Samsung Caught Cheating in TV Benchmarks

Could be longevity, as it seems brightness related?
Ahh, that might be it.

They could crank it up all the time, but then they'd get accelerated burn-in?

I mean, otherwise I can just picture people thinking, "Well, ****. How do I enable this cheat all the time?" :p

BB contacted me earlier tonight and the LG C2 came in early. Went and picked it up and got everything set up about 2 hours ago. Pretty happy. It doesn't support any 21:9 resolutions but oh well. Other than that it's really nice and seems like the perfect match I've been looking for. I've still got to order a longer HDMI cable for it so for now, moved the rig to just behind the desk. I'll take some pics tomorrow after I pick up some of the mess around it.

BB contacted me earlier tonight and the LG C2 came in early. Went and picked it up and got everything set up about 2 hours ago. Pretty happy. It doesn't support any 21:9 resolutions but oh well. Other than that it's really nice and seems like the perfect match I've been looking for. I've still got to order a longer HDMI cable for it so for now, moved the rig to just behind the desk. I'll take some pics tomorrow after I pick up some of the mess around it.
I haven't looked up specs or reviews or anything at all, but I heard that the C2 was not as good as the C1. In what ways, I'm not sure.

I haven't looked up specs or reviews or anything at all, but I heard that the C2 was not as good as the C1. In what ways, I'm not sure.
Will be interested to hear. C1 was excellent by most accounts, so big shoes to fill.

I've heard the 42" C2 does not have the EVO panel - of which the x2 generation was supposed to be (slightly) brighter than the EVO panel in the G1. But the x1 generation didn't have a 42" panel either, 48" was as small as they got.

Biggest knock I've heard on the C2 is that you just can't find it as cheap (at least, yet) - the EVO panel probably isn't worth the hundreds of dollars difference. But it's only that big of a delta because you're looking at end-of-generation clearance pricing versus brand new premium margin pricing. By Labor Day, prices on C2 should start to drop significantly and be their lowest on Superbowl sales in January, or at least should - as that seems to be the trend LG OLEDs follow.

I read a ton of reviews on it and there were some trade-offs but I can't remember what they were because I was reading a bunch on other displays as well. So far my only complaint is that there are significant changes to the UI from my C9 so it took me sometime last night to navigate to all the settings in order to configure it to my liking. That being said, I've got it configured now to where things look almost the same as the C9. In using it as a desktop monitor the speakers aren't half bad. Dolby Atmos support and the high-end are pretty nice along with the dimensional sound. However, the cheapo soundbar that I had purchased to use with the Samsung CRG9 in 2020 has much better bass and midrange. I'd link it but its gone from Amazon now. That thing still has impressive sound for what it is. I'm sure I'll be tweaking it more for weeks to come. It usually takes me about a month dial in IQ settings to my preference but meanwhile here's a quick snapshot.

Attachments

• c2-demo.jpg
    c2-demo.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
By Labor Day, prices on C2 should start to drop significantly and be their lowest on Superbowl sales in January, or at least should - as that seems to be the trend LG OLEDs follow.
I got friends who usually wait until around Black Friday/Cyber Monday to get new HDTVs. Are sales around Super Bowl time usually better for HDTVs? I haven't bought an HDTV since 2009 so I'm out of the loop on when's the best time of year to grab new TVs. I was gonna replace my current HDTV in 2020, but I had to use the money for a new primary monitor to replace the one I had that died after 9 years, and for car repairs.

I got friends who usually wait until around Black Friday/Cyber Monday to get new HDTVs. Are sales around Super Bowl time usually better for HDTVs?
Usually. However, over the last decade, I've seen a bunch of tech that got discounted during Jul-Aug as well. I didn't want to wait and see but I bought a bunch of PC parts that went on sale during mid-late summer over the years. Not so sure about TVs though.

Didn't know that. Well, on the flip side I can honestly say it's plenty bright enough since I'm only around 3 feet away from it.

edit: Just to add that I'm one of those folks who will have most brightness settings at max, gamma down, blacks as low as comfortable to still look black and not grey-ish, and I think more than a few people would complain about eye strain with how bright I keep my displays. This one included.

Are sales around Super Bowl time usually better for HDTVs?
For last year's models - yes, among some of the best deals you can find (sometimes better than Black Friday, but not always). But that's also the time that current year models are announced - sometimes available, and prices on those are not discounted at all.

Well, I've got a ton of cooking to do outside today and we're likely to get to around 100 so I've to get a start on it now so I can enjoy closing up everything later and cranking the AC and having fun with this while enjoying a shot of Balvenie. I'm so happy to finally have a true 4K gaming experience now. Sure the 40xx cards will only add to it but the 3090 Ti/5800X3D combo is already strutting its stuff with this.

I've got a ton of cooking to do outside today
I don't even know what it all is, but I can smell it already. I guess when I hear mentions of cooking stuff outside, the first thing my mind goes to is grillin'/BBQing.

EDIT:
we're likely to get to around 100
So long winter. Don't let the door hit you on the @ss on the way out. Also do me a favor and don't show your face around here again for a loooooong time.

I'm so happy to finally have a true 4K gaming experience now.
Good shiznit homes. I had to settle for downsampling when running my PS4 Pro on my 1080p TV. I only just moved to 1440p in 2020. Although with some older/lighter-weight games, I've been able to push 4K (the 16:10 version, so 3840x2400) on my previous monitor, and 5K on my current monitor, using nVidia DSR.

Last edited:
I don't even know what it all is, but I can smell it already. I guess when I hear mentions of cooking stuff outside, the first thing my mind goes to is grillin'/BBQing.
Just got the 1st batch in the smoker: Applewood bacon. Got about 2 hours before it's done and that'll get mostly used for making breakfast burritos and then some bison burgers (from Sam's) I'll be doing next weekend. After that a batch of chicken breasts for various recipes over the next two weeks. Meanwhile, we've got 2x 2lb flank steaks marinating that I'll throw on at the end of it all. One is for a stir-fry recipe the wife will do later and the other will be for tonight's dinner.

Just poured that glass of Scotch and now after however many months/years, I'm finally going to dig into CB2077. I've been putting off really getting into it until most of the updates were out and then also after the upgrades that I was lucky enough to complete. Even though I spend a ridiculous amount of money on my rigs I never forget how fortunate I am. This coming from someone who at one time was living out of a Toyota back in the 90s.

Hmm.

Regarding the 21:9 issue.

Maybe you can just have the GPU present it as 3840x2160, letterboxed and set to "preserve aspect ratio" in drivers?

I feel like I ahve done this on screens that didn't support 21:9 in the past.

Hmm.

Regarding the 21:9 issue.

Maybe you can just have the GPU present it as 3840x2160, letterboxed and set to "preserve aspect ratio" in drivers?

I feel like I ahve done this on screens that didn't support 21:9 in the past.
Now that you mention it I remember doing something like that a long time ago and I also remember us talking about custom resolutions a while back in regards to preferred resolutions for gaming. At some point, I'll have to experiment with it.

Rtings posted this today - only ding they had on it was that it didn't have DisplayPort.

Rtings posted this today - only ding they had on it was that it didn't have DisplayPort.

[/URL]
I have to mostly agree with them on all the points they covered. The only thing I'd argue is that text can look good with the right settings. Set sharpness to 25, turn off the super-resolution and keep scaling at 150% and most text looks great. Also, if you have a good HDMI cable, you can push up to 4096x2160 120 Hz 12-bit HDR10 G-Sync. Their review shows it topping at 10-bit. I had the same experience with my C9. Currently, I'm connected via a 6ft cable but have a 15ft arriving today. Fingers crossed it works. It does have VESA holes for anyone wanting to use an arm but I'm happy with the included feet. Due to the height of the display the feet actually work out great and are the least invasive stand/feet I've experienced recently with a display. Can't say it enough. I'm happy with it and, for now, the rig is complete.

I have to mostly agree with them on all the points they covered. The only thing I'd argue is that text can look good with the right settings. Set sharpness to 25, turn off the super-resolution and keep scaling at 150% and most text looks great. Also, if you have a good HDMI cable, you can push up to 4096x2160 120 Hz 12-bit HDR10 G-Sync. Their review shows it topping at 10-bit. I had the same experience with my C9. Currently, I'm connected via a 6ft cable but have a 15ft arriving today. Fingers crossed it works. It does have VESA holes for anyone wanting to use an arm but I'm happy with the included feet. Due to the height of the display the feet actually work out great and are the least invasive stand/feet I've experienced recently with a display. Can't say it enough. I'm happy with it and, for now, the rig is complete.
I'll be looking closely for one once they start going on sale later this year. I spent fairly big on an LG 27GN950 last year, and I'm mostly happy with it, but it's definitely not OLED. I very nearly went with a 48" C1 instead of the 27GN950, but 48" was going to require a lot of rearranging, and compromising with the wife, to make it fit.

Become a Patron!
Back