Open-World Star Wars Game in Development by Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment (The Division)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-wars-ubisoft-massive-lucasfilm-games-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Lucasfilm

Ubisoft and Lucasfilm Games have announced that a new story-driven, open-world Star Wars game is in development by the studio that gave us The Division and The Division 2, Massive Entertainment. There aren’t a lot of details about the game at the moment, but we do know that it’ll be powered by the studio’s cutting-edge Snowdrop engine, which enables huge, beautifully rendered environments.

“The vast Star Wars lore is an incredible source of inspiration for our teams,” said co-founder and CEO of Ubisoft Yves Guillemot. “This is the beginning of a long-term collaboration with Disney and Lucasfilm Games, and we are pleased to be working hand-in-hand to build upon the incredible legacy of Lucasfilm to create a game that we know Star Wars fans will love.”

“This is a lore...

Continue reading...

Will it have Denuvo and require UPlay or whatever they call their launcher now?

It's gotten to the point now that when I see "open world" in an announcement that I involuntarily sigh and roll my eyes. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the attitude in the "AAA" industry that everything needs to be open world. The only reason for them to make an open world game is to monetize it, but given the Battlefront II fiasco I thankfully don't think that will happen in this case.
Will it have Denuvo and require UPlay or whatever they call their launcher now?
All of their PC games have required UPlay since 2012.

It's gotten to the point now that when I see "open world" in an announcement that I involuntarily sigh and roll my eyes. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the attitude in the "AAA" industry that everything needs to be open world. The only reason for them to make an open world game is to monetize it, but given the Battlefront II fiasco I thankfully don't think that will happen in this case.

Star Wars works best when you have a tight narrative. Something structured a bit like Mass Effect Andromeda could work, but open world games always suffer from the same problems. A lack of narrative focus and pacing issues due to the way that people tend to play them. Hit an area, do everything and move on. This open, non-linear gameplay often negatively impacts story as it removes a sense of urgency from the narrative. Side quests can bog the game down and really impact pacing.

That being said, Ubisoft is generally pretty good at open world games. We just don't have enough information right now to make any predictions about the game and the developers choices concerning it.

Star Wars works best when you have a tight narrative. Something structured a bit like Mass Effect Andromeda could work, but open world games always suffer from the same problems. A lack of narrative focus and pacing issues due to the way that people tend to play them. Hit an area, do everything and move on. This open, non-linear gameplay often negatively impacts story as it removes a sense of urgency from the narrative. Side quests can bog the game down and really impact pacing.

That being said, Ubisoft is generally pretty good at open world games. We just don't have enough information right now to make any predictions about the game and the developers choices concerning it.
Massive has done an excellent job with The Division, so I'm sure they'll be able to make something good with the Star Wars license. It's just unfortunate that we will be waiting a long time to see it since the exclusivity deal with EA still doesn't expire until 2023.

I'll wait and see how this plays out but it might be enough to get me to reinstall their stuff again. Otherwise, it'd be nice if I could link to GOG Galaxy like Epic.

I'll wait and see how this plays out but it might be enough to get me to reinstall their stuff again. Otherwise, it'd be nice if I could link to GOG Galaxy like Epic.
You can link UPlay through GOG Connect, but it is not working at the moment since Ubisoft changed it to Ubisoft Connect. I don't know when it will be updated.

Massive has done an excellent job with The Division, so I'm sure they'll be able to make something good with the Star Wars license. It's just unfortunate that we will be waiting a long time to see it since the exclusivity deal with EA still doesn't expire until 2023.

Eh, the Division games never did it for me. But, they are popular so they have to be doing something right.

You can link UPlay through GOG Connect, but it is not working at the moment since Ubisoft changed it to Ubisoft Connect. I don't know when it will be updated.
Yeah, I was ready something to that effect this morning. Someday I'll get back to AC 4 and finish it. LOL! I stopped playing sometime around when I had to make a new account again for Ubi and just got sick of the hoops I had to go through to play games I owned.

The only Ubi game I've played in the last decade was Stick of Truth. I bought it on Steam well after launch and it did not require UPlay. Could be an exception.

I've played most of the assassins creed games. It works for my ocd nature and I just gotta get everything done. Lol

I generally agree but it also depends on the story and narrative being told. If it's the typical you have been chosen to save the galaxy from an imminent threat storyline then an open world game isn't going to work well. If they decide to do something a little different which doesn't need to be done by the time the ticking counter reaches zero it could work out really well.

Something I would have loved in the two KOTOR games was more area to explore and things to find. Maybe some new lightsaber part or piece of forgotten armor laying around. Maybe some extra exploration of ruins and expanded lore and storylines.

Making a game which is more focused on a journey rather than a race to the end isn't necessarily difficult and a type of game suited to an open world format. That doesn't mean you can't have suspense and race to the end missions/quests but they won't be the focus of the meat of the game. It can also be managed in a way that the journey doesn't need to feel rushed but at the same time the character is moving steadily towards a goal which isn't obvious in specifics for most of the game.

I generally agree but it also depends on the story and narrative being told. If it's the typical you have been chosen to save the galaxy from an imminent threat storyline then an open world game isn't going to work well. If they decide to do something a little different which doesn't need to be done by the time the ticking counter reaches zero it could work out really well.

Something I would have loved in the two KOTOR games was more area to explore and things to find. Maybe some new lightsaber part or piece of forgotten armor laying around. Maybe some extra exploration of ruins and expanded lore and storylines.

Making a game which is more focused on a journey rather than a race to the end isn't necessarily difficult and a type of game suited to an open world format. That doesn't mean you can't have suspense and race to the end missions/quests but they won't be the focus of the meat of the game. It can also be managed in a way that the journey doesn't need to feel rushed but at the same time the character is moving steadily towards a goal which isn't obvious in specifics for most of the game.

Make it more about solving a mystery without a clear line to completion rather than making sure you finish before event x happens. Then when you DO eventually accomplish the main task you learn that you saved the galaxy in the Nick of time. Or put a "clock" on it only at the end.

Be a lot cooler if Blizzard made one like World of Star Wars. MMO style similar to WoW.

Lost me at division. There are bad games, good games, mediocre games, but only the division can claim that I literally hate everything about it.

I didn't like SWTOR. It felt....hollow.

That's because it is hollow. The class stories are interesting but that's about it. There's no real exploration and I rarely ever got a feeling that I was even on another planet with how small all the areas were. In theory, being able to go from planet to planet is interesting but everything was made so straight line themepark and limited that any feel of expansiveness was killed.

In theory, being able to go from planet to planet is interesting but everything was made so straight line themepark and limited that any feel of expansiveness was killed.

I doubt that for this game they are going to make 5+ huge planets you can roam around, most open world games tend to stick to one city/island.

I did like swtor because the story was a lot clearer then it was in vanilla wow, gameplay was similar, but yeah, less exploration, but again that's the downside of doing different planets, it's easier imo to do continents like wow or other mmo's tend to do.

Become a Patron!
Back