PlayStation 3 Emulator RPCS3 Can Now Boot the Entire PS3 Library

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
rpcs3-heavenly-sword-1024x576.jpg
Image: RPCS3

The PlayStation 3 emulation community has a great reason to celebrate this week, as the team behind RPCS3, the only active PS3 emulator, has hit a major milestone in regard to compatibility. As noted on the official RPCS3 Twitter feed, the PS3 emulator now has a total of zero games in the “nothing” status. The implication is that RPCS3 can now boot the entire PS3 library, which comprises numerous hits and exclusives such as Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Killzone 2, and God of War: Ascension.

From the RPCS3 team:

We’re delighted to announce that RPCS3 now has a total of ZERO games in the Nothing status! This means that all known games and applications at least boot on the emulator, with no on-going regressions that prevent games from booting. We look forward to emptying out Loadable too!

RPCS3 is a multi-platform open-source PlayStation 3...

Continue reading...

Meanwhile I can't get a freaking ps one game to work properly. One that was already running fine on a Celeron in 1999 or 2000.

Why are people often cheerleading against emulators? Always on the ready to point out that it's not every game that can be run. Or that half a pixel is off somewhere.
I don't think any of us are cheering against them. I've followed this one in particular for several years now and they've made some great achievements but the vast majority of stories for them are about reaching a bootable state, not playable. I was watching them like a hawk in regards to just trying to get the first RDR working. I've tried a few different builds over the years. There's no doubt the amount of hard work involved in trying to rework/emulate code for the PS3. Such an amazing machine.

Why are people often cheerleading against emulators? Always on the ready to point out that it's not every game that can be run. Or that half a pixel is off somewhere.

I'm not bagging on emulators. I was into MAME when BBS's were still a thing and we used floppy disks on a regular basis.

But being able to boot a game and being able to play it are totally different things. I know it's a checkpoint in their long journey, and it's not like the devs are being paid or anything. So good for them.

Become a Patron!
Back