GTA Publisher Thinks Video Games Should Be Priced at Dollars Per Hour

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Is $69.99 too much to pay for a video game these days? For Take-Two, the answer to that would probably be a hard "no."

See full article...

Interesting ... same answer as mine when asked to buy it.

Yea I don't know about that. 1 buck an hour... I look for a better return.. I'll pay a buck for hour for a game as soon as it comes with the ****ing PC and internet connection to support/install it.

Yeah yeah sure. 10 bucks, that would be a complete success, they should do it.

Yea I don't know about that. 1 buck an hour... I look for a better return.. I'll pay a buck for hour for a game as soon as it comes with the ****ing PC and internet connection to support/install it.
With 1 dollar we will find out how many millions of people play 1 to 5 hours and just drop things.

My answer is also a hard no. Imagine how grindy and tedious games would be if you had to pay for them by the hour?

Anyone who talks about engagement knows nothing about gaming. A 15 hour game can be far more enjoyable and lasting experience than a tedious grindy mmo that you "engaged" with for 50 hours.

Yeah this dynamic would cause game makers to make all kinds of un-fun decisions because of more $$$.
We already know people are willing to pay more for cosmetics, isnt that enough money?
I mean FFS how much did GTA5 make?

Yeah this dynamic would cause game makers to make all kinds of un-fun decisions because of more $$$.
We already know people are willing to pay more for cosmetics, isnt that enough money?
GTA5 made a boat load and lasted so long due to all of the community modding and FiveM. From what I've heard they are integrating something similar to FiveM in to GTA6. Which kind of leads me to believe they moving away from the community modding aspect. If that's true the GTA6 will be DOA for a lot of people. Especially all the RP'ers. FiveM is pretty well ran, mostly because TakeTwo/Rockstar have nothing to do with it.

Sure but only if the players can be equally reimbursed for troubleshooting the often buggy state most games launch in these days. It often takes around 60-90 days before enough patches have been rolled out to address a majority of issues and I can only imagine how much time players have put in by then trying to work around them.

RIP RP. I'm sure they'll be charging the end users to access the feature, charging the servers to host a server, who will then charge the players to play on said servers.

I doubt that strategy would work, players would just abandon those games. no fun= no play

If... IF any of this were to be accepted in any way... I have some caveats.

1. The game should be charged by actual PLOT hours and time. I don't care if there are 4000 hours of unique dialog in a game, all voice acted. If my actual engagement with the store is 40 hours of actual content... and 60 hours of moving through terrain to go from Y to X to get N and deliver to B. The ACTUAL engagement time is that 40 hours. Not everything in between.

I was ok with subscriptions in my MMOs - they were live service (using the actual technical definition of the word, not the new colloquialism) and I understood that my subscription fee was to keep the lights on in a virtual world that required some amount of housekeeping and upkeep. No problem with that.

Game services like Xbox Game Pass are not far off from that - flat monthly rate gets you access to whatever.

That's about as close to "pay per hour" as I want to get. I never played games at the arcade because a quarter per life adds up really really fast, and this feels an awful lot like trying to turn your gaming experience into an arcade machine.

I never played games at the arcade because a quarter per life adds up really really fast, and this feels an awful lot like trying to turn your gaming experience into an arcade machine.
That's what it reminds me of too.

Let me introduce GTA's publisher to community editions.

I will never. Let me reiterate never under any circumstance pay a subscription fee for any form of software. Operating system, productivity software, game, you name it. It will not happen.

I used to use Adobe products and Microsoft Office. I don't anymore. There is a reason for that.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back