Overclocking NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
oc_3080ti_banner-1024x446.jpg

Introduction

On June 2nd, 2021 NVIDIA launched the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition with an MSRP of $1,199.  It’s time to take that GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, overclock it, and see if it can outperform a factory overclocked GeForce RTX 3090!

The GeForce RTX 3080 Ti is basically a cut-down, but very slightly, cut-down GeForce RTX 3090.  It is based on the same GA102 Samsung 8nm die as the GeForce RTX 3090 based on the Ampere architecture.  It has 10,240 CUDA Cores, 112 ROPs, 320 TMUs, 80 RT Cores (2nd Gen) and 320 Tensor Cores (3rd Gen).  The Boost Clock is set at 1665MHz.  It has 12GB of GDDR6X instead of 24GB on the GeForce RTX 3090.  It runs at 19GHz providing 912GB/s over the 384-bit bus.  TDP is 350W.

Another factor that makes...

Continue reading...

I think you could have left the memory at stock or even toned it down a little and still get pretty much the same performance but much better efficiency.

I'm impressed to see it beats the 3090 in pretty much all benches and by a considerable margin on some.

I want a few of these eventually
This is the card I want too, specifically the FE. I plan to start my dedicated loop journey with whatever GPU I pick up next, and with one of these I'd be happy to put that stock FE cooler back on the card later down the road.

I had an AIO 1080Ti, and when I picked up a 1660Ti on the cheap, I sent the 1080Ti to my brother. Main reason was that I couldn't imagine a proper use for it after I'm done with it, and well, that 1660Ti is actually fast enough for everything I'm playing, and anything it isn't fast enough for, the 1080Ti wasn't fast enough for either.

Very nice OCs on the FE, love the FE footprint and looks like even with the OC it was able to keep things cool. I wonder if at 75% fan speed how the temperatures would be? Anyways another great rundown.

I recently experimented with some different OC settings on my Strix 3090. I underclocked the mem(which is factory OC'd) by around 50 Mhz and then OC'd the core with a variation of settings you can commonly find around the internet for them. The results were quite impressive. Depending on the game I saw it averaging anywhere from 2115 to 2150 MHz while holding around 65-75c and fans at 100%. Performance gains vs stock clocks were around the same 7%-8% Brent saw here, and that's over the factory overclock. I'm hoping to put a complete EKWB kit(front+back) on it at some point but just don't have the money for it right now.

Become a Patron!
Back