to...

Continue reading...

Makes me glad I don't need to upgrade. What I want either doesn't exist, or can't be had, or already cost too much even before this.
Yeah I want to upgrade but the product I want doesn't exist. At least it doesn't exist to my knowledge and if it does it costs an arm and a leg.
I want Dolby Vision HDR, 4K, 240Hz, and USB C Video/Power Delivery.
I would be totally willing to drop to 144Hz, but the rest I will not negotiate on.

Yeah I want to upgrade but the product I want doesn't exist. At least it doesn't exist to my knowledge and if it does it costs an arm and a leg.
I want Dolby Vision HDR, 4K, 240Hz, and USB C Video/Power Delivery.
I would be totally willing to drop to 144Hz, but the rest I will not negotiate on.

Those are weird requirements. USB ports are never a factor in my decision to buy a monitor or not. I don't even think about them to be honest. As long as its got some I'm good. All important things being equal, that might sway me if I needed a tie breaker, but otherwise I couldn't give two squirts of piss about that. About the best you can achieve in the 4K real is 4K, HDR1000, 120Hz w/G-Sync, 144Hz without G-Sync.

4K beyond 144Hz is technically not possible at present. Hell, 4K beyond 120Hz requires a second DisplayPort cable and you have to drop G-Sync to use it. 24Hz really isn't that big a deal to me. I'm good with 120Hz. Beyond that, unless you run games in potato mode you won't be achieving 240FPS at 4K in any modern game. Hell, without an RTX 3080 or 3090, you won't be cracking 60FPS consistently in some games at 4K.

USB ports are never a factor in my decision to buy a monitor or not. I don't even think about them to be honest.
Well, USB C display/power delivery is a bit different than just standard run of the mill USB hub that's built into most monitors. That's a video input all in itself.

It is very nice for hooking up laptops and many mobile devices.

I'm with @Eduardo_Domingot -- the monitor I want doesn't exist yet. I have somewhat different requirements, but still. If I could get a LG CX in 32" I'd just about have my ideal though.

Makes me glad I don't need to upgrade. What I want either doesn't exist, or can't be had, or already cost too much even before this.
That's pretty much where I'm at as well. I did get this "budget" 32" earlier this year because what I want would run me $4k+. It's really hard to find that perfect do-it-all monitor, and I really don't want to have multiple monitors, each for a different task. And with the costs going up? Forget it... I hope I can get a few solid years from this LG before colors start to fade away or it develops a burn in image like my last LG.

Well sucks to be me then, I been looking around for a new monitor, was thinking 21:9 iso 16:9, 144hz, HDR, 1440p or 2160

Been browsing trough rtings but there are always some (major) flaws in most models that keep me from making the jump

Well, USB C display/power delivery is a bit different than just standard run of the mill USB hub that's built into most monitors. That's a video input all in itself.

It is very nice for hooking up laptops and many mobile devices.

I'm with @Eduardo_Domingot -- the monitor I want doesn't exist yet. I have somewhat different requirements, but still. If I could get a LG CX in 32" I'd just about have my ideal though.

I just picked up the 43" ACER Predator. It gave me G-Sync, 4K, 120Hz, and HDR support. That was basically all I was looking for. I'd been waiting for this or the ASUS to come out for some time. I found a decent deal on this one and snagged it. I don't care about USB ports, or any of that. I wouldn't use any of those features even if I had them.

Those are weird requirements. USB ports are never a factor in my decision to buy a monitor or not. I don't even think about them to be honest. As long as its got some I'm good. All important things being equal, that might sway me if I needed a tie breaker, but otherwise I couldn't give two squirts of piss about that. About the best you can achieve in the 4K real is 4K, HDR1000, 120Hz w/G-Sync, 144Hz without G-Sync.

4K beyond 144Hz is technically not possible at present. Hell, 4K beyond 120Hz requires a second DisplayPort cable and you have to drop G-Sync to use it. 24Hz really isn't that big a deal to me. I'm good with 120Hz. Beyond that, unless you run games in potato mode you won't be achieving 240FPS at 4K in any modern game. Hell, without an RTX 3080 or 3090, you won't be cracking 60FPS consistently in some games at 4K.

I am looking a long way in the distance here regarding refresh rate mainly because I don't expect anything reasonable in terms of price or features for a long time. I also don't buy monitors for what's technically possible now.

And I have to add I play a few old titles as well, Morrowind with all the texture mods!

Let's say they dropped this fantasy monitor of mine tomorrow for 599, I would be in line to pick it up on launch day even though I wouldn't be fully utilizing it. It's not like refresh rate can't be adjusted or even resolution for that matter. It's also why I am considering a 2K with more features to hold me down until I can see more of what I want in a 4K monitor, because you cannot find all of those things together, and when you get close to that feature set its costs a lot.

As for USB ports, to each their own here. They are clearly used by a large amount of people and I happen to be one. Having that ease of access as well as the ability to use either of my laptops with the display and without the charger when doing other work is something I enjoy.

I am looking a long way in the distance here regarding refresh rate mainly because I don't expect anything reasonable in terms of price or features for a long time. I also don't buy monitors for what's technically possible now.

While you can buy monitors with some future proofing in mind to some extent, you really have to buy what's available now. Unfortunately, every monitor you could choose will have some sort of trade off. It's unavoidable right now. There is a long list of things I'd want if I was just dreaming up fantasy displays but that's not how it works. I've used various stop gaps until 4K displays began offering 120Hz, G-Sync and came in a size I'd actually want. I've always preferred larger format displays.

Let's say they dropped this fantasy monitor of mine tomorrow for 599, I would be in line to pick it up on launch day even though I wouldn't be fully utilizing it. It's not like refresh rate can't be adjusted or even resolution for that matter. It's also why I am considering a 2K with more features to hold me down until I can see more of what I want in a 4K monitor, because you cannot find all of those things together, and when you get close to that feature set its costs a lot.

Well, the 240Hz stuff is almost all 1080P which I consider largely unacceptable. Primarily because the sizes available are too small and even if you could go larger than 27" on a 1080P monitor, I wouldn't want to. That would be like gaming through a screen door. As I said, 4K can't be done at 240Hz because there isn't enough bandwidth in the DisplayPort standards to allow for that. The 144Hz 4K options like my Acer require using two DisplayPort cables. Even if you could achieve a 240Hz result using that same setup, you'd sacrifice variable refresh rate support to get it.

As for USB ports, to each their own here. They are clearly used by a large amount of people and I happen to be one. Having that ease of access as well as the ability to use either of my laptops with the display and without the charger when doing other work is something I enjoy.

Fair enough.

As for USB ports, to each their own here.
I used to be one of those who didn't care one way or another. However, once I got the CRG9 that rig's setup changed a bit. That rig is in a living room around 8-10 feet away from the desk that I use to game and work on. It dawned on me during the summer that I could use those ports to charge my wireless/BT keyboard/mouse along with a soundbar. This setup allowed me really get a handle on cable management(only 2 on the floor, power, and DP). Now I get it.

While you can buy monitors with some future proofing in mind to some extent, you really have to buy what's available now. Unfortunately, every monitor you could choose will have some sort of trade off. It's unavoidable right now. There is a long list of things I'd want if I was just dreaming up fantasy displays but that's not how it works. I've used various stop gaps until 4K displays began offering 120Hz, G-Sync and came in a size I'd actually want. I've always preferred larger format displays.

As I said, 4K can't be done at 240Hz because there isn't enough bandwidth in the DisplayPort standards to allow for that. The 144Hz 4K options like my Acer require using two DisplayPort cables. Even if you could achieve a 240Hz result using that same setup, you'd sacrifice variable refresh rate support to get it.
If I was buying now I would agree with you, but I am waiting because every time I look at monitors online I feel I am compromising in some way that I just do not find acceptable.

I agree that you cant find monitors, such as the one I described, on the current market. If I made it sound like a current product then I apologize. Its simply what I want in a monitor. Lets just call it the No Compromise Monitor, because I am tired of compromising with display panels.

This is the problem. It's just not realistic. By the time what you want gets close to being made, you'll probably want something better.
I have lesser expectations with monitors Dan.
I get what you are saying but this next monitor is not my first and will not be my last.
Its just the current feature set of true HDR, High Hz (240) and 4K that I like and want. Oh almost forgot USB C PD!
Something better will come after that (8K jazz) and I won't be interested in that for quite a long while (4-5 years I imagine)

Gea today you might need a port replicator to get more of what you want. 240hz qt 4k seems.. a very large stretch but good for you. It has to come.

Gea today you might need a port replicator to get more of what you want. 240hz qt 4k seems.. a very large stretch but good for you. It has to come.
I haven’t looked (for that) because it doesn’t exist as Dan’s said. It’s just what I want.
Will I grab a 4k 144 with HDR and USB C PD if it gets to a cheap enough price? Yes, but as of right now they all seem too expensive or limited in one way or another.
HDR is a big one I don’t want to regret not having and that’s kind of tough to get right at a good price. I want that nice Dolby HDR as well and we all know how much that can add to the price.

Become a Patron!
Back