GTA Online’s Loading Times Can Be Reduced by Almost 70 Percent

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gta-online-ill-gotten-gains-2-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Rockstar Games

A GitHub user by the name of tostercx has shared “proof of concept” code that is reportedly capable of reducing GTA Online’s obnoxiously long loading/startup times by as much as 70 percent. As tostercx explains in a technical blog post, Rockstar Games appears to have inadvertently introduced a CPU bottleneck that stems from poorly optimized code and a 10 MB JSON file containing 63,000 item entries, which could result in as many as 1,984,531,500 checks. Evidently, these checks are why GTA Online players have to wait up to six minutes before they can start exploring and speeding their way around Los Santos.

Here’s the TLDR from tostercx:

There’s a single thread CPU bottleneck while starting up GTA OnlineIt turns out GTA struggles to parse a 10MB JSON fileThe JSON parser itself is poorly built / naive andAfter parsing there’s a slow item...

Continue reading...

All that money from micro transactions and they couldn't find the time to fix this....

Honestly they probably assumed that it was fixed, OR the item deduplication code is such a big deal it HAS to happen to keep things clean on their server end.

Honestly they probably assumed that it was fixed, OR the item deduplication code is such a big deal it HAS to happen to keep things clean on their server end.
I hope for their sake you are right, because that loading screen was atrocious.

If only someone would get the single-player campaign load times fixed for this and RDR2 I might actually go back and finish both. Hold my beer doesn't quite describe it. More like go finish the keg and come back.

Become a Patron!
Back