Samsung Caught Cheating in TV Benchmarks

I would love to have atmos is any form, but it's really hard to do with 20' ceilings in my living room. Actually, really impossible, without a lot of planning and expensive equipment. I can't have up firing atmos speakers as the delay to bounce sound will be too great, and most receivers can't compensate for that kind of delay. And down firing speakers in the ceiling is virtually impossible.
Oh, I hear ya. Our ceilings go up around 23'. For now, I've just got everything set up as 7.1 but there's still some good dimensional feel to it plus you can designate with the receiver what your speaker layout it. I may end up having to go with a 9.2 and just get some of those upward-facing speakers to put on the front stacks.

Another option for the ceiling speakers I've considered is some kind of stand on top of the front stacks to elevate them. I've thought about the delay plus just overall angle issues with just having them that low.

I would love to have atmos is any form, but it's really hard to do with 20' ceilings in my living room. Actually, really impossible, without a lot of planning and expensive equipment. I can't have up firing atmos speakers as the delay to bounce sound will be too great, and most receivers can't compensate for that kind of delay. And down firing speakers in the ceiling is virtually impossible.

Has to do with Dolby Vision and VRR(for PC but who knows if I'll ever use the C9 again for that now that I have the C2), but for 4K discs and Streaming the receiver I have (Onkyo TX-NR646) only supports up to HDR10/60 Hz and Dolby Vision really makes the C9 come alive. For now, I've got everything plugged into it and using eArc to send the audio over to the receiver. However, some apps will not send Atmos that way even though the TV, and receiver both support it. Ironically enough I can plug either the PC and Disc player into the TV and both of them will push Atmos through eArc with no problem. I still have the player and the Shield plugged into it but the Shield doesn't always send Atmos over, it's an app thing.

Ideally, though, you are correct that the best option is to plug everything into the receiver. That's what I was saying before but for now, I am limited to the age of what I have and an odd set of circumstances that prevented Onkyo from continuing those very, very, successful product lines. They made two more gens that I know of, then switched to a different naming schema, and then got sold. After that, I have seen any real continuations of the product lines I like. I blame soundbars. ;)

I'm in no rush but I'm sure everyone knows what it's like to not have their systems running at full optimization. Thankfully the gaming rig is now.

That makes sense.

But so does spending a couple of hundred bucks on a new receiver to make the most of your couple of thousand dollar TV :p

I remember reading that even the older entry level Denon AVR-S710W has been patched with Dolby Vision support since 2018.

Last edited:
older entry Denon AVR-S710W has been patched with Dolby Vision support since 2018
that was Dolby Atmos it got via the update. Easy to confuse. A number of receivers back then got the update for DTS X and Dolby Atmos.

Dolby Vision on the other hand doesn't normally get patched in since it's a bit more hardware limited. Plus this Denon only has 1x HDMI out. Onkyo is one of the few that, back then, consistently included 2. I've tried a handful of splitters that haven't worked so it's still best to have it built into the receiver.

that was Dolby Atmos it got via the update. Easy to confuse. A number of receivers back then got the update for DTS X and Dolby Atmos.

Dolby Vision on the other hand doesn't normally get patched in since it's a bit more hardware limited. Plus this Denon only has 1x HDMI out. Onkyo is one of the few that, back then, consistently included 2. I've tried a handful of splitters that haven't worked so it's still best to have it built into the receiver.

That's not what this Denon support page says:

I'm pretty sure I can get to the ceiling to put in-ceiling speakers - as well as rear in-wall - so I'm looking largely for something that can handle latest codecs / HDR formats + 7-channel surround + 2 channel height + one sub? Or maybe two, if I go one ported and one sealed, so it'd be nice to be able to calibrate them individually from the receiver.

So, 7.1.2, I think. My current Pioneer seems to be able to connect this, but it's 4k60 only and can only do either height or rear surround speakers (switchable), and without VRR support.

I've found that one can get Micca in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for... not much, so I'd probably go that route for those.

I'm pretty sure I can get to the ceiling to put in-ceiling speakers - as well as rear in-wall - so I'm looking largely for something that can handle latest codecs / HDR formats + 7-channel surround + 2 channel height + one sub? Or maybe two, if I go one ported and one sealed, so it'd be nice to be able to calibrate them individually from the receiver.

So, 7.1.2, I think. My current Pioneer seems to be able to connect this, but it's 4k60 only and can only do either height or rear surround speakers (switchable), and without VRR support.

I've found that one can get Micca in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for... not much, so I'd probably go that route for those.

I have no experience with it myself, but I keep hearing others say that unless you are going to go with four height channel speakers, not to bother. Apparently they suggest just two aren't worth it.

I have no experience with it myself, but I keep hearing others say that unless you are going to go with four height channel speakers, not to bother. Apparently they suggest just two aren't worth it.
Well, they're probably right - and personally, four or six height channels wouldn't be much harder than two given the accessibility of the ceiling in this house. I can run more speaker wires and cut more holes pretty easily.

Where I'm much less certain is just how to do the processing. Given receivers doing all kinds of crap that I don't need, i.e., FM receivers, turntable preamps, excessive HDMI inputs and so on, I think I just need a 'surround processor' with a bunch of balanced outputs.

Where I'm much less certain is just how to do the processing. Given receivers doing all kinds of crap that I don't need, i.e., FM receivers, turntable preamps, excessive HDMI inputs and so on, I think I just need a 'surround processor' with a bunch of balanced outputs.
While this is undoubtedly true, a dedicated surround processor will cost anywhere from 5x-obscene amounts of money more than a receiver that does all that crap you don't need it to do, and has what amounts to essentially the same surround processing.

You can thank the audiophile community and their need for "warm" sounds.

Become a Patron!
Back