NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition Review

Yep, surprised the hell out of me. Could not load EVGA website to get in the queue, so went to NewEgg and entered the shuffle for the very first time, around 1pm got an email saying I won. It was at MSRP of $1199. It arrived today and is on my desk ready to be installed.

So..... Can I borrow that for a review? Will pay.

So..... Can I borrow that for a review? Will pay.
Well this card is a tad longer than I expected:
WontFit.jpg

Will have to remove the Artic AIO and put back the air cooler for this to work. The 3090 was going to get the hybrid kit plus I was going to make a custom backplate for it and put it into another rig.

Anyways, David, how long would you need it for?

Edit: As a note, one of the big advantages I see with the 3080 Ti FE is the 2 slot size and length that would just make it fit about anything. Plus the cooler while being smaller still can handle the GPU/Mem very well.

Last edited:
That's the main reason I just said eff it and went with the Lian Li XL fishtank-style case. All those tubes and wires getting in each others way.

Things get crowded in those Small Fractal Nano's :)

View attachment 1095
lol, I have one of those Nano cases and replaced it with the above case due to that the power supply blocked air flow to the 3090. Rig is hooked up to a 4K Samsung 120 HDTV, works wonderfully well. Anyways your power supply appears to be not as tall but also only 650w.

That's the main reason I just said eff it and went with the Lian Li XL fishtank-style case. All those tubes and wires getting in each others way.
Nah man, its pretty simple really. Also I have no windows on the nano, so it always looks neat and clean :)

lol, I have one of those Nano cases and replaced it with the above case due to that the power supply blocked air flow to the 3090. Rig is hooked up to a 4K Samsung 120 HDTV, works wonderfully well. Anyways your power supply appears to be not as tall but also only 650w.

Yeah it's a SFF PSU, with a Silverstone offset adapter plate to drop it down to the bottom of the case.
Turns out 650W is enough for me, but you can get SFF PSU's up to 850W these days too.

Yeah it's a SFF PSU, with a Silverstone offset adapter plate to drop it down to the bottom of the case.
Turns out 650W is enough for me, but you can get SFF PSU's up to 850W these days too.
650W is enough for... most anything that you'd want to run as a consumer, really. I've only used larger because the price delta was practically nothing relative to the cost of the system.

And for SFF (or anything close) your system TDP is limited by how much noise you're willing to put up with, as you'd need to run most fans at full tilt to get 650W of heat out of the enclosure consistently ;)

650W is enough for... most anything that you'd want to run as a consumer, really. I've only used larger because the price delta was practically nothing relative to the cost of the system.

And for SFF (or anything close) your system TDP is limited by how much noise you're willing to put up with, as you'd need to run most fans at full tilt to get 650W of heat out of the enclosure consistently ;)
My setup is quite tolerable as far as noise goes. I'm probably a bit more critical about that than your average gamer as well.

Last edited:
I think the 16GB frame buffer makes sense. I do not see us hitting 24GB so soon other than 8k perhaps. And realistically gaming at 8k is a pipe dream with current hardware when not using intelligent upscaling.

Well I was able to get the card installed, after a few modifications, plenty of room :D

FitsNow.jpg
Ran some benchmarks comparing it to my other two cards (6900 XT and 3090), yes spoiled and somehow extremely lucky for once. I was thinking that the Eagle would beat my EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 but it was virtually the same, slightly slower. For these tests Nvida cards were faster at 4K over the 6900 XT. Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro Exodus Enhanced and Shadow Of The Tomb Raider.

ChartCom.png

DLSS Off, Quality, Balance

DLSSchart.png
Notes:
  • Rebar off on 3090 and 3080 Ti, On for 6900 XT
  • RTX 3090 and 3080 Ti tested on a Ryzen 5800x, 16gb at 3600mhz
  • 6900 XT tested on a Threadripper 3960, 64gb at 3600mhz
  • The cards compared:
    • EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra
    • Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Eagle
    • XFX 6900 XT Speedster MERC319
  • Settings: All at 4K resolution (RTX 3090 and 3080 Ti Native, RX 6900 XT using Virtual Super Resolution)
    • RDR2, 4K preset slider set at max settings; Vulcan
    • Metro, 4K; Quality: Extreme; Shading Quality - Extreme; Ray Tracing Ultra; Nvidia DLSS off, quality, balance; Reflections Raytraced; VRS 1x; Hairworks off, Advanced PhysX off; Tesselation Full
    • SOTTR, 4K; Highest Preset Settings; DX 12; RT Shadows Off and then On High
  • Drivers
    • Nvidia - 466.63
    • AMD - 21.5.2

Last edited:
Anyways, David, how long would you need it for?

We can turn it around in about a week if we coordinate it right - shouldn't take more than a couple days of testing, and assume a couple days on each end for transit.

Become a Patron!
Back