Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Image: Lucasfilm

Ubisoft and Lucasfilm Games have announced that a new story-driven, open-world Star Wars game is in development by the studio that gave us The Division and The Division 2, Massive Entertainment. There aren’t a lot of details about the game at the moment, but we do know that it’ll be powered by the studio’s cutting-edge Snowdrop engine, which enables huge, beautifully rendered environments.

“The vast Star Wars lore is an incredible source of inspiration for our teams,” said co-founder and CEO of Ubisoft Yves Guillemot. “This is the beginning of a long-term collaboration with Disney and Lucasfilm Games, and we are pleased to be working hand-in-hand to build upon the incredible legacy of Lucasfilm to create a game that we know Star Wars fans will love.”

“This is a lore...
Continue reading...

Armenius

FPS Regular
It's gotten to the point now that when I see "open world" in an announcement that I involuntarily sigh and roll my eyes. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the attitude in the "AAA" industry that everything needs to be open world. The only reason for them to make an open world game is to monetize it, but given the Battlefront II fiasco I thankfully don't think that will happen in this case.
Will it have Denuvo and require UPlay or whatever they call their launcher now?
All of their PC games have required UPlay since 2012.

Dan_D

Administrator
Staff member
It's gotten to the point now that when I see "open world" in an announcement that I involuntarily sigh and roll my eyes. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the attitude in the "AAA" industry that everything needs to be open world. The only reason for them to make an open world game is to monetize it, but given the Battlefront II fiasco I thankfully don't think that will happen in this case.

All of their PC games have required UPlay since 2012.
Star Wars works best when you have a tight narrative. Something structured a bit like Mass Effect Andromeda could work, but open world games always suffer from the same problems. A lack of narrative focus and pacing issues due to the way that people tend to play them. Hit an area, do everything and move on. This open, non-linear gameplay often negatively impacts story as it removes a sense of urgency from the narrative. Side quests can bog the game down and really impact pacing.

That being said, Ubisoft is generally pretty good at open world games. We just don't have enough information right now to make any predictions about the game and the developers choices concerning it.

Armenius

FPS Regular
Star Wars works best when you have a tight narrative. Something structured a bit like Mass Effect Andromeda could work, but open world games always suffer from the same problems. A lack of narrative focus and pacing issues due to the way that people tend to play them. Hit an area, do everything and move on. This open, non-linear gameplay often negatively impacts story as it removes a sense of urgency from the narrative. Side quests can bog the game down and really impact pacing.

That being said, Ubisoft is generally pretty good at open world games. We just don't have enough information right now to make any predictions about the game and the developers choices concerning it.
Massive has done an excellent job with The Division, so I'm sure they'll be able to make something good with the Star Wars license. It's just unfortunate that we will be waiting a long time to see it since the exclusivity deal with EA still doesn't expire until 2023.

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
I'll wait and see how this plays out but it might be enough to get me to reinstall their stuff again. Otherwise, it'd be nice if I could link to GOG Galaxy like Epic.

Armenius

FPS Regular
I'll wait and see how this plays out but it might be enough to get me to reinstall their stuff again. Otherwise, it'd be nice if I could link to GOG Galaxy like Epic.
You can link UPlay through GOG Connect, but it is not working at the moment since Ubisoft changed it to Ubisoft Connect. I don't know when it will be updated.

Dan_D

Administrator
Staff member
Massive has done an excellent job with The Division, so I'm sure they'll be able to make something good with the Star Wars license. It's just unfortunate that we will be waiting a long time to see it since the exclusivity deal with EA still doesn't expire until 2023.
Eh, the Division games never did it for me. But, they are popular so they have to be doing something right.

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
You can link UPlay through GOG Connect, but it is not working at the moment since Ubisoft changed it to Ubisoft Connect. I don't know when it will be updated.
Yeah, I was ready something to that effect this morning. Someday I'll get back to AC 4 and finish it. LOL! I stopped playing sometime around when I had to make a new account again for Ubi and just got sick of the hoops I had to go through to play games I owned.

Become a Patron!