LG 2024 OLED TVs Will Support Refresh Rates of Up to 144 Hz

The current ones are 120Hz so … not a huge leap. My old one is 60Hz and I won’t lie, I’ve been eyeballing a new one for a while. But it still works and I barely watch TV or use it any more …

I have, supposed, 120hz tv/monitors, at 4k they only do 60hz (in part due to the hdmi level of the monitor I think).

I would be happy to get 144 to work with the FreeSync.

For a tv, whats the point? No point at all , no point in 15years either.
Now to buy said tv to use as a monitor for a pc, I guess that helps.

For a tv, whats the point? No point at all , no point in 15years either.
Now to buy said tv to use as a monitor for a pc, I guess that helps.
Some people like that "soap opera effect" that the higher refresh rate produces. I can't stand it.

Otherwise, PS5 and Xbox both support VRR. It can be useful there.

If my TV ever dies, I guess I will look at some Oled, I think more than anything I would look for good color, contrasts and black specially.

Last edited:
I want a C2 or maybe C3 at some point around the 40 inch size range to be my new main monitor. But that will wait until other goals are reached.

I know it's trendy in displays to want "all the hertz" but I am perfectly happy with 120hz. Heck, I'd be perfectly happy with 90hz.

I still maintain that 60fpps is an acceptable minimum, at least for single player titles, and I really see no reason to ever exceed 120hz, even if you are the worlds biggest "esports" fan.

More than just raw refresh rate, whats important IMHO, are low input lag and VRR, and they already do that, so...

I want a C2 or maybe C3 at some point around the 40 inch size range to be my new main monitor. But that will wait until other goals are reached.

I just made that transition to a 42" C3 and while it has some minor annoyances associated with having a TV as a monitor, overall I am very happy with it. Text clarity could be better. (The WRGB subpixel layout really messes with that) so it is not necessarily the worlds best productivity screen, but for entertainment purposes (gaming, film tv etc.) I don't think there is anything better out there.

It makes absolutely no sense that neither AMD nor Nvidia don't use CEC and other HDMI features to turn TV's on and off like they do with monitors.

I have to say it boggles my mind that my good friends who live in a million dollar house think a good tv is just the biggest one for the dollar...
Funny you say this - my next door neighbor just had his 87" TV custom delivered. He was talking about how it was so much better than the OLEDs because the sales guy said you needed too much bandwidth on the internet to make it look good.

I just kept my mouth shut. The dude hates my dogs, so I hate him.

Fuggin idiots. Well.. at least in that area of expertise.

I love my C2. It's basically my reference for when I want to see all that a game has to offer. The extra Hz could be nice but I find it difficult to tell the difference once it gets much higher than 100-110. I had a crapola MSI 200 Hz 21:9 1080p display that I accidentally destroyed (dropped something big and heavy on) but before that happened I did a test and hooked up the 4090 rig to it just to hammer some FPS to it and I really had a hard time perceiving the difference with those extra frames above 120.

Other than software and available ports, considering the panel only, what is the main/real differences between a TV and Monitor?

I dont know enough about the insides of the tech to say which leaves me curious. My understanding is that software in the TV for image clarity is what causes the severe input lag - thus game mode turns it off.

What causes text to be less sharp? Other than Chroma - that I know.

Thanks

Some people like that "soap opera effect" that the higher refresh rate produces. I can't stand it.
You're thinking of "motion interpolation" that is often known by names such as Samsung AutoMotion and LG TruMotion. That's not the actual refresh rate of the panel, that's a feature that inserts fake frames in between every real frame.

Other than software and available ports, considering the panel only, what is the main/real differences between a TV and Monitor?

I dont know enough about the insides of the tech to say which leaves me curious. My understanding is that software in the TV for image clarity is what causes the severe input lag - thus game mode turns it off.

What causes text to be less sharp? Other than Chroma - that I know.

Thanks

Software is the difference. The panels are basically the same, it's how the software deals with what you are putting in to it and how the manufacturer wants the image displayed. Monitors have to be more sharp for text, which is why movies generally look like poo on them. TV's are softened a lot more, otherwise, again, movies would look like poo.

What causes text to be less sharp?

The subpixel layout has a large effect on this. TVs tend to have non-ideal subpixel layouts.

Yep, it's all about the subpixel layout.

TV's in general are bad compared to screens marketed as monitors.

All screens have some issues with subpixel layouts. Windows is pretty good at optimizing for screens with traditional RGB layouts. That's what ClearType was all about. But many (most?) traditional LCD TV's flipped the panel upside down for some reason, resulting in a BGR layout, which totally throws off current versions of ClearType and results in poor font rendering. Some gaming monitors do this as well, which is annoying.

OLED TV's have been particularly bad in this regard. In order to crank up brightness without over-volting existing elements many (most?) have added a white subpixel in addition to RGB, allowing for higher peak white brightness with less burn-in potential. This results in a WRGB layout. As bad as ClearType looks on BGR, it looks even worse on WRGB, with blocky text, and color fringing in some cases.

Some Linux window managers have added subpixel optimization for non RGB layouts. My Cinnamon Desktop in Linux Mint has a few options:

Antialiasing:
- None
- Grayscale
- RGBa

RGBA Order
- RGBA
- RGB
- BGR
- Vertical RGB
- Vertical BGR

The Greyscale and BGR settings worked great for me on my old Asus XG438Q monitor which was BGR, but I haven't found a setting I am truly happy with with the LG C3. Setting font antialiasing to Grayscale seems to help on OLED's, but it is not perfect.

I am hopeful that over time Microsoft will add BGR like Linux does, and that both will add better subpixel smoothing for WRGB, but as of right now, that has not happened.

And don't let me scare you away from getting an OLED screen. While it is noticeable with black text on white background, and can be annoying at first, you get used to it pretty quickly. It is almost completely imperceptible on white or light text on dark backgrounds, or with most other colors.

I would suggest maybe viewing an OLED TV displaying PC content in person first though, to see if you think you are happy with it. Just bear in mind that out of the box, settings for PC use may be pretty miserable, and make them look horrible, so google a settings guide for the model you are interested in and make sure you give setting optimal settings for desktop use a try first before passing judgment.

The "black text on white background" issue is the biggest downside to life with an OLED TV as a monitor. Everything else is absolutely superb in ways I didn't think possible before getting one. I absolutely love my 42" LG C3 in games, movies and TV in ways I find difficult to properly express. I used to not "get" HDR, and the importance of true blacks, but now I do. It can truly be transformative, especially in titles with good HDR support. (Think Cyberpunk 2077)

Last edited:
Can someone explain LG model nr's for me as I don't see a C2 or C3 model anywhere.

What we are referring to are the C series of LG OLED TV's. If you look on LG.com the actual model numbers are like. OLED32C3PUA. The C3 is what we mean when we say 42 inch C3. I hope that helps. There are several different EVO lines of TV's from LG. You have the M series (Movie series. HUGE TV's. Huge $$'s too big for monitor use.), then the G series.. (Still larger... not sure what the G actually stands for. But those are 55 inch to 83 inch.), then the C series.. Consumer? Maybe Computer... It's very popular to use the 42 inch C series for computer displays. Pretty much the only one to come down in size to 42 inch other than the Flex, if you want curved and to spend... 2500 bucks for a 42 inch curved display.. that's where the flex comes in.

https://www.lg.com/us/oled-tvs?ds_r...7zC878RbskQqzBYHpykaApHeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Become a Patron!
Back